ASAP Supplies website

Tomahawk

Visit site
Does anyone know how to avoid the targetting cookies ?
I need a Perko latch and ASAP are the UK agents. But I do not want to be pestered by stupid adverts trying to get me to buy stuff I don’t want or need because I have searched on the ASAP site.

Rappey

Visit site
I searched for gebo portlights. It was 3.5k trade for what I wanted.
The next day I got some google ads appearing with a crazy cheap usa price.
I followed the ads and ended up buying what I needed from a usa chandlery.
The total was £1350 including shipping and duty!
Got to love the eu markup.

Visit site
I've bought numerous parts from US and it's invariably good quality and cheaper than here even with US postage, UK VAT and ParcelForce's fee.

kmatt

Visit site
Does anyone know how to avoid the targetting cookies ?
I need a Perko latch and ASAP are the UK agents. But I do not want to be pestered by stupid adverts trying to get me to buy stuff I don’t want or need because I have searched on the ASAP site.

Run your browser in Incognito/Private Browsing mode when you access the site, and accept all of the cookies. When you close the Browser it will forget the Cookies. Also useful for sites where you can only see a certain number of pages each month.

Zing

Visit site
With Firefox set up correctly it will delete all cookies except passwords after you shut it down. I also use Adblock, Ghostery and Duck Duck search.

jbweston

Visit site
With Firefox set up correctly it will delete all cookies except passwords after you shut it down. I also use Adblock, Ghostery and Duck Duck search.
In addition to AdBlock Plus, Privacy Badger and Ghostery, I've recently started to use Cookie AutoDelete too. That can be set to delete cookies as you leave one website for another during the same browsing session, or to delete all cookies after a fixed time.

That combination is just one more way to make tracking harder. I'm sure it won't defeat GCHQ or the FBI, but it deals with most commercial organizations a treat.

guardian

Visit site
Yep, i don't buy much from the UK anymore for either my Van or Boat projects, way cheaper elsewhere even with duty and taxes.

jbweston

Visit site
Sometimes pop up adds are good and give a choice.
Ads nearly always give a choice. Just like unsolicited salesmen ringing my doorbell then putting their foot in my door nearly always give a choice. It's just a choice I don't want.

I'd never buy from a door-to-door salesman and I'm never going to buy from a popup ad. I just kill them before they hijack my screen.

I appreciate that in theory there may be some people who like popups. But I think you're the first one I've come across in practice. :)

38mess

Visit site
Ads nearly always give a choice. Just like unsolicited salesmen ringing my doorbell then putting their foot in my door nearly always give a choice. It's just a choice I don't want.

I'd never buy from a door-to-door salesman and I'm never going to buy from a popup ad. I just kill them before they hijack my screen.

I appreciate that in theory there may be some people who like popups. But I think you're the first one I've come across in practice. :)
Good for you ?

Yngmar

Visit site
I'm using Cookie AutoDelete, along with uBlock of course to keep the spam at bay. Cookie AutoDelete removes every cookie from a site after the last tab on that site is closed, unless the site is added to a whitelist by the user (which you do only for sites where you actually want to login to). Works better than rejecting the Cookies, which breaks many crappy websites.

Rafiki

Visit site
I too have been looking for Gebo Portlights - can you let me know who you bought them from in the US.

jbweston

Visit site
I'm using Cookie AutoDelete, along with uBlock of course to keep the spam at bay. Cookie AutoDelete removes every cookie from a site after the last tab on that site is closed, unless the site is added to a whitelist by the user (which you do only for sites where you actually want to login to). Works better than rejecting the Cookies, which breaks many crappy websites.
Yes, I've found that works well. I'm not sure we can ever get ahead of those that want to harvest our browsing histories and ply us with time-wasting adverts as there's so much money in it for them, but at least we can try to keep up with them.

Rappey

Visit site
- can you let me know who you bought them from in the US.
That was a task and a half as it was 8 years ago and had to use google maps to try each lake michigan chandler, but I found it !
Euro rip off mark up price fixing for a 12x6" opening portlight £360. Mosquito screen £53.99
Usa price $119.95 mosquito screen - they threw them all in for free !
Huge price difference for a eu made product ?
www.greatlakesskipper.com
If you can't find what you want email them with your requirements.
I thought they provided a brilliant service.
Add roughly 25% to the total bill for dutys .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-11-17-37-51.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-11-17-37-51.png
    454.8 KB · Views: 10