Aquaholic Channel - Huuuugeeeee Boats

Bigplumbs

Visit site
For many years I have enjoyed watching Nicks channel but in the last few months he seems to just be interested in massive super yachts which are way way out of reach for most people.

Nick always does excellent reviews and his channel is doing very well.

For me however I am not interested in these massive ‘Ships’ for rich blokes and have found myself not bothering to watch his channel much any more. I used to watch every review previously.

What do others think

Binnacle

Visit site
Agreed. It's just product placement (advertising). What other motivation can boat builders have to allow someone who is not going to buy a big boat to have free rides and visits ?

Binnacle

Visit site
I challenge that first claim. How do you know how many views are boaters viewing out of boredom or idleness ? Do you mean that the more views a boat gets the more a broker or builder sells ? There must be a limit to capacity.

It's another matter if the invidious blogs are for plain entertainment.

oldgit

Visit site
At least its an independent look at boats from somebody who really has had a look or been on just about everthing that floats over the years.
Not the least end bit interested in the high end fluff but if it helps keep available reviews of the older smaller boats, whats not to like. ?
Something like this but nowhere near as nice sold for£40K recently.
All for less money than an unstable soapdish with tent on top only usable for a couple of days in summer if it stops raining and the outdrive is for once not leaving a rainbow trail of leaking hydraulic or gear box oil in its wake ? :)

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
At least its an independent look at boats from somebody who really has had a look or been on just about everthing that floats over the years.
Not the least end bit interested in the high end fluff but if it helps keep available reviews of the older smaller boats, whats not to like. ?
Something like this but nowhere near as nice sold for£40K recently.
All for less money than an unstable soapdish with tent on top only usable for a couple of days in summer if it stops raining and the outdrive is for once not leaving a rainbow trail of leaking hydraulic or gear box oil in its wake ? :)

What about if it was on Shafts :eek:

Sianna

Visit site
I really enjoy Nick's Aquaholics channel, but I am inclined to agree with the OP, whilst it's awesome to look at a few multi million pound boats, but they are so far out of my price range, Nick's last 9 video's had an average cost of£ 5.1m each!!

I prefer it when he reviews the more realistic (for me at least) end of the boating market >£200k.

Hence why I now tend to glance at Aquaholics then move on to look at other channels like : A Life More Boaty

https://www.youtube.com/@ALifeMoreBoaty

Nick does an awesome job and I like his presentation style but I'd prefer him to look at a few more realistically priced boats, what a 1st world problem eh ?

Mr Googler

Visit site
To be fair…you see the content change when and after the boat shows are on. He’s not going to go to the US and do one video of the cheapest boat at the show. He’s going to get loads of tours and content for his channel on whatever he can.

I like the range of boats he does. Nice to see how the other half live and it keeps the pennies rolling in with all those views so all credit to him

paradave

Visit site
I tend to agree with OP, I used to enjoy the variety of boats and really buy into the sub £500k ones as they were technically affordable if not practicable to buy! However, he did make an announcement over Xmas time that the channel was changing and part of this was higher value boats so I’m less inclined to spend 20mins looking over another super yacht.

For me, true super yachts are all incredible but, without a potential owners viewpoint, not dissimilar and I can’t differentiate between them too much!

Total respect to Nick however, he’s built a fantastic channel, resource and brand.

Portofino

Visit site
There isn’t a shortage of SY material so like others I would prefer more down to earth .
The owner interviews I thought were his USP you know how folks got into boating , there personal history, why this particular one , how they use it .Etc etc .

As mark inferred ( if I understood the term correctly? ) “ monetisation “ there’s pressure to get the viewing and reap greater revenues from advertising/ Sponsors / banners etc .So often u tube channels evolve , they sort of end up in a hamster wheel running faster and faster to keep up .

I watch less of Nicks these days , not since this yrs changes , just because I got board of smiley Nick .It probably me but he’s too nice and does not criticise enough obviously.So the reviews are hugely one sided far too complimentary .

My Daughter FWIW works for Clarksons “ Grand tour channel “ putting that content together
No shortage of viewers or off screen controversy ;) .Wokery seems quite topical the mo .

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
tbh Nick channel is mostly the same old thing. His best was the owner interviews, those are very nice, but the rest is cheesy. Too cheesy.
Opening drawers, oh this is top drawer stuff cause it has Miele appliances or whatever. Can you judge a boat quality by its appliances.....

Its kind what you accept a broker to do, and James and Boat.co.uk does more or less the same with the British Humour thrown in and some technical details.
Ok James will be biased a lot since he will show you what he is selling, but can you see the difference between the two?
The Azimut reviews by Federico Ferrante (Azimut-Benetti Americas Manager) are more or less the same thing as well.

Jacks new YachtBuyer channel has much more substance IMO. His Ferretti 860 review was very good, nearly getting close to Bulleri TheBoatShow standard.
I know that Bulleri is in Italian which for me is like second or third language, and for most of you is like not understandable, but he gives some technical numbers on hull, consumption, and other stuff, which the others miss.
Also the fact that the Bulleri reviews are shrinked in like ten minutes makes it more special. For how much can you watch a review.
Is it really important to show all drawers on YT and for this going over the thirty minute mark.

my 2 cents....

Portofino

Visit site
tbh Nick channel is mostly the same old thing. His best was the owner interviews, those are very nice, but the rest is cheesy. Too cheesy.

Jacks new YachtBuyer channel has much more substance IMO. His Ferretti 860 review was very good, nearly getting close to Bulleri TheBoatShow standard.
I know that Bulleri is in Italian which for me is like second or third language, and for most of you is like not understandable, but he gives some technical numbers on hull, consumption, and other stuff, which the others miss.
Also the fact that the Bulleri reviews are shrinked in like ten minutes makes it more special. For how much can you watch a review.
Is it really important to show all drawers on YT and for this going over the thirty minute mark.

my 2 cents....
Yep +1to Bulleri .
There are some Eng translations.
eg ……but ck out the content info , style and facts ( could be any boat i,am not bias honestly guys .) :)

MapisM

Visit site
Weird that he gives no fuel burn numbers at all, as he usually does.
He must have thought they were too scary to be disclosed! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, interestingly he also talks of "traditional, reliable, safe and eternal straight shafts", without mentioning that she's actually on v-drives...

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
It is correct that every boat that Nick reviews is Fantastic and Wonderful. Never any Critical comments.... They cannot all be that good.

Same on his Motorholic Channel where he generally reviews Motor Homes.....They are all wonderful also.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Weird that he gives no fuel burn numbers at all, as he usually does.
He must have thought they were too scary to be disclosed! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, interestingly he also talks of "traditional, reliable, safe and eternal straight shafts", without mentioning that she's actually on v-drives...

She drinks about 10 litres per nautical mile, possibly a bit better in the best cruise. A friend of mine is around 9.5liters per nautical mile at 26 knots and medium load he told me.
Which is not bad for around 30 tons and twin 1400hp. Possibly the least consuming boat with those engines.
As far as I know V-drive, U-drives are still called straight line shafts, it is not like it bent or something. It is the direct which changes in the technical terms.