Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I'm not surprised you came to this conclusion. You even liked it when it was first posted:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Science in the biological sciences are based on the null hypotheses if you want to critique posts which are just putting out hypotheses then with the greatest respect to yourself may I ask you to read up on the process of a. Writing a biological paper b. Getting printed in a journal and disproving the hypotheses.
I have as an aspie been on this problem all day researching and trying to find within the science any correlation for these incidents
If we can understand why it gives us a better chance for less boats getting damaged and no killing of orcas which in my books is a win win
I assume like most you see the problem and the solution is kill it get rid of it move it on , well my good Comrade if we did that to the biodiversity of the world were does it stop are humans next , !!
I do believe a certain nutter in 1933 came up with some kind of solution for mankind .

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Never said it was unique
Never asked tou to comment on my autism
Never asked you to call me an ass
Never asked you to be rude
Please refrain from such comments I find then offensive

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Well, you've certainly proved Godwin's Law true. Well done.
[/
So a philosophers/professor writes an article calling it after himself which is then used for scientific analysis by those that read such tripe
And yet when people and experts in their field of proper science try and come up with legitimate hypotheses you disregard it
Who do you think has a better grasp on the world around us
Me you or non see we believe what we want to read which is the worst thing you can do , always look for the second story investigate what you have been told or just believe what you want.
I yearn for the truth hence why I was a scientist and i married one
One can argue at least i am trying to find out,

RupertW

Visit site
Been thinking and researching this for some insight to this behaviour
In biological science we base this on the hypotheses or to prove the null hypotheses
There has been many reports of predation of longline fishing by orcas in Australia and other parts of the world
We know these orcas are endangered in this area probably due to the usual over fishing
As a learned behaviour is over a time frame it could be hypothesised that these orcas are looking for foods like fishing scraps net escapes and long line fishing , which offers them a quick easy meal .
They may now interpret boats as all food machines and if no fish are present . Bump the boats and get agitated , these are extremely intelligent, just like a dog might bark for its dinner or grab its bowl these orcas could be demanding food
Only a hypotheses but clearly not their normal behaviour. To find out more it would be good to talk to the fishing fleet about their encounters to collaborate information
You are still missing the point which is how to stop them and a better solution than the evidence that local fisherman have been hacking at them. Should it be rifles, rocket flares, percussion bombs, playing Motörhead?

If I am being mugged I have little interest in what is leading my mugger to play with me in that way. I just want to get away and be safe.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
You are still missing the point which is how to stop them and a better solution than the evidence that local fisherman have been hacking at them. Should it be rifles, rocket flares, percussion bombs, playing Motörhead?

If I am being mugged I have little interest in what is leading my mugger to play with me in that way. I just want to get away and be safe.
Not missing the point but I understand what you are saying , to solve a problem sometimes you need to understand why
Ofc as a scientist and lover of these animals I do not wish them harm but also understand that human activity on the water is increasing and encounters between humans and sea life is inevitable hence shark nets at beaches. Etc
Unless each yatch would like to have a harpoon gun up front other solutions need to be found and to identify if this is a lone orca in a pod, different pods different orcas , we can not just kill them all for the sake of potentially one bad apple for the sake of some damage to a boat , a life cannot be taken for a cash value of some ones yatch IMHO.. but that is my opinion and i am allowed to voice it without harassment (company excluded)I

Wansworth

Visit site
Are they getting some kind of reward for their actions.Having lived i in the Vigo area and been fishing and sailing this is the first time I have heard of Orcas.We normally see dolphins and related mammals in the rias

RupertW

Visit site
Not missing the point but I understand what you are saying , to solve a problem sometimes you need to understand why
Ofc as a scientist and lover of these animals I do not wish them harm but also understand that human activity on the water is increasing and encounters between humans and sea life is inevitable hence shark nets at beaches. Etc
Unless each yatch would like to have a harpoon gun up front other solutions need to be found and to identify if this is a lone orca in a pod, different pods different orcas , we can not just kill them all for the sake of potentially one bad apple for the sake of some damage to a boat , a life cannot be taken for a cash value of some ones yatch IMHO.. but that is my opinion and i am allowed to voice it without harassment (company excluded)I
I agree with most of what you say above, but it’s not about the cash value it‘s about the way the orca (or orcas) are disabling boats‘ steering when they are out at sea. That is new and very unwelcome hazard.

I posited the example above of a single elephant in a nature reserve acting in a way that was unusually dangerous to human visitors. In those circumstance the individual would be shot and that may be the only safe thing to do this time, preferably by the local authorities. Of course a better solution needs to be sought but only for so long.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I agree with most of what you say above, but it’s not about the cash value it‘s about the way the orca (or orcas) are disabling boats‘ steering when they are out at sea. That is new and very unwelcome hazard.

I posited the example above of a single elephant in a nature reserve acting in a way that was unusually dangerous to human visitors. In those circumstance the individual would be shot and that may be the only safe thing to do this time, preferably by the local authorities. Of course a better solution needs to be sought but only for so long.
It is not uncoming for interaction with rudders and orcas , I back up my colleague in the guardian article who quoted this exact same thing
Boats hit whales all the time but we assume it was always sleeping on the surface, although no one seen it . Whales , dolphins are curious and not unlike humans can get it wrong
The more aggressive approach of these incidents being reported are of some concern. But for the thousand a of boats each year in this area we here only these stores now
The analogue of the rogue elephant is different in this case , we know much more about elephant behaviour and why it is reacting , but we know little of orca behaviour, we know more about our moon than we do about our oceans
Also orcas live in a spatial environment to land animals they do not pee on trees for territory marking they have vast amounts of water to be in and hunt , as my previous hypotheses suggests it could be linked to behavioural change due to longline fishing and other stressors,
How many seagulls follow a yatch
How many seagulls follow a fishing boat
Ae the seagulls stupid or intelligent

cherod

Visit site
Interesting ( maybe not to everyone ) is that similar situation occurs in the PNW where fishermen share the fishing grounds with orcas and also kill them ( mostly young apparently ) but no such “ attacks “ have been reported