Attacked by Pirates

differentroads

blog.offbeatsadventures.com
Really interesting tale, told well. Glad it ended safely for everyone on board.
A few days ago I was reading an american forum on having guns on board. There was a bunch of blowhards saying how they do or would carry guns on board to fight off pirates. I can imagine how this encounter would have ended much more badly in their scenario.
I once met an old swedish sailor preparing for his seventh transatlantic crossing. He told me that on the first two crossings he carried a pistol. But when he was boarded in the night in the carribean and came up into the cockpit with his gun the robber calmly shot him in the leg (he showed me the entry and exit wound scars), picked up his gun and handed it to his mate, then proceeded to ransack the boat as my aquaintance bled profusely. Another boat in the anchorage heard the shots and raised the alarm. The police got to him in time to staunch the wound and get him to hospital, saving his life. He was quite clear to me about the foolishness of carrying guns against people that are more desperate than you or outgun you

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Thank you for watching it - It was certainly an interesting experience and I agree with everything you say about guns - I have no problem with them if you have overwhelming fire power and are trained to use them... and willing to kill - I know a big American Sailing boat that went through the area and up the middle of the Red Sea under power with 8 men on board all armed with Asselt rifles, shotguns and grenade launchers and I am certain they could have taken on most pirate attacks successfully - And actually I have no problem with that but for ordinary mortals in small boats I totally agree that carrying a firearm is counter productive..
Very pleased you enjoyed the video
Michael

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
He told me that on the first two crossings he carried a pistol. But when he was boarded in the night in the carribean and came up into the cockpit with his gun the robber calmly shot him in the leg (he showed me the entry and exit wound scars), picked up his gun and handed it to his mate, then proceeded to ransack the boat as my aquaintance bled profusely.

Carrying a gun only makes 'sense' if you are willing to use it first.
Waving it about does not deter someone who also has one.

Budgieboy

Visit site
I got tracked by a fishing vessel for 4 days mid South Pacific , lost it about 7 days away from French Polynesia , lots of calls to Falmouth S and R also the French who told me to surrender if boarded , not nice , know sort of how this feels after a long solo passage .