AT update - from the Hub

MikeBz

Visit site
Lost as in he has retracted it as far as possible. The foil is still there but there are worrying cracks in the shaft. It's the port hand side so a bit less important than the starboard one until he's on his way back up the Atlantic, unlike HB who lost (as in snapped off) the starboard one last time.

MikeBz

Visit site
... and (at the risk of going off topic) the added spice of Gitana and Sodebo setting off on their Jules Verne attempts yesterday.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...His run round the Southern Ocean will be interesting.

Recalling how I felt during the 700M offshore passage that I was once obliged to undertake in a yacht that was rather less than perfect, I think it must take serious courage to head on into the Southern Ocean on a patched-up Hugo Boss.

Sandy

Visit site
Recalling how I felt during the 700M offshore passage that I was once obliged to undertake in a yacht that was rather less than perfect, I think it must take serious courage to head on into the Southern Ocean on a patched-up Hugo Boss.
I'm with you, I'd be looking to retire gracefully in South Africa. If those bulkheads "go" at 20 knots in a 10 meter sea you won't have much time to get in the liferaft. No matter how many waterproof bulkheads you have a catastrophic failure will peel the hull open.

cherod

Visit site
I'm with you, I'd be looking to retire gracefully in South Africa. If those bulkheads "go" at 20 knots in a 10 meter sea you won't have much time to get in the liferaft. No matter how many waterproof bulkheads you have a catastrophic failure will peel the hull open.
a bit late for that ,, more like retiring in ignominous defeat , would be a pretty poor show after all the hype and expense ,, i hope it does not come to that .

Sandy

Visit site
a bit late for that ,, more like retiring in ignominous defeat , would be a pretty poor show after all the hype and expense ,, i hope it does not come to that .
It's a high risk sport. AT will be well aware of the challenges of the Southern Ocean and now with rudder issues it looks like he is heading for South Africa. If that is the decision, and we will find out more in the next 48 hours, then it is the right call.

I've mentioned Pete Goss in other posts, his decision to turn round and rescue of Raphael Dinelli, was truly heroic.

cherod

Visit site
It's a high risk sport. AT will be well aware of the challenges of the Southern Ocean and now with rudder issues it looks like he is heading for South Africa. If that is the decision, and we will find out more in the next 48 hours, then it is the right call.

I've mentioned Pete Goss in other posts, his decision to turn round and rescue of Raphael Dinelli, was truly heroic.
yes ,, but still a bit embarasing

Sandy

Visit site
yes ,, but still a bit embarasing
Goodness why? A full blown rescue is far more embarrassing. Just think of the MIAB report's conclusion, "Having the knowledge of several VG events the skipper and support team knowing ventured into the Southern Ocean in a racing vessel they knew had been damaged."

cherod

Visit site
Goodness why? A full blown rescue is far more embarrassing. Just think of the MIAB report's conclusion, "Having the knowledge of several VG events the skipper and support team knowing ventured into the Southern Ocean in a racing vessel they knew had been damaged."
you are away there on a tangent !! really ?? did anyone suggest that he venture into the southern ocean in a damage condition ,, really ? who / where / when ??

Sandy

Visit site
you are away there on a tangent !! really ?? did anyone suggest that he venture into the southern ocean in a damage condition ,, really ? who / where / when ??
I see HB and AT have decided to head for Cape Town.

Alex Thomson ceases racing in the Vendée Globe - The Hub

The right call. I am sure everybody in the team is gutted, but have clearly made the right decision

Cherod, if AT had continue to race where else would he have gone?