Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

Wansworth

Visit site
Molested seriously this is pathetic, some orcas come near a boat they jump onto the vhf and cry for help, they turn their engine of as the orcas swim past with no incident, the word molested is outrageous language and really to be using it in this case is rather child like for grown ups
Well I used molested as you seemed to get all of a tiss if attack was used so molested sort of covers the orcas not actually doing mush in the way of rudder eating,capitchy?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Molested seriously this is pathetic, some orcas come near a boat they jump onto the vhf and cry for help, they turn their engine of as the orcas swim past with no incident, the word molested is outrageous language and really to be using it in this case is rather child like for grown ups
'Killer whales attacked my yacht for 45 minutes' getting a bit more serious now with a good pic for doubting thomas! Interesting, the one with the white marking at the back and side of its dorsal fin seems to have been seen in a few of the vids kicking around!

Zagato

Visit site
'Killer whales attacked my yacht for 45 minutes' getting a bit more serious now with a good pic for doubting thomas! Interesting, the one with the white marking at the back and side of its dorsal fin seems to have been seen in a few of the vids kicking around!

Perhaps they are playing/attacking it as they do with seals or wales, similar to cats playing/attacking mice and lions playing/attacking springbok. Interesting footage of Orcas attacking a blue wale on you tube... they are all showing who is boss to themselves possibly and to their pod members perhaps. Humans are not the only creature to destroy other creatures seemingly pointlessly. A boat maybe just another target to play with or worse! What do you think?

GHA

Visit site
Just spoke to a boat who had a couple of Orcas breaching right next to it a night or 2 ago inside the Faro fish farm (between the farm & land, not in it) so seems they've not all gone north for the winter. No rudder nibbling but still sounded scary on a black night.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Just spoke to a boat who had a couple of Orcas breaching right next to it a night or 2 ago inside the Faro fish farm (between the farm & land, not in it) so seems they've not all gone north for the winter. No rudder nibbling but still sounded scary on a black night.
woo!

Achosenman

Visit site
Kevin from How to Sail Oceans talks to one of the skippers that was "attacked" off Spain.

It puts a very different perspective to the episodes.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Kevin from How to Sail Oceans talks to one of the skippers that was "attacked" off Spain.

So it seems that boats are following the orcas , and not stopping or leaving their wheels
As resistance as you hold the wheel and the orca hitting it creates a force that breaks the rudder.
Good to see an honest opinion from some one there and not the usual hysterical brittish sailors
Stop the boat the orcas do not want to play, let's stop this word of attack it does no one any favours and only gets publicity to those who are seeking it
If you are concerned do not sail in that part of the coast.
If there were a pride of lions setting up camp in a Savannah in reach of a road , you suddenly have a choice, that potentially puts you at risk , your choice not the orcas

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
So it seems that boats are following the orcas , and not stopping or leaving their wheels
As resistance as you hold the wheel and the orca hitting it creates a force that breaks the rudder.
Good to see an honest opinion from some one there and not the usual hysterical brittish sailors
Stop the boat the orcas do not want to play, let's stop this word of attack it does no one any favours and only gets publicity to those who are seeking it
If you are concerned do not sail in that part of the coast.
If there were a pride of lions setting up camp in a Savannah in reach of a road , you suddenly have a choice, that potentially puts you at risk , your choice not the orcas
Because the lions may "attack" you!

Rappey

Visit site
I wonder if the orcas have a favorite type of rudder to target?
Spade, skeg, transom or keel hung?
Can they tell if a boat is steel and therefore not a great idea to have a bite ?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I nearly and this is nearly , lost a rib at such hilarity of my post responses.
Ah well of to watch Mr Attenburgh , I strongly recommend it , it might teach some about biodiversity and how we are destroying it

Seven Spades

Visit site

I think I woudl try this but I don't think it is 100% reliable because one of the first boats to be attacked deployed exactly this and the skipper reported that they had a sustained attack on the keel for over an hour whilst they were dead inthe water.