Azores to Solent

G

Hi Folks,

Like the new Forum? Easy enough to use isnt' it?
So I am flying out to Horta this Saturday. A sailing pal of mine called the Tuesday before last and asked if I could go to the Azores to meet and Navigate / Crew a 56 foot Cat back to the Solent. Ha! could I?
So I am now do to fly out the on Saturday and on Monday we are due to depart Horta for the Solent. I have never been to the Azores , so what should I do whilst I am there? Where do I have to go? Peters Sport Bar for example.
Any Advise welcome . . . .

Regards

Simes

G

Peter Cafe Sport is good. If you have the time hire a car, the interior is stunning. There's a drive to the top of an old volcano with good views. There are also a few small restaurants in the town not to mention a bar at the end of the harbour where the sailing and fishing folk tend to gather.

Enjoy the trip

Chris

SteveC

Visit site
Simes, in case you can't hire a car-hire ataxi for the day(negotiate price for the day)v.cheap and get him to take you to the old lighthouse which now stands inland because of last volcano eruption (within the last few hundred years I believe). Peter's bar a must, a few crates of wine to bring back,bought at"wineshop" in road behind Peter's, and of course paint your boat's and your name on the harbourwall. Whalewatching on departure oh and have a good one.

G

For a start you can say a big hello to a friend of mine. Miss Linnet Woods who is the first mate on Leopard Normaned who is at the moment there for a further 4 weeks.
Linnet is also the editor of www.theseamag.com I am sure she will make you feel welcome.
Regards
Bluebeard

snowleopard

Visit site
A stroll..

up the isolated hill to the SW of Horta Marina is well worth it. A trip to the tope of the central mountain is worthwhile, the crater inside is very impressive.