At the Bottom of the Deben for 2 years

Bigplumbs

Visit site
This little Mariner 2 stroke outboard was found at the bottom of the River Deben (salt water) in the mud and it is thought it had been there for over 2 years. After a big strip down and some time spent it is now running again. Quite incredible I think

Attachments

• in the mud.jpg
    in the mud.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 272
  • oh dear.jpg
    oh dear.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 272

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Here is the finished article..... Not pretty but ok

Attachments

• motor revived.jpg
    motor revived.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Nice.jpg
    Nice.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 133

jaydee1976

Visit site
if u want more then by my boat is a 14/15mm ring spanner I dropped last week.. A few abandonded dinghys sunk by the causeway as well but think they are beyond repair

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Is this like triggers broom? Kept the sticker but everything else is new ?

It actually has very few replacement parts. The petrol in the tank was even still quite good. Not that it was used.

The main new parts were a Chinese copy Carb, a bearing, Spark plug and some other small bits almost all the rest was reused. The cardboard box full of parts in the pics were all the original parts that were cleaned up and reused

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That’s amazing. How did you find it?

It was leaning up against a wall in the boatyard and we think someone hauled it up with an anchor. The boatyard was going to chuck it but it looked like a good challenge.

To be clear it was not me that rebuilt this it was a friend of mine who discussed it with me throughout the process. He does not do forums and social media but I felt it was worth posting as it is a real testiment to Mariner and indeed my friends work. He now says he wants another project as he enjoyed it so much. A lot of the work was done in lockdown. He said it took about 50 plus hours

Oldgeezer

Visit site
Well I'll go the foot of my stairs!
I lost my Mariner 2 stroke overboard between Eversons and Loders cut three years ago. No 3 son did not tighten the transom screws and when we turned to starboard it went to port - and to Davy jones locker.
Hope it serves you well - the bearings were a bit knackered making it rattle and you could hear it clattering up the river!
Notice you mention new bearings!
Excellent job - it was very reliable.

Now got a 4 stroke Honda. {not as reliable!!!)

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Well I'll go the foot of my stairs!
I lost my Mariner 2 stroke overboard between Eversons and Loders cut three years ago. No 3 son did not tighten the transom screws and when we turned to starboard it went to port - and to Davy jones locker.
Hope it serves you well - the bearings were a bit knackered making it rattle and you could hear it clattering up the river!
Notice you mention new bearings!
Excellent job - it was very reliable.

Now got a 4 stroke Honda. {not as reliable!!!)

Now that is interesting. My friend who was the one who acquired the engine and did the work said he thought the bearings looked poor so obviously replaced them. Apart from those and the carb which he replaced with a chinese copy most everything else if working again. A very interesting story and to have your bit of history associated with it is also interesting.

WoodyP

Visit site
Now that is interesting. My friend who was the one who acquired the engine and did the work said he thought the bearings looked poor so obviously replaced them. Apart from those and the carb which he replaced with a chinese copy most everything else if working again. A very interesting story and to have your bit of history associated with it is also interesting.
Your friend may be interested in the Buffalo tank recovered from Crowland. They lost that in 1947 floods.

DrSpock

Visit site
I get that it was a project and maybe for a challenge but 50 hours work + parts makes it a pretty expensive outboard!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I get that it was a project and maybe for a challenge but 50 hours work + parts makes it a pretty expensive outboard!

He did the work himself and the parts were very cheap...... Also not everything is about money...... It is very easy to know the cost of many things but the value of nothing