Autohelm (Raymarine) ST1000 connection to chartplotter

All_at_Sea

Visit site
Hello all
I have a Autohelm ST1000 tiller pilot with the 3 pin pug, ie a seatalk output. I also have just acquired an old Raymarine RC435 chartplotter and l would like to connect the two. What's the cheapest way to do this? I will need some sort of converter between NMEA & Seatalk presumably?
I can't afford the £199 being charged by Raymarine for theirs.....

PaulRainbow

Visit site
OK so l do need some sort of converter then,

You do indeed, apologies for my duff steer, i was looking at the my copy of the ST+ manual. You will need a NMEA 0183 to Seatalk converter. Now i think of it, i have a E85001 Seatalk 1 to NMEA 0183 Converter that i keep meaning to put on the for sale forum, no longer needed as i'm all Garmin now, pm me if interested.

chewi

Visit site
I wouldn't bother.
It won't follow a route without obliging you to confirm a turn( for safety reasons, there might be a boat in the way!), so you may as well set the ST1000 to a bearing, hold that course and reset if after a turn.

WoodyP

Visit site
I wouldn't bother.
It won't follow a route without obliging you to confirm a turn( for safety reasons, there might be a boat in the way!), so you may as well set the ST1000 to a bearing, hold that course and reset if after a turn.
That's what I do with an ST2000, but the thing I miss is not being able to set it to wind.