Are boats cheap in A Coruna?

Daydream believer

Visit site
My wife & I did not even get as far as Coruna, when she said that she had enough of the boat, of the heat & of the French ( understandable) & got on a plane & went home. Said I could do what I liked. I turned round & sailed home. Had a great time sailing SH & still do. Far better without her moaning about how windy it is. She has taken up golf & still complains if it is windy o_O

newtothis

Visit site
Google tells me £3.5k is price Jamaica to UK for 40 foot container. Less 7 or 8 years ago before covid upset things, I presume.
Google also says it's only $3,500 to send a box from Shanghai to LA. Believe me, it isn't.

Fimacca

Visit site
Await next spring. Bingo.
There will be loads of boats on the market.
Loads of panic buying went on in lockdown, and it will take them 12 months to work out what a boat REaLLY costs to run and for the wife to start moaning about going !

dgadee

Visit site
Google also says it's only $3,500 to send a box from Shanghai to LA. Believe me, it isn't.

Ha! Very funny. Google must be true - it's on the internet after all.

Mind you it cost that to move my stuff from Donaghadee over the Irish Sea (perhaps the most expensive piece of water in the UK until the bridge/floating tube/tunnel is built) so my scepticism should have been brought to bare.

Daydream believer

Visit site
BBC reported a couple of nights ago about the Evergreen, that blocked the Suez canal, arriving a Felixtowe. They mentioned that this sort of delay, plus world events, had contributed to container rates into Felixtowe had going from £2500 to £ 15,000 per container.

newtothis

Visit site
BBC reported a couple of nights ago about the Evergreen, that blocked the Suez canal, arriving a Felixtowe. They mentioned that this sort of delay, plus world events, had contributed to container rates into Felixtowe had going from £2500 to £ 15,000 per container.
That's about right. On the Asia-US trade I've heard anecdotal reports of c.$30k for a 40 ft box.
It's way more than just Ever Given parking in the Suez for a week, however. US demand is stratospheric, port delays are epic, containers are in the wrong places. The whole system is maxed beyond relief and is unlikely to repair itself for another 9-12 months at earliest. Add in another round of flu-know-what kicking off in China and things could get even worse.