Pure Seal (AAAAAAARRRRGH!)

• Pure Seal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miami Boat Co Pure Seal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CPD

Visit site
Patric's last post has makes me wonder how we will all be finding our way to the Azores. I am hoping to do an astro course at evening class starting September and hope t pick up sufficient knowledge to be able to use it as a back up next June. I remember meeting Bill Churchouse at the Boat Show do and being really impressed by his minimalist approach. So, how will we be doing it ? (Option 5 clickers are invited to explain further ....)

CPD

Visit site
I love it, just be sure it ain't mine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I have been lucky enough to do a fair bit of long distance sailing. Mostly, unless Neptune is trying to be a bit ingenious, it's groundhog day, every day! Since I discovered astro, however, my days are filled with great satisfaction and a sense of awe. Like GPS, love me sextant.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
When I originally went off shore I used Astro - had a quality sextant and found pride and pleasure in making a good fix... Used it with DR and a hand held radio beacon reader for the final approaches.

then came GPS at prices we can all afford.

I now cruise with two fixed GPS in case one goes down and a handheld a sail makers gave me with an order.. I leave the sextant and books on the shelf at home.

steviewhitts

Visit site
I learnt astro-nav when in the merchant navy and had to use it for star sights morning and evening, mid-morning position line run-up to noon and occasionally at other times. In the south pacific in the eighties when we got a transit sat nav fix every 12 hours if we were lucky you relied on astro.

It nevers ceases to amaze me that you can find your way round with a decent timepiece and a sextant...... and its a very satisfying way of doing things. If I ever manage to go long-distance sailing again it will be astro first with GPS back-up.

Steve

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I use GPS only but with "sufficient" redundancy.
I normally have two GPS linked to the boat battery supply plus two independant one's (hand held with batteries).
I would hate to be dependant on the only last working GPS!
I think that must be sufficient but I haven't made any "safety" analysis computation! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I learnt astro in the RN and even when practicing regularly it took time and effort to get the desired accuracy so with the relaibility of GPS I think that would be my first choice and keep the sextant just in case!

Trying to get the sun to kiss the horizon was hard enough mid atlantic on a frigate's deck - can't imagine what it would be like in the cockpit of my 27' sloop!