As an Instructor and a generally nosy person who spelling is crap.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I'm assuming he means he did the Yachtmaster theory course, not the practical assessment.

I think it's reasonable that this doesn't automatically translate into an ICC, because someone who merely had an interest in navigation could decide to do all the theory courses for their own sake without ever setting foot in a boat, and the ICC is primarily meant to ensure you can manoeuvre without crashing into things or otherwise being a nuisance.

Of course, Richard himself is obviously more than sufficiently competent for an ICC, and maybe there's an argument that the RYA should allow it to be issued on the basis of experience, but that's completely separate from the question about Yachtmaster theory. Personally I don't think it's so unreasonable that the RYA's policy is "if you're so experienced, you'll have no difficulty demonstrating it in a couple of hours with an assessor". Indeed, as a document with international legal significance, they may very well not be allowed to issue it without either an equivalent qualification or an in-person assessment.

Pete
Indeed. I filled in and submitted the form linked to by Capnsensible and provided a written summary of my experience (dinghies since 1977, larger yachts since 1992) including offshore passage-making etc but it's not sufficient for an ICC.

I keep meaning to take one in Croatia but I have never got around to booking it as we just want to get off to the islands etc in the time we have.

Richard

Elessar

Visit site
if not allowed please delete
I was wondering what training have you all had if any?
Most do ICC or day skipper
and VHF.
Just wondering I did Dayskipper theory and YM theory , Dayskipper practical and VHF, it was not until I wanted to teach it that I went any further with course and exams etc.
First ticket I did after VHF was YM practical.
Then YM theory, theory instructor, then practical instructor (motor) All in short order when I had time off work.
Finally YM ocean.
This is not a conventional way/order of doing courses! Particularly doing the practical before the theory.

prv

Visit site
I do wonder if the week long practical is past it's sell by date as like most other activities, needs to be more modular and shorter weekend style.

Two friends of mine, who did a bit of reservoir dinghy sailing previously but have been learning yacht sailing with me, recently did their Day Skippers to fill in the gaps and boost confidence. They did it across two weekends, which they preferred because as well as fitting in with work they got a wider variety of weather conditions and experienced two different boats. On the other hand, the fact that the school mostly ran it as day-sailing out of Portsmouth Harbour seemed a bit of a cop-out to me, though I'm not sure how much that was normal and how much was covid precautions to allow the instructor to sleep on his own boat and the third student to be in a B&B on shore. But in any case, it seems that weekend courses are an option nowadays.

Pete

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Started with a Comp Crew course as a taster to see if I liked sailing, then bought first boat. Over the years have done DS theory, DS practical, CS/YM theory, CS practical week followed by YM Offshore exam. VHF, First Aid and Sea Survival courses. Wife (crew) has done CS theory and DS practical, VHF and First Aid courses.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hey, I've got that too, in the natty orange booklet. :)

I went through the dinghy and powerboat schemes to teach at a Scout centre on a voluntary basis.

I did mine at Lochgoilhead. And a good thing too, because I did it the summer before the Scouts changed their rules to say that every Scout sailing boat had to have someone at that level in it. My Sea Scout troop was a bit disorganised, and when the new rule came in only I and one leader had the certificate. For five boats. It was very easy for me to get a coveted place on Tuesday evening sailing at Castle Semple that year ...

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I started sailing in my late 30s / early 40s so needed a good deal of help from the RYA Cruising Scheme. I’ve always admired the skills of those born with a tiller in their hands?

I now have YM Ocean, commercially endorsed, I’m a Shorebased and also Cruising Instructor.
I went through the RYA scheme in my early 30's with the intention of going career sailing after leaving the RN and it worked a treat!

But I do have an out of date qualification as Ship Control Officer Of The Watch Swiftsure Class Submarines!

I let my Motor Cruising Instructor endorsement lapse a few years ago but keep my Sail Instructor up to date. And Ocean is for life. ?

Skylark

Visit site
Two friends of mine, who did a bit of reservoir dinghy sailing previously but have been learning yacht sailing with me, recently did their Day Skippers to fill in the gaps and boost confidence. They did it across two weekends, which they preferred because as well as fitting in with work they got a wider variety of weather conditions and experienced two different boats. On the other hand, the fact that the school mostly ran it as day-sailing out of Portsmouth Harbour seemed a bit of a cop-out to me, though I'm not sure how much that was normal and how much was covid precautions to allow the instructor to sleep on his own boat and the third student to be in a B&B on shore. But in any case, it seems that weekend courses are an option nowadays.

Pete

An interesting post, Pete.

Running DS Practical as a 2+3 day course is fairly common. There are pros and cons versus 5 straight days. It’s good in that 2 sessions gives experience of 2 instructors, 2 boats and 2 different sets of conditions. Some others prefer the continuity of 5 days. Breaking it into 2 can be more challenging in meeting the course aims and objectives, there just seems more time available in 5 straight days. It’s then easier to plan to decent itinerary/passage to cover the skills, the mileage and the night hours.

Recent course have to be COVID secure and day sailing if the group contains more than 2 families, including the instructor, has become the norm.

It’s hard to deliver the course under restrictions but, I guess, we all have to play the cards we’re dealt. Better to be day sailing than sitting at home playing with the bloody internet ?

CLB

Visit site
DS Theory
DS Practical motor
YM Theory
PB level 2
PB level 2 instructor
YM offshore practical motor
DS Practical Sail
Dinghy sailing level 1 & 2
VHF
ICC
RYA Diesel course
AEC
CEVNI
Sea survival
First Aid
PADI open water (just for fun)

Think thats about it :D

Birdseye

Visit site
DS Theory
DS Practical motor
YM Theory
PB level 2
PB level 2 instructor
YM offshore practical motor
DS Practical Sail
Dinghy sailing level 1 & 2
VHF
ICC
RYA Diesel course
AEC
CEVNI
Sea survival
First Aid
PADI open water (just for fun)

Think thats about it :D
Are you by any chance a teacher or academic?

Daedelus

Visit site
I got YM practical when I took voluntary redundancy and the firm said they would pay for retraining in a new career. SO I said I want to deliver yachts and they paid for a YM course and the full 7 day ship captains medical first aid etc. (Startled me somewhat when they said just send us the invoices.)

Mrs D and I then happily delivered our own yacht with us on it to wherever seemed good.

Sandy

Visit site
Mine is a story of two ages:
  • As an 18 year old self
    • Day Skipper Theory
    • Day Skipper Practical
  • As much older self
    • Yachtmaster Theory
    • Day Skipper practical
    • RYA VHF
    • RYA First Aid
    • RYA Radar
    • RYA PB2
Had COVID not got in the way I was planning my RYA YM Offshore this year and Sea Survival. That will need to wait until 2021 then I have the challenge of the RYA Ocean passage to do. I might then think about instructing.

The repeat of the DS was a "check" after a long time away from sailing.