Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

cherod

Visit site
Yes , i actually worked in one , for 4 days , not nice place , i also been in a food factory , put me off processed food for life , Still dont like orcas , tbh , dont much like any animals of prey , much prefer things like elephants , bison , deer , whales , etc

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Yes , i actually worked in one , for 4 days , not nice place , i also been in a food factory , put me off processed food for life , Still dont like orcas , tbh , dont much like any animals of prey , much prefer things like elephants , bison , deer , whales , etc
You do know that certain cetaceans eat other animals to. Just because bambi upsets people and little fluffy seals get eaten . It is called the circle of life (yes I watch the lion king) but in a more scientific perspective it is called the food web with top down predation,the orca is top of that web, as the apex predator and to interfere or stop them feeding can create a cascade effect through the web.
Let's look at the human perspective, seals eat fish , a lot of fish , the fishermen are peed off because they shot, captured, chased away the apex predator keeping seal numbers in check , as all the fish are being eaten the smaller species have a chance to populate, they then feed more on the plankton denying other species of this rich food source right up to the biggest animal on the planet the blue whale that sees it food source depleted were it used to migrate to get its fat reserves so that it can calf in warmer less food abundant waters, it calfs a baby blue whale but because it does not have enough fat to produce milk the baby blue whale dies, and sir attenbourgh does a nice story showing the baby whale starving and we all go bloody shame and a tear forms, but no one mentions the food web and we go on hating orcas.

cherod

Visit site
Looking at the video that looks a large animal , as said , if that animal felt threatened it would not just give you a little smack it would attack ( proper use of the word ) you in a serious and overwhelming manner and you would all be lucky to survive and tell the tale , have you ever seen a large animal attack , it is not play .

AndrewL

Visit site
Dougal Robertson - boat sunk after being attacked by killer whales.
One very good book. Survive the savage sea.
Dougal Robertson - Wikipedia
One of his sons wrote The Last Voyage of the Lucette, which describes the years before the voyage and the voyage before the sinking and then switches to the unmodified 'Survive the Savage Sea'. If anyone is interested in the story, try and find this version.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I see not long before your usual rhetoric of small minded abuse comes out , what local wildlife experts marine mammal biology in which I studied and worked in is pretty uniform around the world we all agree as we all collaborate and work together but I shall humbly vow to you in you inferior knowledge of the orca

In truth - and you MUST admit as much after the disclosure of bite marks - your knowlege of Orca is perhaps not as all encompassing as you would have us believe.

I have been up close and somewhat aprehensive to a pod of Orca in Wellington Harbour. Fortunately they were busy feeding on Kawahai, circling around and driving them into a bunch.

IIRC there is a well documented account of a wooden yacht attacked and sunk by a single Orca in the North Pacific. The crew, a family, suffered severe hardship but survived.

IMHO your sweeping pronouncement " She did not attack you " was at the very least premature, made before you had the full facts and wearing your marine biologist's hat.

Engage brain before operating keyboard.............................................

johnalison

Visit site
You do know that certain cetaceans eat other animals to. Just because bambi upsets people and little fluffy seals get eaten . It is called the circle of life (yes I watch the lion king) but in a more scientific perspective it is called the food web with top down predation,the orca is top of that web, as the apex predator and to interfere or stop them feeding can create a cascade effect through the web.
Let's look at the human perspective, seals eat fish , a lot of fish , the fishermen are peed off because they shot, captured, chased away the apex predator keeping seal numbers in check , as all the fish are being eaten the smaller species have a chance to populate, they then feed more on the plankton denying other species of this rich food source right up to the biggest animal on the planet the blue whale that sees it food source depleted were it used to migrate to get its fat reserves so that it can calf in warmer less food abundant waters, it calfs a baby blue whale but because it does not have enough fat to produce milk the baby blue whale dies, and sir attenbourgh does a nice story showing the baby whale starving and we all go bloody shame and a tear forms, but no one mentions the food web and we go on hating orcas.
There was a TV programme a year or two ago about an American scientist who discovered how important apex predators are to maintain biodiversity. Sadly, I have forgotten his name. He studied rock pools after he removed, I think, the crabs, and the pools became deserts with virtually a mono-species. The eventual theory became quite complicated but the conclusion appears to be applicable to all systems.

laika

Visit site
It would be interesting to note the underwater hull colour.

+1. The cetacean/hull colour question has been discussed here and elsewhere before usually with people arguing some whales are colour blind (though not orcas) and that cetaceans don’t attack boats (or “tooth play” or suitable euphemism for “attack”). With a handful of boats that this has happened to “gosh they all had blue antifoul!” Isn’t going to tell us much. Maybe the najad owners’ association could hold a rally in a coruna to test the theory?

cherod

Visit site
There was a TV programme a year or two ago about an American scientist who discovered how important apex predators are to maintain biodiversity. Sadly, I have forgotten his name. He studied rock pools after he removed, I think, the crabs, and the pools became deserts with virtually a mono-species. The eventual theory became quite complicated but the conclusion appears to be applicable to all systems.
Dont mean you have to like them !!

cherod

Visit site
There was a study / experiment in a large private estate / park in india a few years back where the owner removed all the tigers , all the other bread of animals flourished ?