Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

Wansworth

Visit site
On the Galician news Spanish yachtsman says his boat was “attacked over a period of fifteen minutes,had to be rescued and towed in,yacht ashore showed damaged rudder and underbody scoured

FlyingGoose

Visit site
It really would be helpful for pictures so I can see the damage and Mark's left , has anyone found pictures of the damaged boats
I do not dismiss their accounts I am interested in the damage and Mark's left , which can help in solving what is going on . Which is highly unusual in such a concentrated area

FlyingGoose

Visit site
In Vigo there is a marine biology Centre I expect they will be having a look at the yacht hauled out in Coruna,they are interested in all things connected to the sea and fish.......and mammals
Yes they will be very interested, to say that I am surprised in a world of social media and this story in newspapers, we have not seen any pictures , videos of these encounters , damage caused , apart from 1 . We can get videos of people getting shot , hurricanes, charging elephants etc.
Again not interpreting these encounters as not serious. Just interested looking at the damage, to perhaps see a pattern forming.
Knowledge shared is one way for an explanation

Wansworth

Visit site
It was on the news here in Galicia the details of the encounter and pictures of the yacht on the slipway and an interview with the skipper in this case Spanish.Galicia is nothing without its history with the sea and the fishing industry has played and plays an important part of its economy and Present day a ctivity.Anything that affects the fishing especially coastal is of great interest to scientists and the coastal population.Its a small community and more a kin to the fringes ofthe UK and French Brittany

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Seems like some of my thoughts are not stupid after all, strange that from some one who studied these animals and coming up with the same theories .
For anyone interested n the science

Alfredo López, a long time researcher of the area and a biologist from the nonprofit organization, the Marine Biological Association, notes that while strange, this behavior should not be alarming,

Lopez states these encounters could be two singular orcas going through a learning and experimentation phase or it could be that fishnets might have taken the life of an orca calf. There is not enough evidence to confirm either of these possibilities yet.
At any rate, experts exclaim that people need not be afraid as orcas do not just "jump on the deck to attack people" out of the blue.

Orcas Attacking Ships in Spain Leave Scientists Baffled

The CEMMA cetacean research center, an NGO in Galicia dedicated to the research and protection of sea mammals and turtles, has reminded boaters that it is illegal for them to interact with the orcas,
Why Are Orcas Ramming Boats in Spain?

"These are very strange events," Ezequiel Andréu Cazalla, a cetacean researcher, told The Guardian. "But I don't think they're attacks.

"They're very intelligent. They know people are out there: I've seen them look at boats hauling fish. I think they know that humans are somehow related to the scarcity of food," Ken Balcomb from the Center for Whale Research was quoted as telling The Atlantic in 2018,

It's a myth that wild orcas never attack humans, but when it comes to incidents where actual contact was made, just two such events exist on record. What's more, only one of those incidents resulted in injuries: a leg wound that required multiple stitches. Compared to dangerous encounters with other top predators, that makes run-ins with orcas remarkably rare – and Rose attributes this to the monochrome leviathans' impressive brain power.
Expert opinion: Why orcas charged surfers in Norway

Tomahawk

Visit site
FWIW...
Looking at the film, it does not appear to my untrained eyes as an attack. I would describe it as learning and playing.. though one has to be careful when a very heavy animal "plays" with you in a small boat, they can do a hell of a lot of damage.

I would also comment that the background music seems intended to incite a reaction of menace rather than boisterous (but damaging) curiosity.

cherod

Visit site
FWIW...
Looking at the film, it does not appear to my untrained eyes as an attack. I would describe it as learning and playing.. though one has to be careful when a very heavy animal "plays" with you in a small boat, they can do a hell of a lot of damage.

I would also comment that the background music seems intended to incite a reaction of menace rather than boisterous (but damaging) curiosity.
Well , if this type of damage ( as yet unseen ) can be done by an animal ( orca ) whilst in “ play “ mode it us not hard to imagine the sort if damage which would be done by one which was actually “ attacking “ a sailboat , does not bear thinking about .

Beneteau381

Visit site
In truth - and you MUST admit as much after the disclosure of bite marks - your knowlege of Orca is perhaps not as all encompassing as you would have us believe.

I have been up close and somewhat aprehensive to a pod of Orca in Wellington Harbour. Fortunately they were busy feeding on Kawahai, circling around and driving them into a bunch.

IIRC there is a well documented account of a wooden yacht attacked and sunk by a single Orca in the North Pacific. The crew, a family, suffered severe hardship but survived.

IMHO your sweeping pronouncement " She did not attack you " was at the very least premature, made before you had the full facts and wearing your marine biologist's hat.

Engage brain before operating keyboard.............................................
I doubt he has a proper marine biologists hat!

Kola

Visit site
I am surprised in a world of social media and this story in newspapers, we have not seen any pictures , videos of these encounters , damage caused , apart from 1 . We can get videos of people getting shot , hurricanes, charging elephants etc.

I also find it odd there is no pictures after so many boats in such a relativity short time came into contact, Internet, Facebook, Instagram.....

RupertW

Visit site
Seems like some of my thoughts are not stupid after all, strange that from some one who studied these animals and coming up with the same theories .
For anyone interested n the science

Alfredo López, a long time researcher of the area and a biologist from the nonprofit organization, the Marine Biological Association, notes that while strange, this behavior should not be alarming,

Lopez states these encounters could be two singular orcas going through a learning and experimentation phase or it could be that fishnets might have taken the life of an orca calf. There is not enough evidence to confirm either of these possibilities yet.
At any rate, experts exclaim that people need not be afraid as orcas do not just "jump on the deck to attack people" out of the blue.

Orcas Attacking Ships in Spain Leave Scientists Baffled

The CEMMA cetacean research center, an NGO in Galicia dedicated to the research and protection of sea mammals and turtles, has reminded boaters that it is illegal for them to interact with the orcas,
Why Are Orcas Ramming Boats in Spain?

"These are very strange events," Ezequiel Andréu Cazalla, a cetacean researcher, told The Guardian. "But I don't think they're attacks.

"They're very intelligent. They know people are out there: I've seen them look at boats hauling fish. I think they know that humans are somehow related to the scarcity of food," Ken Balcomb from the Center for Whale Research was quoted as telling The Atlantic in 2018,

It's a myth that wild orcas never attack humans, but when it comes to incidents where actual contact was made, just two such events exist on record. What's more, only one of those incidents resulted in injuries: a leg wound that required multiple stitches. Compared to dangerous encounters with other top predators, that makes run-ins with orcas remarkably rare – and Rose attributes this to the monochrome leviathans' impressive brain power.
Expert opinion: Why orcas charged surfers in Norway
Yet again when you are not dismissing the reports as fake you still miss the point. It doesn’t matter what marine biologists say about them not being attacks. They are damaging and disabling boats so either we stop sailing there or we stop the orcas damaging boats. I know which I would prefer.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Yet again when you are not dismissing the reports as fake you still miss the point. It doesn’t matter what marine biologists say about them not being attacks. They are damaging and disabling boats so either we stop sailing there or we stop the orcas damaging boats. I know which I would prefer.
They are a protected species by law, it was interesting to read the spanish navies encounter and the words used , being less dramatic in their story ,
Frightening it may be for some but dangerous , no , no one has died and little damage has been caused
We are in their territory not the other way around
Also one wonders if any of these encounters were because the boat did not alter course or actually headed towards them for a good look
Not uncommon for boats to head towards pods of dolphins
It is illegal to disturb marine mammals so I guess no one would admit that they did not change course or went for a gander
Feeding orcas in a pod can be dangerous to enter their zone
Thankfully we have left the harpoon gun behind us

Tomahawk

Visit site
They are a protected species by law, it was interesting to read the spanish navies encounter and the words used , being less dramatic in their story ,
Not uncommon for boats to head towards pods of dolphins

My experience is the other way round... A pod of dolphins seek out a boat and play with it..
The most inspiring sight I ever saw was in the middle of the Bay of Biscay ... four dolphins leaping clean out the water line abreast on the port quarter as the came to have a look at us. They spent a good half an hour buzzing the bow waves and simply playing with us.

If a pod of orca did the same, I would be
A very scared in case they accidently nudged us and did a lot of damage.
B incradibly excited at the sight...

FlyingGoose

Visit site
My experience is the other way round... A pod of dolphins seek out a boat and play with it..
The most inspiring sight I ever saw was in the middle of the Bay of Biscay ... four dolphins leaping clean out the water line abreast on the port quarter as the came to have a look at us. They spent a good half an hour buzzing the bow waves and simply playing with us.

If a pod of orca did the same, I would be
A very scared in case they accidently nudged us and did a lot of damage.
B incradibly excited at the sight...
Dolphins in which orcas are part of this group are very inquisitive, and in most occasions come to the boat , but I have seen boats aiming for pods and have other reports of sailors seeing the same thing.
Humans are not all perfect there are I'm afraid those that have no care for the wildlife of the sea .
Scotland has laws on marine mammal encounters, which should be heeded ,
Like most other EU countries.
We had a pod of bottle nose follow us around 15 jumping beside the boat and doing acrobatics, we immediately slowed down keeping our course , .
Several motorboats on seeing this decided to race over .