Applicability of experience on smaller sail cruisers

finestgreen

Visit site
As I said in my other recent thread about RYA theory, I'm new to sailing and would like to quickly build up to being able to do a flotilla / charter holiday with my family. I'm planning to do the Competent Crew course and would like then to move on to Day Skipper and beyond to Coastal.

I've seen this local club - Cruising - and flitting around the Solent area on one of their cruisers seems like an easy way of building experience. But... how relevant would experience gained on a 18-21' cruiser be to a typical charter yacht? Is it so different that it's of limited value?

(I understand that under 7m it doesn't count as experience for Yachtmaster, but I'm not too worried about that yet)

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I would look to join a local (where are you?) sailing club and just get out on the water with anyone who wants a crew or is willing to help you out. That way you will very quickly pick up the basics and soon become pretty good at it. Then you will be in demand by boat owners who need a crew and could probably skip the (expensive) competant crew course and concentrate on the day/coastal skipper courses or whatever they are called now. These are harder but more useful and open doors to charter or more serious crewing opportunities. None of it is that difficult if you can get out on the water and there must be plenty of ownwers who need a crew or two?

Slowboat35

Visit site
When I asked a well known company what experience they wanted for a flotilla holiday they replied, "have you ever sailed a dinghy?"
This was for a Croatian flotilla on Jaguar or Gibsea(?)27s or thereabouts, 20 years ago.

On a flotilla the dayskipper rating is far more than you 'need' as they have lead-boat crew to show you the ropes for the first day or half day.

Even a 40ft charter yacht sails exactly the same as a dinghy in the same waay that a 17ton truck drives exactlythe same as a mini. The difference is acclimatising to the size, inertia and equipment but the fundamentals are the same. In the truck you'd need showing how to use a preselector gearbox and airbrakes. In the yacht you'd need to know how to use a winches and the anchor. The size is somethng you get used to pretty quickly.

The differences, though appearing substantial are just detail - as long as you have some sailing ability in the first place.

I'd go to a club - anywhere where you can sail keelboats and do all the hands-on sailing you can, including helming.
Don't waste your time just yet with courses. Esp cc.

Stick postcards up on club noticeboards advertising yourself as a keen novice. If you're available regularly you'll get plenty of takers.

On the buildup to your flotilla you'll be nervous as a cat, believe me, wondering how the heck you ever got yourself into such a bind and by the dockside briefing you'll probably be feeling like running away. After you've pretended to your crew you have some idea of what you're doing and got out of your berth feeling physically sick you'll be wondering five minutes later what you were getting so worked up about and half an hour later you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
Or maybe you'll remember this advice and take it all in your capable stride with a grin!

Either way, you'll love it!

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Formal training is one thing, but in the end it just comes down to time. A small boat will challenge you more and you will learn more quickly. You can't expect every minute to be a learning experience, so don't be disappointed if one day you don't think you have learned anything new. It all adds up to developing a feel for the game, and no time on the water is ever wasted, and it should always be enjoyable anyway.

doug748

Visit site
I agree with t'others.

The cruising club looks great. It would give you one important thing that you can't get from tuition, courses, racing or cruising in other people's boats. It would give you the chance to take your own decisions, with nobody to tell you what to do and no one to lean on when things get iffy.
Big step that one.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I would look to join a local (where are you?) sailing club and just get out on the water with anyone who wants a crew or is willing to help you out.
Although that is sometimes recommended, I have never met anyone for whom it actually worked. Aren't those who are in the market for newcomers as crew more-or-less by definition those with whom none of the established members will sail?

Uricanejack

Visit site
Sounds like a great way to gain experience.
I used to really enjoy sailing a small Cal 20 . Round the Bay for an afternoon, borrowed from a sailing school, many local sailor, started with a basic sailing course at the school and would rent them cheep shortly after to get out on the water hands on by themselves.
A small simple boat easy to sail in familiar water,A great way to get some water under your keel.
when you feel comfortable, try going further afield, or a bit bigger

Who really cares what the RYA thinks about the size, so long as you are having fun. unless you want to go pro.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
if you want to do flotilla or bare boat chartering just get your day skipper and ICC (free for rYA members) a radio license (half day course) and go!

That's what I did.

I went straight to a bare boat charter in Croatia as that was my whole reason for doing it and just planned and sailed a cautious route. It was brilliant.

I got a bit more serious after that but could have kept on doing that for years had I wished.

Once you have the basics then dicking about in a tub doesn't teach you half as much as chartering in unknown waters.

ashtead

Visit site
The main skill needed on most charters is the ability to motor astern assuming a basic dinghy sailing ability . You need to be able to listen to flot skipper as to where to go and reasonable eyesight but most trips always seemed to me looking back super short voyages . Ability to use a radio is also good to speak to the flot lead in case of booked heads, jammed in mast mainsail reefing or failing fridge etc. If time permits sign up for a shore based vhf course maybe in advance ? There are some sailing apps which might be of interest plus stuff on u tube which might take your fancy in terms of both learning and entertainment if you find one of areas you aim to charter in say BVI or wherever . Any sailing you can get in advance is good but just be aware of some sailing instructors out there who are perfectly balanced with chips on both shoulders and think the students are there to give them free drinks etc. So ask around before sailing up with any sailing training in uk for competent crew. Most dealers /brokers know the good instructors as have good feedback from their buyers looking to learn on new vessel.