Around the channel in many days

LeytonC

Visit site
Right, just got back from holiday - not bad once the weather cleared up.. so this is what happened...

Friday 26th May

Winds to strong, canceled lock out of sharpness- booked next tide

Saturday AM tide

Winds to strong, canceled lock out of sharpness - booked next tide

saturday PM

Winds to strong, canceled lock out of sharpness - booked next tide
along with 27 other boats

- Hang on, i am seeing a pattern here but it does get better honest!

Met solitare II at sharpness.

Sunday AM Tide - Wind WNW 3

Huazzzzzah, a window - so of i got, we lock down and move to the waiting pontoons and wait for high water, a load go out 1 hour before high water for some strange reason. anyway, bit lumpy under 2nd crossing but nothing we cannot cope with. got to portishead at the same time as the others who left an hour before me (important lesson there i think /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

We stay in portishead for couple of days, cos winds not great.

Also met Solitare II on the way back - where did you go Rich???? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tuesday AM Tide

Lock out from portishead on way to penarth, well lumpy on the way out, waves over the top lots of spray, had an apple fall off the fruit bowl - but nothing else moved! so cupboards were well set up /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif got out to the deny SCM and it flattened out enough to move to flat out speed and head for penarth.

We were stopping for 1 night in penarth, so i thought we would stop in cardif bay yacht club - last time it was £2.50 per night, now find its a tenner and for that we got no water point, power and a loooonnnngg walk to the club (i have a disabled crew member, who finds it difficult to walk long distance) but all visitor moorings were full. My mate had paid already and office closed by the time we figured all this out or we would have had money back and moved in to marina for 5 pounds more. By the time a taxi ride was figured in from CBYC to penath it worked out nearly 7 pounds more expensive than berthing in the marina. Wont be making that mistake again.

Wednesday AM tide

Left Penarth in almost flat calm conditions and crossed to watchet, got an excellent berth in marina. We also met PCUK there as well, which was nice - i was supprised how much the marina had sillted up since i was last there. first berth i had basicaly dried out (on extremely soft mud, so did not really matter). on the next tide i moved 6 foot back on the pontoon and stayed afloat all the time. Had a great time there - a really good place to go for a couple of relaxing days.

Oh, and the MTB mentioned in MBM is in there as well (MTB 'Gay Archer') and is well worth a look around.

Friday AM Tide

At this point, i am just to slow to try to make lundy, so decided to go back to penarth marina for a night. had another excellent flat calm crossing.

Saturday AM Tide

Crossed from penarth to portishead - all flat calm again.

Sunday AM Tide (only just, cos it was an 1130 lock!)

Crossed from portishead to sharpness, excellent crossing. only problem was slight delay in lock at portishead. Bit of a pain because of how close times are up at sharpness.

All in all, an excellent weeks worth of crusing. i hope everyone else had a good week.

graham

Visit site
Glad you finally got away, I sailed over to Portishead on Monday then back to Cardiff on Tuesday locked out of Portishead at Midday.

Were you one of the Mobos that passed me off Clevedon? Got a wave off the first one ,others a bit far away.You must have been tied up in CBYC when we got back,Would have walked down the looooong Pontoon if I had known.

PS Our boat is a smal;l blue and cream yacht with White sails.

LeytonC

Visit site
Dont think it was me, i went along the Welshook, EW grounds, behind cardiff grounds way, so i would have been a way away from clevedon - i might of been with the other mobos that were far away though - i remember seeing some yachts over that side though. Sorry i missed you!

solitaire11

Visit site
hi leyton. well we crossed back to cardiff on wednesday and we also stopped at cbyc this time and im sorry to say it'll be our last, (bobbing around ridicuosly allday and night, id rather pay the extra in the marina). we stayed til friday and ran back to portishead with "ruth louise" til saturday and then sharpy. coming back down this thursday and locking out friday pm (hopefully) to docks rally, you going???? only £24 for 2 nights, maybe see you somewhere???.

LeytonC

Visit site
Yes if the weather is good! was thinking of running to penarth, but might be worth a trip down for the docks rally.

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Sounds like a great week even if it did get off to a slow start.

I went out thurs evening and it was much rougher than expected- we got well wet.

however Saturday was much better when I took my parents out around the Islands.