As an Instructor and a generally nosy person who spelling is crap.

Babylon

Visit site
Agreed with your sentiments. I did 37 yrs. and 266 very satisfying days in the profession. However all professions have humour directed at them in one form or another eg. The Navy Lark, Dad's Army, Domby and Son, let alone politicians! etc. etc. ...

Fair enough, Teach! ?‍?

dslittle

Visit site
I've tried to obtain an ICC on the basis of my YM + 30 years experience but the RYA won't do it. :(

Richard

I went out for a weekend on the hit and miss with some pals 30 years ago. I liked it and went out a few more times on the Club boats. Later I became involved with the running of the Club!!!
Early chartering in Greece was allowed after demonstrating a stern too mooring and then off (it’s a bit different now).
After a number of years, someone asked if I had my DS as they wanted me to skipper one of the boats. I said that I did not have any qualifications. It was put to me that it might be ‘nice’ if I supported the Club and do the DS. I did the DS practical. It was then suggested that I did my YM so, that winter, I did the YM Theory and VHF. The weekends continued to be fun. I then bought my own yacht and sailed quite a lot more. With friends, I had a nice ‘holiday’ in the sun and did my YM practical (someone on here will remember that - the exam was delayed due to some VERY strong winds causing a bit of damage...). Since then, I’ve sailed quite few thousands of miles.
On the basis of my YM + 30 years experience, I was going to get my ICC but the RYA wouldn’t do it (I see now that they will???) so my wife has got an ICC using her DS and is the Skipper for any officialdom (never been asked for, well we‘ve never been asked for anything...).

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
On the basis of my YM + 30 years experience, I was going to get my ICC but the RYA wouldn’t do it (I see now that they will???) so my wife has got an ICC using her DS and is the Skipper for any officialdom (never been asked for, well we‘ve never been asked for anything...).
Are you suggesting that the RYA might now issue an ICC on the basis of YM Theory + 30 years experience? :unsure:

Richard

prv

Visit site
I do have the Practical.

Yes, that's what I was saying. Richard misread it to think that you only had only attended the theory lessons, like him, and got his hopes up ;)

I was not saying that the RYA will issue an ICC for a YM Practical

I'm not really keeping track of who said what - the horse's mouth is the table at the bottom of this page, and a Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence is acceptable.

Pete

fisherman

Visit site
One fisherman is a retained fireman and he still had to do the firefighting cert.
I have YM plus 50 years experience, but inevitably some of that is one year experience many times.

dslittle

Visit site
I'm not really keeping track of who said what - the horse's mouth is the table at the bottom of this page, and a Yachtmaster Certificate of Competence is acceptable.

Pete

That is really useful, it wasn’t in existence when I initially looked.
As it stands, I’m happy to acknowledge my wife’s superior qualification if we are ever stopped out on the water (sailing and otherwise!!!).

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I went out for a weekend on the hit and miss with some pals 30 years ago. I liked it and went out a few more times on the Club boats. Later I became involved with the running of the Club!!!
Early chartering in Greece was allowed after demonstrating a stern too mooring and then off (it’s a bit different now).
After a number of years, someone asked if I had my DS as they wanted me to skipper one of the boats. I said that I did not have any qualifications. It was put to me that it might be ‘nice’ if I supported the Club and do the DS. I did the DS practical. It was then suggested that I did my YM so, that winter, I did the YM Theory and VHF. The weekends continued to be fun. I then bought my own yacht and sailed quite a lot more. With friends, I had a nice ‘holiday’ in the sun and did my YM practical (someone on here will remember that - the exam was delayed due to some VERY strong winds causing a bit of damage...). Since then, I’ve sailed quite few thousands of miles.
That Spanish helicopter pilot saw 100 knots of wind at Europa Point when they were trying to rescue the crew off that tanker that hit the rocks there. Heavy airs......

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Dinghy sailing.
Day Skipper and Yachtmaster theory.
VHF.
ICC.
CEVNI.
2,500 miles racing around cans.
Two handed races from UK to Ireland, France and Spain.
Countless Channel and Channel Island crossings.
Seychelles, Greece.
Boat owner for 33 years.