• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Astro, GPS, or both

Pure Seal (AAAAAAARRRRGH!)

• Pure Seal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miami Boat Co Pure Seal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CPD

Patric's last post has makes me wonder how we will all be finding our way to the Azores. I am hoping to do an astro course at evening class starting September and hope t pick up sufficient knowledge to be able to use it as a back up next June. I remember meeting Bill Churchouse at the Boat Show do and being really impressed by his minimalist approach. So, how will we be doing it ? (Option 5 clickers are invited to explain further ....)

CPD

I love it, just be sure it ain't mine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

capnsensible

I have been lucky enough to do a fair bit of long distance sailing. Mostly, unless Neptune is trying to be a bit ingenious, it's groundhog day, every day! Since I discovered astro, however, my days are filled with great satisfaction and a sense of awe. Like GPS, love me sextant.

Sea Devil

When I originally went off shore I used Astro - had a quality sextant and found pride and pleasure in making a good fix... Used it with DR and a hand held radio beacon reader for the final approaches.

then came GPS at prices we can all afford.

I now cruise with two fixed GPS in case one goes down and a handheld a sail makers gave me with an order.. I leave the sextant and books on the shelf at home.

steviewhitts

I learnt astro-nav when in the merchant navy and had to use it for star sights morning and evening, mid-morning position line run-up to noon and occasionally at other times. In the south pacific in the eighties when we got a transit sat nav fix every 12 hours if we were lucky you relied on astro.

It nevers ceases to amaze me that you can find your way round with a decent timepiece and a sextant...... and its a very satisfying way of doing things. If I ever manage to go long-distance sailing again it will be astro first with GPS back-up.

Steve

andlauer

Bonjour
I use GPS only but with "sufficient" redundancy.
I normally have two GPS linked to the boat battery supply plus two independant one's (hand held with batteries).
I would hate to be dependant on the only last working GPS!
I think that must be sufficient but I haven't made any "safety" analysis computation! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eric

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
I learnt astro in the RN and even when practicing regularly it took time and effort to get the desired accuracy so with the relaibility of GPS I think that would be my first choice and keep the sextant just in case!

Trying to get the sun to kiss the horizon was hard enough mid atlantic on a frigate's deck - can't imagine what it would be like in the cockpit of my 27' sloop!