Aquastar 38 purchase - Survey & Sea Trial tomorrow

superheat6k

Visit site
I used Bill Caselton, who had surveyed the boat previously in 2018, and who's report then I thought was very balanced and sensible.

I couldn't believe the acceleration and the sound of the superchargers cutting in at lower revs was unusual for me.

The trim tabs have an interesting affect on the boat's travel - nearly turned 90 degrees at 23 knots without too much warning as we played with the to me unusual 3 way tab control lever, at which point I decided discretion was the better part of valour so I backed the EVC (or is EDC ?) throttles off. They are also a lot looser under the hand than the morse levers I am used to. The balance between the engines / levers was perfect - something I was never used to on either my Corvette or Turbo 36.

Possibly a bit under propped 20" x 20" at WOT / max revs at 3,500 I reckon the engines had loads of grunt left - so do I increase the diameter or pitch a tad to get lower revs per speed / optimum fuel economy ?

The engines looked and sounded perfect, and no hesitation at all from first cold start throughout the trip through the harbour to Lake Yard, and return to Salterns YC.

The hull moisture was fine with the clear statement 'this boat does not have osmosis'.

I expect there will be a few minor comments and perhaps issues with Fire extinguishers being out of date or insufficient, plus the fridge didn't work (not overly phased by that one !).

The vendor is leaving a decent inventory with quite a few extras he never worked out function of.

End result I expect will be positive after my final discussions with the Broker after I have read the written report.

sharpness

Visit site
Sounds positive Trevor.
Reference the EDC controls, the tension of the throttle levers can easily be increased or decreased, by adjusting the locking / tension nut located under the Volvo Penta plastic cap on the base of each lever, assuming the control unit is like this...

s-l400.jpg