As an Instructor and a generally nosy person who spelling is crap.

powerskipper

www.facebook.com
if not allowed please delete
I was wondering what training have you all had if any?
Most do ICC or day skipper
and VHF.
Just wondering I did Dayskipper theory and YM theory , Dayskipper practical and VHF, it was not until I wanted to teach it that I went any further with course and exams etc.

prv

Visit site
I did Day Skipper practical when I was about 21, just to help convince charter companies to let their boats out with a gang of young lads (previously we'd been relying on my mate's DS, which he'd done with Cadets at 15).

I got my VHF ticket after a charter company asked about it during a handover - not to require it, just to mention that on paper that meant we couldn't use the VHF he'd just shown us except in emergency.

My parents bought me an RYA radar course for Christmas one year. I welcomed the present but then wasn't very impressed with the course.

I sent off to convert my Day Skipper into an ICC when Med charter companies started getting serious about it. Although in the event I never actually used it.

I got sent on the RYA Sea Survival per company policy when I started work at my current employer. I later also got sent on a more serious 4-day course, a requirement for spending time at sea with one of our customers, but that's not an RYA thing.

I took up the company's offer of doing PB2 and RYA First Aid - some of our guys are RYA instructors and occasionally run courses for employees during slack time, as a perk and to increase general maritime knowledge among those who come in without that background.

I realised that between the above courses, I had everything needed to commercially endorse the PB2. The head of training agreed to pay for the PPR and endorsement, so that I could legally move the company's boats short distances. There had previously been a few times where that would have been really handy, because I was on site already but instead someone with the right paperwork had to travel to do it. However, since I did that, our pattern of use has changed a bit and I've never actually used it, which is a pity.

So yeah - apart from that initial Day Skipper years ago, which mostly confirmed what I already knew, all my actual sailing knowledge comes from my parents (to begin with), other people I've sailed with, my own experience and observation, and this place.

Pete

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I've done the following with the RYA
  • Day Skipper theory
  • Day Skipper Practical - Sail
  • Yachtmaster Offshore theory
  • VHF
I've also paid for and enjoyed a few days of 'own boat' tuition on both my recent boat purchases.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I signed up to do Day Skipper theory simply because I need a qualification to be able to skipper the boat we bought in Croatia.

When the college/RYA saw that I had been sailing my own dinghy and bareboat chartering for 20 years, they contacted me and suggested that I forget Day Skipper and go straight to Yacht Master, so I accepted their suggestion.

I did VHF/DSC at a different college the same year.

I've tried to obtain an ICC on the basis of my YM + 30 years experience but the RYA won't do it. :(

Richard

halcyon

Visit site
and VHF.
Just wondering I did Dayskipper theory and YM theory , Dayskipper practical and VHF, it was not until I wanted to teach it that I went any further with course and exams etc.

Did Dayskipper theory and YM theory in the early 90's over 2 winters in the yacht club, run by a Navy chap who was a senior RYA examiner. Then ran out of time with work and house building to go further, now age is catching up.

Brian

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I signed up to do Day Skipper theory simply because I need a qualification to be able to skipper the boat we bought in Croatia.

When the college/RYA saw that I had been sailing my own dinghy and bareboat chartering for 20 years, they contacted me and suggested that I forget Day Skipper and go straight to Yacht Master, so I accepted their suggestion.

I did VHF/DSC at a different college the same year.

I've tried to obtain an ICC on the basis of my YM + 30 years experience but the RYA won't do it. :(

Richard
Hiya Richard. If you have a certificate of competence as Yachtmaster Offshore you can get an ICC. Or simply complete a straightforward test.

https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/cruising/Web Documents/Boating Abroad/ICC Form.pdf

Details on the application form. ?

NealB

Visit site
My Dad had a Merchant Navy Master's ticket, foreign going, from his years with the Royal Mail Line.

I sailed with him, from the age of five, pottering around the east coast and near continent. Firstly in his Hurley Felicity, 'Minx', then aboard his converted 32 foot naval cutter, 'The Jan'.

He taught me most of what I know about cruising, backed up by much keen, avid, reading of my own.

I did a lot racing through the 1970's: National 12s, Squibs, Dragons and quarter tonners. That helped to sharpen up my pure sailing skills.

I did the yachtmaster theory exam, in the summer of 1989, after an excellent correspondence course with the Wheelhouse School of Navigation.

I took the yachtmaster practical exam, in December 1989, after a prep. week in the Solent, with Southern Sailing.

I did a correspondence course for ocean yachtmaster, and passed the theory exam (edit: was there an exam? I can't remember), but I haven't bothered submitting anything to get the actual ticket.

I got an ICC in 1990, and don't remember having to do anything other than applying, and paying, for it.

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Hiya Richard. If you have a certificate of competence as Yachtmaster Offshore you can get an ICC.

I'm assuming he means he did the Yachtmaster theory course, not the practical assessment.

I think it's reasonable that this doesn't automatically translate into an ICC, because someone who merely had an interest in navigation could decide to do all the theory courses for their own sake without ever setting foot in a boat, and the ICC is primarily meant to ensure you can manoeuvre without crashing into things or otherwise being a nuisance.

Of course, Richard himself is obviously more than sufficiently competent for an ICC, and maybe there's an argument that the RYA should allow it to be issued on the basis of experience, but that's completely separate from the question about Yachtmaster theory. Personally I don't think it's so unreasonable that the RYA's policy is "if you're so experienced, you'll have no difficulty demonstrating it in a couple of hours with an assessor". Indeed, as a document with international legal significance, they may very well not be allowed to issue it without either an equivalent qualification or an in-person assessment.

Pete

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Yachtmaster Offshore. Did it about 15 years ago when our club organised a theory course over the winter and three of us hired an examiner for the weekend to do the practical. Just about paid for itself in discounts on insurance premiums since then. And it simplified the formalities of chartering in the Caribbean a few years ago.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I'm assuming he means he did the Yachtmaster theory course, not the practical assessment.

I think it's reasonable that this doesn't automatically translate into an ICC, because someone who merely had an interest in navigation could decide to do all the theory courses for their own sake without ever setting foot in a boat, and the ICC is primarily meant to ensure you can manoeuvre without crashing into things or otherwise being a nuisance.

Of course, Richard himself is obviously more than sufficiently competent for an ICC, and maybe there's an argument that the RYA should allow it to be issued on the basis of experience, but that's completely separate from the question about Yachtmaster theory. Personally I don't think it's so unreasonable that the RYA's policy is "if you're so experienced, you'll have no difficulty demonstrating it in a couple of hours with an assessor". Indeed, as a document with international legal significance, they may very well not be allowed to issue it without either an equivalent qualification or an in-person assessment.

Pete
Ah, Yachtmaster theory. That explains it. ?

flaming

Visit site
I initially went and got Coastal skipper because my Dad wouldn't lend me his boat.

He still wouldn't lend me his boat.

So I went and got yachtmaster.

He still wouldn't lend me his boat.

I then got commercially endorsed, worked for various Solent based charter companies, became a cruising instructor, became the regular helm for the race boat (and skipper of same when the owner wasn't on board), won a load of races and some nice trophies and delivered that race boat all over the South coast.

Dad still wouldn't lend me his boat.... I think in hindsight he just wanted to go sailing with me.

Piddy

Visit site
PB2 as part of sailing club rescue boat, PB2 on parents motor cruiser whilst on Thames, VHF License in 80's then with DSC in 90's, Cevni, Radar. ICC back from the days when the SC Commodore could sign you off as competent (still maintained and used when chartering).

Lucky for me, I was able to use my parents boat from when I was about 18. I crossed the Channel with friends when aged 20 - in pre GPS/Decca days and still got where I was aiming.....

Blueboatman

Visit site
I have a vhf radio certificate ?
And a ( quite nice) sextant ?

‘ fraid I still sail on windvane and compass, paper charts and depth sounder/alarm though !

( With a tiny chart plotter running in the background occasionally on a wee shelf)-which is actually jolly interesting for proving-or disproving -let us call it ‘ finessing’ the value to attach to the multitude of elements involved in assessing DR on a sailing boat in a wind tide and seas...
Does that count as navigatorial CPD please??
I have turned on the radar ( self taught, ugh) a couple of times in 10years in fog and found it superb.

Last edited:

glynd

Visit site
and VHF.

PB2 followed by DS theory which then opened up sailing... Then DS, YM theory, CS (To allow for better chartering, and also for a laugh), PB intermediate, Ocean theory (before a transat), Dinghy 1 & 2
Due to racing, I end up keeping the sea survival / ISAF topped up
Due to paranoia, I keep the first aid training topped up
Oh yes, VHF somewhere in there

ctva

Visit site
Elementary Dayboat (with tidal endorsement), ...
Hey, I've got that too, in the natty orange booklet. :)

I went through the dinghy and powerboat schemes to teach at a Scout centre on a voluntary basis. Along the way I got to Coach Assessor, Powerboat Trainer and Advanced Examiner. Only ever did theory stuff for big boats to formalise my knowledge for powerboating, YM Theory (I did become a Shorebased Instructor but never used it) and VHF. Still an SI on paper but don't dinghy sail anymore. Still do all the PB stuff for fun (and getting paid ;) ).

I know very few in big boats with practical DS/YM unless they are chartering abroad or teach. I do wonder if the week long practical is past it's sell by date as like most other activities, needs to be more modular and shorter weekend style.