Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

FlyingGoose

Visit site
@FlyingGoose I don't know how we're supposed to be aware of your condition. I certainly wasn't until now. I thought you were just a very boring and disruptive poster trying to ram your point of view down everyone else's throat. Now that I've been made aware of your Asperger's I understand and apologise for my inadvertently intolerant posts yesterday.
That's very kind of you to say so but I agree with you I can be boring and it can come across as lecturing to force a point across it is an infliction that can annoy people . My daughter has aspergers as well worse than me my poor wife despairs as a 49 year old and ten year old will argue and fight for control of the remote , or how to spell a word
When I go off on one it can be like a speed train I mean no offense or negativity to others but I do endeavour to put a lid on it . I annoy myself sometimes and the poor wife will not discuss anything with me ,

D

Deleted member 36384

i can totally see where the " Goose " ( ;) ) ...

There is only one Goose / The Goose and he copped it in Mad Max. He drove a KZ1000. Johnny The Boy threw a lump of metal into the windscreen of the pick up truck that The Goose was driving and caused it to crash. Then ToeCutter forced Johnny The Boy to set fire to The Goose, trapped in the crashed pick up truck.

cherod

Visit site
There is only one Goose / The Goose and he copped it in Mad Max. He drove a KZ1000. Johnny The Boy threw a lump of metal into the windscreen of the pick up truck that The Goose was driving and caused it to crash. Then ToeCutter forced Johnny The Boy to set fire to The Goose, trapped in the crashed pick up truck.
mad Max , 1 and 2 ,, great movies, great bikes (y)

RupertW

Visit site
Waiting now to hear more from those ( who think ) they can read the mind of a whale :ROFLMAO:
What part of facts and solutions are mind reading whales. I have a big objection to those who start by saying it didn’t happen, then that it isn’t still happening, then that the word used is wrong and follow it up by a lot of guff about behaviour and motivation.

The motivation would be only be interesting if it helped us find a solution to them seeking out and damaging yachts but otherwise all that matters here is what can be done to make sailing safer again in that area. If a particular elephant in a nature reserve started pushing and seriously damaging occupied vehicles the solution would be swift and humane.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Quite extraordinary that anyone could believe that there can be a solution without understanding the cause ,, :rolleyes:
Nonsense.

I could give you two perfect solutions right now. 1) ban yachts from sailing in the area. 2) Cull the Orca's.

They would both fix the problem. Of course they would also create others.
In fact almost all problems are solved without fully understanding the cause because to do so would require infinite knowledge of everything and apart from one or two posters on here no-one else has that.

RupertW

Visit site
Quite extraordinary that anyone could believe that there can be a solution without understanding the cause ,, :rolleyes:
Then you clearly have never heard of a discipline called Medicine or the concept of double blind testing which is the foundation of all evidence based medicine. Or of ballistics or electric motors or almost anything invented, created or tested. Or indeed military thinking. Nobody knew why quinine worked and paraffin didn’t when trying to treat malaria or exactly what caused malaria but could objectively judge what solutions worked. A general doesn’t need to know the motivation of the army fighting them.

You don’t need to understand the cause to come up with potential solutions and see which ones work to either change or forecast what will happen next.

Understanding causes can be great and helpful but is not necessary.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Nonsense.

I could give you two perfect solutions right now. 1) ban yachts from sailing in the area. 2) Cull the Orca's.

They would both fix the problem. Of course they would also create others.
In fact almost all problems are solved without fully understanding the cause because to do so would require infinite knowledge of everything and apart from one or two posters on here no-one else has that.
You are quite correct they need to be culled. This is learned behavior and they will pass it on from one generation to another. If there are only 7 in the pod it is not a high price to pay.

laika

Visit site

I doubt I'm alone here in finding neither of those acceptable. Nor will I be alone in being concerned for the welfare of the animals as well as that of myself, my crew and my fellow sailors. Speculation that the behaviour may have been prompted by a change to the animals' environment which may be negatively impacting an already small population is surely not unreasonable. If that's the case finding a way to stop damage to boats without identifying a cause of the behaviour change is possibly leaving half the problem unaddressed. Without understanding a cause, whatever instigated the behaviour change may still be harming the animals even if we find a way to stop that ending in boat damage.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Been thinking and researching this for some insight to this behaviour
In biological science we base this on the hypotheses or to prove the null hypotheses
There has been many reports of predation of longline fishing by orcas in Australia and other parts of the world
We know these orcas are endangered in this area probably due to the usual over fishing
As a learned behaviour is over a time frame it could be hypothesised that these orcas are looking for foods like fishing scraps net escapes and long line fishing , which offers them a quick easy meal .
They may now interpret boats as all food machines and if no fish are present . Bump the boats and get agitated , these are extremely intelligent, just like a dog might bark for its dinner or grab its bowl these orcas could be demanding food
Only a hypotheses but clearly not their normal behaviour. To find out more it would be good to talk to the fishing fleet about their encounters to collaborate information

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Been thinking and researching this for some insight to this behaviour
In biological science we base this on the hypotheses or to prove the null hypotheses
There has been many reports of predation of longline fishing by orcas in Australia and other parts of the world
We know these orcas are endangered in this area probably due to the usual over fishing
As a learned behaviour is over a time frame it could be hypothesised that these orcas are looking for foods like fishing scraps net escapes and long line fishing , which offers them a quick easy meal .
They may now interpret boats as all food machines and if no fish are present . Bump the boats and get agitated , these are extremely intelligent, just like a dog might bark for its dinner or grab its bowl these orcas could be demanding food
Only a hypotheses but clearly not their normal behaviour. To find out more it would be good to talk to the fishing fleet about their encounters to collaborate information

I'm not surprised you came to this conclusion. You even liked it when it was first posted:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
An interesting comment about far more fishing boats , and less/no "attacks" on fishing boats.

We know in South Africa that feeding monkeys and baboons does lead to aggressive actions when they come used to having food given to then and when food i not attacks take place.

If the orca's have become used to getting food from the local fishing boats and mistake a yacht to a fishing boat where the crew do not have any fish or fish entrails to thrown overboard the orcas feed on could be a cause of these actions.