AT update - from the Hub

geem

Visit site
Typed too slow... considerable engineering although hopefully enough materials on board to resolve...

Reminds me... Perhaps some extra repair stuff should be added to our on board spares...
Haha, yes. We always carry plenty of epoxy and glass. You never know when you might need it. We spent Christmas day in 2019 fixing damage inflicted by a 105ft motor yacht that dragged in to our bow in the middle of the night! Without glass and epoxy we would have had a problem. Not many shops open on Christmas day?

Sandy

Visit site
i think it would be hard ( ne impossible ) to wave test that sort of thing,, surely that is for the " experts " and computers , which have obv not done well ,,, it looks like the longitudinal bulkhead / stiffener has let go at its weakest points , some poor modeling going on there , there should have been a smaller aperture . anyone notice the rod / tube wedged in on the other side of the longitudinal , looks like it is holding the deck up , or the bottom down !!
Having spent my latter career in Safety Engineering testing for that would have been really easy. Find a storm and go sailing as if you were racing. Would be interesting what conditions they had HB out in prior to the race.

cherod

Visit site
Looking at the tracker, HB is doing 7.8 knots SE and according to the HUB the max boatspeed has been 11.7 knots in the last hour. Perhaps the glue has set now?

All the best to Team HB:)
yes saw that a couple of hours ago ,, although the leaders are doing 18 / 19 AT is in a different wind stream and is doing the same as everyone around him ,, so maybe all good (y)

Bobc

Visit site
I'm guessing he'll use a glue like Plexus to glue the C panels on. That stuff will set in about 15 minutes in that heat.

Once he gets those bits on and the structure is stable, he should be able to start sailing again whilst he's laminating around the seams and beam tops.

flaming

Visit site
Having spent my latter career in Safety Engineering testing for that would have been really easy. Find a storm and go sailing as if you were racing. Would be interesting what conditions they had HB out in prior to the race.
They did exactly this. Alex went out into the Atlantic alone storm chasing for about 2 weeks.

Bobc

Visit site
You will all be pleased to hear that he has the plates glued on which has stopped everything moving, and got a sail up yesterday afternoon and was racing in the right direction again.

He stopped again last night to get the laminating done, and should be racing again today.

I believe his plan is to work on laminating during the nights as it's a bit cooler, and he has 3 or 4 days of light stuff to get it all finished, so hopefully he'll be able to stick with the main group and not fall back any further.

cherod

Visit site
You will all be pleased to hear that he has the plates glued on which has stopped everything moving, and got a sail up yesterday afternoon and was racing in the right direction again.

He stopped again last night to get the laminating done, and should be racing again today.

I believe his plan is to work on laminating during the nights as it's a bit cooler, and he has 3 or 4 days of light stuff to get it all finished, so hopefully he'll be able to stick with the main group and not fall back any further.
essentially that was what he said in his vid yesterday . looks like he has already slowed again,

Bobc

Visit site
Don't forget that they're about 4 hours behind us. It only got light a few hours ago.

Sandy

Visit site
They did exactly this. Alex went out into the Atlantic alone storm chasing for about 2 weeks.
Good to hear the team spent time doing this. They will have a significant amount of data regarding wind speed and direction, wave height and frequency to compare with the recent storm.

His run round the Southern Ocean will be interesting.

MikeBz

Visit site
I doubt it happened as long ago as Theta (although I guess some invisible damage could have started), I'm sure they all do end-to-end checks of the boat much more often than that. Note that Corum had the bow strengthened prior to the race, word is that the way the foilers slam into the waves puts a lot more stress on the bow area. It's quite possible they would have found this problem if they hadn't lost 3 months with the keel issue.

@Bobc if you turn on the 'day/night' limit on the tracker you can see that they have dawn some time before us, due to it being winter time here and summer time where they are (I don't think their time difference is 4 hours on us the moment anyway?).

Bobc

Visit site
i would fully expect that he has lights for inside so makes no difference for the laminating if it is light or dark
Working on the damage at night (when it's cooler), and sailing during the day. Is that so hard to understand?

TLouth7

Visit site
i would fully expect that he has lights for inside so makes no difference for the laminating if it is light or dark
He has been wearing a headtorch in all the videos, and the shots themselves appear to be only lit by a torch/the camera so I would say that he doesn't have fixed lights in the bow. Don't forget that running cables through watertight bulkheads is a pain.

I'm amazed that he has some very conventional tools. No effort to lightweight the handles on his scissors or paint/resin roller!

I wonder if the lack of personal data feed is because he doesn't want to risk the armband thing while he crawls around in the bow.

cherod

Visit site
He has been wearing a headtorch in all the videos, and the shots themselves appear to be only lit by a torch/the camera so I would say that he doesn't have fixed lights in the bow. Don't forget that running cables through watertight bulkheads is a pain.

I'm amazed that he has some very conventional tools. No effort to lightweight the handles on his scissors or paint/resin roller!

I wonder if the lack of personal data feed is because he doesn't want to risk the armband thing while he crawls around in the bow.
(y) , but would expect that he has some battery op portable LED work lights , ,, ha ha. i dont think i would be taking his fancy wrist band thingy down there or anywhere near any grinding / epoxy work either .