Anybody know anything about the Sail Racing Academy?

PolymathArtisan

Visit site
I'm interested in getting into offshore racing and I found an ad on crewbay from the Sail Racing Academy about the Carribean 600. I sent them a message (nothing to lose right?) but I can't find out much about them online (aside from their own website). Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of them? Or just any advice in more general terms for me trying to get into offhsore stuff?

many thanks, fair winds and blue skies.

lw395

Visit site
If you want to get into 'big boat' racing, I'd suggest starting with inshore racing.
Winter series will be starting soon, a good place to start?

flaming

Visit site
Not heard of them before.

Seem to have only one boat, a 40.7, which doesn't seem to have the biggest sail wardrobe based on the yacht charter page. Suspect that they will be trying to avoid the wooden spoon rather than challenging for race wins, but (based solely on the website) look like a competent enough outfit to get your first offshore experience with if you choose to go down the pay to sail route.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
It's run by a nice guy - friendly and honest. He crewed on my J/109 for the first half of this season until his 40.7 was up and running. I think Flaming just about sums it up. The sailing is relying on professional skippers who I don't know so can't comment upon. Treat it as a learning route (hence the Academy title) rather than buying a place on the rail of a grand-prix boat.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Not heard of them before.

Seem to have only one boat, a 40.7, which doesn't seem to have the biggest sail wardrobe based on the yacht charter page. Suspect that they will be trying to avoid the wooden spoon rather than challenging for race wins, but (based solely on the website) look like a competent enough outfit to get your first offshore experience with if you choose to go down the pay to sail route.

Is it about winning?
When I sold my first cruiser & started crewing for others, I no longer had to try to win every race.
It was for the camaraderie among the crew & the fun meeting our mates at the meals at the clubs at the end of the races that counted for most. Of course we strived to be the slickest on the water; we wanted to look the best as we rounded the marks, fastest spinny hoist etc., but if the boat did not hack it, then it did not really worry us.

Last edited:

Germaine

Visit site
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've only just come across this thread. I run Sail Racing Academy and have done for the past 2 and a half years. It runs as a not for profit venture and to be inclusive so there is no rail meat on our boats and prices tend to be less than the average commercial organisation. Generally, we finish mid to top of the fleet, 4th in class for ARC (Just missed the podium and we were 2nd in all racing at one point), 1st in class for Round the Island 2019, hope that helps.

Regards
Germaine

flaming

Visit site
Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've only just come across this thread. I run Sail Racing Academy and have done for the past 2 and a half years. It runs as a not for profit venture and to be inclusive so there is no rail meat on our boats and prices tend to be less than the average commercial organisation. Generally, we finish mid to top of the fleet, 4th in class for ARC (Just missed the podium and we were 2nd in all racing at one point), 1st in class for Round the Island 2019, hope that helps.

Regards
Germaine
And since this thread started Germaine has sailed with us. Top bloke, good sailor.

Laser310

Visit site
is the C-600 going to happen?

I guess there is plenty of time.., but people have to get their boats there, and i wonder how many are afraid that their boats will get stuck there - as many did in the spring.

Birdseye

Visit site
I'm interested in getting into offshore racing and I found an ad on crewbay from the Sail Racing Academy about the Carribean 600. I sent them a message (nothing to lose right?) but I can't find out much about them online (aside from their own website). Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of them? Or just any advice in more general terms for me trying to get into offhsore stuff?

many thanks, fair winds and blue skies.
Hi.
I used Sailing Logic for some race training. Not so much as a way to get into offshore racing but because where I am based there isnt that much high level racing or racing skills about. It was an eye opener to be on a Reflex 35 ( it was a few years ago) with a true racing skipper on the start line and racing against two other similar boats. recommended - they do races in the med and carib etc

Laser310

Visit site
i noticed sail racing academy were on crewbay looking for people to do a transat delivery on the boat a few months ago- pretty sure it was free

i probably wouldn't do a transat on beneteau 40.7.., but maybe that's just me...

Germaine

Visit site
is the C-600 going to happen?

I guess there is plenty of time.., but people have to get their boats there, and i wonder how many are afraid that their boats will get stuck there - as many did in the spring.
I think there are only 2 of the usual UK operators currently looking at taking boats over to the Caribbean (ourselves included), however, the rumour is the C600 will go ahead irrespective as there are enough local boats to make it a success.

Hope that helps
G

Germaine

Visit site
i noticed sail racing academy were on crewbay looking for people to do a transat delivery on the boat a few months ago- pretty sure it was free

i probably wouldn't do a transat on beneteau 40.7.., but maybe that's just me...
Hi Laser 310, Let's just say I slept well on that Transat knowing that 12 months previously the keel had been removed / inspected and the matrix attachment reinforced. Eye watering expensive process but essential.
Fair Winds