Armchair sailing?

burgundyben

Visit site
One of the things like most about YBW forums, is seeing someone mention a port that I don't know, then I go off to google maps to have a look round.

I often spot fabulous places I would like to go to.

Today, in PBO forum, someone asked about Neyland, so I had a mooch around there on google, about 7 miles west is a place called Angle, I'd love to drop the hook there and row ashore, walk the mile further west through the village to West Angle Beach.

Where have you armchair sailed to?

burgundyben

Visit site
Portwrinkle looks a lovely spot.

I've just head a very pleasant armchair sail around Plymouth, and earlier, I sailed up through the Minch and looked across at mainland and the Hebrides.

Stemar

Visit site
Portwrinkle looks a lovely spot.

I've just head a very pleasant armchair sail around Plymouth, and earlier, I sailed up through the Minch and looked across at mainland and the Hebrides.
It is, but the harbour would be small for my 24 footer, even if it weren't full of sand, and the approach through sharp rocks would be terrifying in anything less than a flat calm.

bats

Visit site
Now is the time to get your head around OpenCPN. Use the ShipDriver plugin and see if you can get alongside Devonport Dockyard!

doug748

Visit site
Not somewhere to sail to, but we visited Portwrinkle Harbour. It's at the end of Finnygook Lane.

Well, with names like that, we had to

A quarter of a mile up the lane is the Finnygook Inn at Crafthole, recently re-opened after a fire.
Draught Bass and good food, treat yourself .
: - )

tico

Visit site
Pick up a mooring at Angle, dinghy ashore for a pint (or 2) at The Point House then walk up the hill , say hello to the Lifeboat crew and then down to West Angle. Crab salad at The Wavecrest cafe.
Ah well.... looking forward to better days!

V1701

Visit site
An old mate of mine once tried to convince me there is a place in Yorkshire called Shit on th'ill (Shit on the Hill). There isn't...

Edit - mentioned in another thread - esail simulator, for if you want some actual armchair sailing, it's only £20 (man overboard add-on £7!). I'm very tempted. And I'm sorry for having lowered the tone...:giggle:

Last edited:

PHN

Visit site
Try Blacksod Bay, Ireland if you like deserted areas. I have been there. It is an amazing location. Directly connected to the Atlantic and still plenty of shelter.