Anyone know the whereabouts of a broken windsurfer/laser/similar carbon mast.

davidej

Visit site
Now we are buying a smaller genny, I want to replace my oversize and seriously overweight aluminium pole. I have heard lots about DIY whisker poles from a broken mast.

Can anyone on the East Coast point me in the right direction?

Cobra

Visit site
I have an old Laser top section broken at the usual point...if you want it it's yours...it has been sitting in my garage for several years now!
NB...Laser top sections are Aluminium not Carbon Fibre

ctva

Visit site
I acquired a Laser mast top section (broken) I think it is about 3.5m with the same intention till I found out that the end fitting alone are about £100 EACH unless you can get some second hand ones (anyone?)

Cobra

Visit site
Not quite true - if budget allows ?

Laser Carbon Composite Upper Mast
Well, I guess that it is a reasonable investment on the assumption that they don't go bang quite as quickly as the old alloy ones do! I raced Lasers for about 12 years , I had 4 brand new boats and had top sections go within a year on all of them. The rivet point on the collar always being the break point. But £520 for a top section that offers no performance advantage...glad that I have found a more comfortable way of emptying my bank account!

jimi

Visit site
I was looking at daughter's wall where she has an oar after winning blades as a cox for Lady Margaret a couple of years ago and was thinking that they might make a great whisker or spinnaker pole? Maybe ask boat club if they've an old oar? Alternative is perhaps to get a bit of carbon fibre tubing ?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I was looking at daughter's wall where she has an oar after winning blades as a cox for Lady Margaret a couple of years ago and was thinking that they might make a great whisker or spinnaker pole? Maybe ask boat club if they've an old oar? Alternative is perhaps to get a bit of carbon fibre tubing ?
Have things changed? When I was a rower (Churchill!) the cox got a rudder, not an oar. The coach got a replica of the prow of a wooden eight. I've got two oars and a rudder in my dining room!

When I had a wind generator, it was mounted on the shaft of a carbon fibre oar. However, I'm not convinced it was significantly lighter than an alloy one would have been. The shaft was sold with the generator some years ago.

jimi

Visit site
Have things changed? When I was a rower (Churchill!) the cox got a rudder, not an oar. The coach got a replica of the prow of a wooden eight. I've got two oars and a rudder in my dining room!

When I had a wind generator, it was mounted on the shaft of a carbon fibre oar. However, I'm not convinced it was significantly lighter than an alloy one would have been. The shaft was sold with the generator some years ago.
She had the option of the rudder or the oar, the coach persuaded her to get the oar!