Anyone got a Lloyds Register of Yachts handy?

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
A friend reading through a pile of yottimags from the late 1940's found an item which said that Harry King at Pin Mill was building, to drawings by Norman Dallimore, "a sister to Philip Allen's well known 12 tonner "Mirelle"".

The reason for Dallimore's involvement was that Blake, who designed Mirelle, died in 1939 and the sister was to be Bermuda rigged, without a bowsprit. Knowing Mirelle, she could indeed be perfectly sucessful Bermuda sloop, were she not a gaff cutter - her helm is light.

Finding that my boat has a sister, after all these years, makes me want to track her down!

If anyone has a copy, could they perhaps make a note of any 12 tonners designed by Dallimore and built by King, perhaps 37ft OA, 9ft 9ins beam, 27ft 6ins WL and 5ft draft, between say 1947 and say 1950 and let me know the name and details?

Many thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>Que scais-je?

Forbsie

Visit site
A couple off possibilities for you.

Allegro, 165470, MMKS, Aux Bm Cut, 12 tons, 42.5 OA, 29 WL, 9.3 beam, 1937

Catania, 165149, MMSX, Aux Bm Cut, 12 tons, 40.7 OA, 28 WL, 6.7 beam, 1938

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

AndrewB

Visit site
Apologies for stating the obvious, but you have tried Harry King & Son's yard? Presumably they keep records.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
I'll drop in very shortly, but in my experience East Coast wooden builders do not keep records; they rely on "oral history" and perhaps a line of champagne corks hung from a rafter!

Mind you, Harland and Wolff, with whom I've had some dealings, used to shudder at the very mention of the word "TITANIC" and pretend they had lost the drawings - then they realised they were sitting on a gold mine and "found" them again!

paulstevens

Visit site
Greetings,

in 1950 Lloyds the only boat attributed to both King and Dallimore is Sic Transit, ex Winsome, 13TM but built 1934.
Allegro is attributed to William King of BOC not Harry of Pin Mill
Interestingly there is a bmu sloop attributed to H King and Blake with very similar dimensions to Mirelle called Seagoe and built 1934

cheers Paul

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Thanks very much. The 1950 edition is the vital link in the chain.

Seagoe I know about; she was (here comes a deply obscure, utterly trivial, factlet!) the very first boat built as a "metacentroid" in accordance with the metacentric shelf theory - most people think that honour goes to Robert Clark's "Mystery". I have exchanged letters with one who sailed a good deal on her, and thought very highly of her, but she was wrecked in the Irish Sea many years ago.

The only possibilities seem to be that the project never went ahead, or that the boat was eventually built in 1953 as "Callidus".

ewells

Visit site
Hi,

My father owns a yacht called 'Callidus' that was built in 1952. It's alive and well on the Essex coast.

Please contact me and I'll give you his details.

ed 'at' uksecurewebhosting.net

JonAllen

Visit site
A friend reading through a pile of yottimags from the late 1940's found an item which said that Harry King at Pin Mill was building, to drawings by Norman Dallimore, "a sister to Philip Allen's well known 12 tonner "Mirelle"".

The reason for Dallimore's involvement was that Blake, who designed Mirelle, died in 1939 and the sister was to be Bermuda rigged, without a bowsprit. Knowing Mirelle, she could indeed be perfectly sucessful Bermuda sloop, were she not a gaff cutter - her helm is light.

Finding that my boat has a sister, after all these years, makes me want to track her down!

If anyone has a copy, could they perhaps make a note of any 12 tonners designed by Dallimore and built by King, perhaps 37ft OA, 9ft 9ins beam, 27ft 6ins WL and 5ft draft, between say 1947 and say 1950 and let me know the name and details?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Mirelle, I saw your post whilst researching my grandfather Philip Allen and his sailing life. You are obviously extremely knowledgable about the boats he owned and I wondered whether you would be happy to supply me with any information you might have. I can be contacted at jonallen7319@gmail.com