Anyone able to recommend a good small boat restorer ?

Boatbore

Visit site
I am just in the process of inheriting a BB11 that has sat in a barn for more than 10 years. She looks and seems sound, with no obvious rot or glaring problems, but obviously needs work not least on the seams. Above the waterline there are one or two spots where you can see daylight which even I know is sub optimal ! She has a canvas deck that is gone and needs to be totally replacedwith something practical and hopefully not too expensive. Overall, she’s a 20 ft wooden keel boat. She is Carvel built with glued edges (not sure that’s still true !). Not sure how old she is. Ideally someone here would suggest a small yard or even a one man operation (the boat is on a trailer so is easily accommodated) where I can get some really good advice and some work done without the usual plunge down the wooden boat rabbit hole in terms of cost. Geographically, Home Counties (within 100 miles of London?) would suit, but I can go further afield if necessary.
I am not hung up on tradition or anything too romantic, I just want to put a pretty boat back into seagoing shape and use her for summer sailing. I also don’t need her fettled to showcase standard..... just good workable condition.

All advice welcome.
28943049-8F67-4ABE-8BE0-E55D3072CC99.jpeg

Boatbore

Visit site
Thanks all. i guess that ideally I am looking for someone not too far from London, and ideally with a bit of West in it..... i am a bit cautious of some of the famous South Coast yards...... and the bills that would result !

Reactions: Ink

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Halls at Walton advertise themselves as yacht restorers, and they have a good local reputation. They aren't expensive for small jobs that I've had done, by the time you take hoisting costs into account at marinas or boatyards; Halls don't charge for getting the boast in and out of the water!

wrr

Visit site
The canvas decking probably needs to be replaced with ply covered with glass and epoxy. The seams may need to be re-splined and glued. She is a lovely looking craft and any bodges may cost even more in the short to medium term. It might be worth having a chat with Tim Gilmore in Birdham Pool, Chichester (Tim Gilmore Ltd. - Home Page). I have found his small yard to be both accommodating of owner's whims and very skilful.
Good luck!

Black Diamond

Visit site
I owned a BB11 (Skipjack K8) and her previous owner had done a wonderful job of epoxy sheathing her. I heard a lot of gainsayers scratching their beards about it at the time, but for a carvel boat of that size and sail area, it was an excellent solution. I had so much fun with that boat, took her over (by road) to Brest '96 and also the International Festival of the Sea in Portsmouth in '98, and I hope you enjoy yours as much.

tonijon

east coast can be found most weekends at the Black
Visit site
Don't know why it just posted before I finished typing but here's goes again. Adrian is very good but builds tideway dinghies so if he has a rush on might be long waiting times. Other bloke to try if he is too busy is Laurence Weldon he is a yacht surveyor as well as a mcgrurer trained shipwright and talks a lot of sense. If you Google ark surveys there is a contact form to get hold of him.