Attainable Adventure Cruising website...anyone use it?

Tim O

Visit site
$2.50 per month for a year or $1.99 per month if you sign up for three years so basically about fifteen to twenty quid......peanuts really if the info is good, which it looks like.

Of course there may be other similar sites for free but I like how they had arranged a lot of info on particular topics into online ebooks

GHA

Visit site
Just had a look. There are some interesting looking articles. Just how modest was the subscription?
£10.19 I paid for the year. I've subscribed for a while now. For long distance long term cruising imho, very much worth 50p a week. Not just for the articles, not all of which I completely agree with, but the comments are often as useful as the articles coming predominantly from been there done that experienced cruisers talking from real world extensive experience and not opinion. (unlike other places.... ;) )

D

Deleted member 36384

I am using it. It is an opinion website, not a forum. The experienced owner offers his opinion on what is good and not good on equipment and methods / techniques for cruising. The format is a series of eBooks explaining the owners opinion e.g. jackstays -position and methods of manoeuvring around the yacht on jackstays; anchoring methods. They allow comments to be posted on their website after each eBook is published. The eBooks and methods / techniques are very well researched with conclusions drawn from a number of sources not just the owners experience. This is very much a belt and braces style of cruising, not relevant to pottering around the Firth of Clyde e.g. anchor windlasses criteria specifies massive windlasses. I purchased his Norwegian pilots books, paper copies, they are good books, quality. I subscribe to the website because I find the subject matter interesting and I like the black and white style of the information. The subscription is irrelevant as far as I am concerned as it is real experience that you are accessing.

I would suggest that nearly all the information is available for free on the web and that a diligent search would produce the same information, but on his website it is concise and concentrated, no fluff and contradiction. I believe you can trust the opinion, so don't have all the filtering and sorting that goes on with a WWW search.

Somefolks might not like his style of writing or his take it and leave it attitude.

Tim O

Visit site
Sounds good to me.....and although I'm more likely to be pottering than long distance cruising, I'd like to feel that the boat is capable of doing the former and is safe and reliable as possible if it ever comes to the crunch.

I liked the no nonsense distillation of lots of experience, and think that I can pick out the bits most relevant to my needs.....also as I will be living aboard there should be lots of stuff relevant to that. As you say, it's peanuts really to save lots of browsing time......

GHA

Visit site
Sounds good to me.....and although I'm more likely to be pottering than long distance cruising, I'd like to feel that the boat is capable of doing the former and is safe and reliable as possible if it ever comes to the crunch.

I liked the no nonsense distillation of lots of experience, and think that I can pick out the bits most relevant to my needs.....also as I will be living aboard there should be lots of stuff relevant to that. As you say, it's peanuts really to save lots of browsing time......
Another one for your bookmarks..

http://estarzinger.com/estarzinger/index.aspx

Richard10002

Visit site
Anyone use thisonline resource.....sounds like it could be really useful but there is a modest subscription so wondered if anyone has used it and what opinions are?

https://www.morganscloud.com

I read a lot of their stuff in 2006-2010 when the site was free and I think they ultimately benefited from a bit of advertising and free stuff to review. A great resource which, if it continues in the same vein, is worth much much more than the requested subscription.

I dont need much of this type of stuff on the canal system but, out of interest, I "subscribed" without paying. A complete waste of time... the thrust of the articles available for free are such as to repeatedly encourage paid subscription.... which is peanuts, and worth much more, as has been said.

I would guess that the owners have said that they are happy with a small/insignificant subscription on the basis that if they can get several thousand subscribers, it can become a significant sum.

Tim O

Visit site
I will subscribe then.....I love reading all this sort of thing, and cheaper than a magazine, plus you don't need space to store it!!

Tim O

Visit site
Indeed..anting that can explain the mystery of batteries to me is worth a battery Weight in gold

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
I subscribed for three or four years prior to setting off on my own modest scruising adventure. As others have said, packed with tons of sound advice explained in often painstaking detail, always erring on the safest side of doing anything but written by people who go and get their kicks in high latitudes, so fair enough.
I unsubscribed after setting off on my cruise as I think I got out of the site everything I needed. But it's influence is still around my boat, from my choice of anchor to how I prioritise the time and money I spend preparing for each year of being out their attaining my own little cruising adventures.

Neeves

Visit site
I don't subscribe but I hear good things about the site from people I respect. I do manage to obtain 'pirate' copies from subscribers of areas that interest me and find the views expressed interesting though sometimes I don't wholeheartedly agree. In this latter point I'm amongst friends - even though people here know the recommendations on some topics - they blatantly ignore it.

What I find surprising is that given its solid reputation - so few people here have commented to this specific thread. There are plenty of people on here making decent heroic voyages whom I might have thought would have subscribed - but maybe they are busy doing and don't have the inclination to post. Our heroic voyagers may of course be contributors and don't have the need to subscribe (though I might have thought they would be more vocal.

Does it tend to have an Amerocentric flavour?

Jonathan

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I subscribed for many years, but have joined the Ocean Cruising Club and get very similar information from them.

I belong to both. The OCC is a fine organisation but you get what I might call ‘raw information’. If I am already reasonably well informed on a point I can use the OCC mixture of experience and opinion but if I am just coming to terms with something then I will read AAC first as the data is pre digested, so to speak, by people whose judgement I know I can trust.