Asprakis Boatyard,Nisos Aigina

Moody Hobo

Visit site
We have just arranged to have our Moody 425 lifted out and stored for next winter at asprakis yard.
Does anyone have experience of this yard?any tips on nearby inexpensive accommodation?Or any other inside knowledge?

Thanks in anticipation

Ken_Irby

N/A
Visit site
I couldn't remember which was the bad one on aigina bob

but i know that friends of ours swear by the one opposite poros. john & sarah have wintered their boat there for several years.
Chas on Kentrina's login

billskip

Visit site
Agree with 1bobt (got a feeling I know him) he got done at that yard I was there with him If he's same guy.

think he must be cos he ask about John & Sarah and I just posted a thread asking their whereabouts.

Last I heard they where in Nidri anybody know?

1bobt

N/A
Visit site
Hi BIll
Yes same one, I am still in the Poros area although went down through the Cyclades,last month and had a very big incident!!!!! Yacht now in Olyimpic marine wating extensive repairs ,all on board safe. I spoke two Manos from Kathestos yesterday to tell him, as he still looks after the boat on the mooring he is a very helpful guy.
Cheers bobt

Last edited:

Ken_Irby

N/A
Visit site
Saw John In Ag. Ef last year

Sarah in london. last saw their boat in oct. it was w/o steering off n of ithaka in hands of a couple who had borrowed it for their honeymoon! we stood by them until a much larger yacht took them in tow to fiskardo. we had to hoof it up to corfu to catch a plane.
Chas on Kentrina's login

Moody Hobo

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen-not quite what I'd hoped!Was the extra charge by any chance described as 'vat'? but not quite? If so I hope we have this covered,or at least,out in the open.

And if nothing else my enquiry seems to have done a 'friends reunited'.Now,if only I'd thought of that first.................

syrbe

Visit site
Asprakis boatyard

We wintered in Asprakis boatyard last winter and they were all unfailingly helpful and friendly. The facilities are basic, but the yard is priced accordingly, and there is an excellent chandler in Aegina town. They have excellent engineers on call and the work they were doing on other boats looked careful and of high quality. Most people in the yard were regulars who were very happy there. The only problem is that access is tricky with strong north winds, especially if you have a deep draft. Gregory is not very good at arithmetic so check the calculation of his bill.

grumpygit

Visit site
We wintered in Asprakis boatyard last winter and they were all unfailingly helpful and friendly. The facilities are basic, but the yard is priced accordingly, and there is an excellent chandler in Aegina town. They have excellent engineers on call and the work they were doing on other boats looked careful and of high quality. Most people in the yard were regulars who were very happy there. The only problem is that access is tricky with strong north winds, especially if you have a deep draft. Gregory is not very good at arithmetic so check the calculation of his bill.

Gregory's arithmetic is very good, too good in fact! It's his memory that that makes it expensive.......
Get a writen quote for anything he gives you a price for, or he'll nip you.

John_Parkes

Visit site
Asprakis

We chose Asprakis on the recommendation of someone who had stayed there years before. It is 20 minute bike ride, mainly along the coast, to town. The yard was full this year. We found Dimitris Panopoulos to be extremely helpful in getting a new shaft made for us. He is not associated with the yard but does some work there from time to time.

Last edited:

Richard10002

Visit site
We have just arranged to have our Moody 425 lifted out and stored for next winter at asprakis yard.
Does anyone have experience of this yard?any tips on nearby inexpensive accommodation?Or any other inside knowledge?

Thanks in anticipation

Sounds to me like you need to make alternative arrangements. Plenty of time, so why stick with a place which you may live to regret.

I had similar warnings about the people at Portomaso Marina in Malta, so dropped them and got my work done by someone else. Was glad I did, having seen some of their work in the yard.

Tomas

Visit site
Be very carefull with this yard very poor rep will charge a lot more before you launch
cheers bobt

Exactly, they charged me 800!!! euros extra for launching, claiming that they have to move other boats to do that.
Also if I wasn't there when they moved my boat around (after they lifted her out of the water) they would crack it in half as they decided that the easiest way to move catamaran around is to lift it by the floor of the saloon!!! If I didn't shout loud enough there would be a big hole in the floor.

hauled out there last summer - and had work done

We hauled out at Asprakis. The haul-out fee was very cheap, and Gregory didn't attempt to forget, or change it when we came to pay. We also had Dimitri do some work for us, some was excellent - repairing the boom vang and the morse control. Some was poor - servicing the windlass. We were out of the country ( back in UK at the time) I would suggest keeping an eye on work done. The anti-fouling carried out by Gregory was well done.

The entrance to the slip is downright dodgy with a N wind - which is the prevailing, so be careful. Still, the price of a haul-out was 75% less than one in Turkey.