Anybody in Spain at the moment?

Milestone

Visit site
Hi guys, just asking if anybody knows the situation in Spain reference anchoring overnight, as in Spain there is a curfew at night. We are currently in Catalonia, where the curfew is from 10 pm till 6am in the morning. The grey area is however, that curfew means for you to be off the streets, but if you are anchored in your vessel, you're not technically out on the streets.? Does anybody know the official stance on this?

billskip

Visit site
Curfew same here in Tenerife
10 to 6...plenty of boats moving about and anchoring over night....three in the bay now.

nortada

Visit site

Can’t be true. ?

In another thread I was widely castigated for observing that Portugal was treating it’s trapped visitors in a civilised manner and was curtly reminded that the EU would act as one when it came to the treatment on inadvertent ‘overstayers’.

Clearly, Spain has yet to hear of the EU’s - ‘all for one and one for all’ policy.

As this forum is all about living on board, I refrain from going further into this political jungle.?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
So against EU advice, Spain is evicting Brits who have out stayed their welcome - why now and how big is this issue❓

For a country in desperate financial straits relying heavily on foreign income, I am surprised that Spain is sending such a strong message.

It will be interesting to see, once freedom of movement is restored, if countries in a similar situation (Greece, Portugal etc.) follow Spain’s lead.

I too am surprised that any British expats and longterm visitors didn’t take the precaution to apply for residency or that some of those who did were refused - wonder why❓

Must admit nearly all of the Brits I know have got residency so I wonder, how many haven’t and again why❓

Finally, wonder if the cruising community will be perused with such vigour❓

It so, it would empty marinas quickly and lead to a large exodus of Brit boats back to the U.K. Some are already going.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
I was aware of a lot of Brits living under the radar in Spain when we were in the EU. Most of those have applied for residency but a few still did not bother, lot's of reasons, one of them included tax. Some were living in a fantasy world where they thought that nothing would change. I did not apply for residency as I did not meet the criteria of staying at least 6 months in the country, other people I am sure had other reasons
Spain as an independent sovereign country can decide who they want to stay in their country within the general freedom of movement rules, as the UK is no longer in the EU, EU rules no longer apply to UK citizens. It does beggar belief that some British citizens seem to think things would just continue as before

Last edited:

Milestone

Visit site
So we asked the Guardia Civil on friday, and was told that anchoring is completely fine, so we're going for it. Very happy.

Reference that article, "Fellow returning expat Shaun Cromber voted Leave but said he did not believe Brexit would end his Spanish lifestyle " !

I think that says it all ?‍♂️

billskip

Visit site
I think the ones that are complaining are the ones that think rules are made for everybody else, it has been quite clear for some time, at least six months before the deadline, the necessary requirements to remain in Spain would have to be met.

Although I accept there are arguments on both sides as to brexit, all the arguments I have heard or read, especially on here, are of personal reasons of disruption as opposed to the good or bad for the country.

Like it or not,people are going to have to accept it.

PlanB

Visit site
I was aware of a lot of Brits living under the radar in Spain when we were in the EU. Most of those have applied for residency but a few still did not bother, lot's of reasons, one of them included tax. Some were living in a fantasy world where they thought that nothing would change. I did not apply for residency as I did not meet the criteria of staying at least 6 months in the country, other people I am sure had other reasons
Spain as an independent sovereign country can decide who they want to stay in their country within the general freedom of movement rules, as the UK is no longer in the EU, EU rules no longer apply to UK citizens. It does beggar belief that some British citizens seem to think things would just continue as before
I agree with all of that, but would also comment that each autonomous region of Spain imposes rules in its own way - sometimes this extends to provinces and municipalities. A few years back, some may remember the concerted effort in the Almerimar to extract matriculation tax from liveaboards. In Malaga province I think we had one cursory inspection, then they left us alone.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
@Milestone if I may make a suggestion if you can get it in writing that anchoring is allowed its best to do so.
What coming to light is some junior staff in patrol boats are making up rules as their go along and if you got nothing tomshow other wise you then have a problem .
I'm dealing with one such case at the moment .

Milestone

Visit site
@Milestone if I may make a suggestion if you can get it in writing that anchoring is allowed its best to do so.
What coming to light is some junior staff in patrol boats are making up rules as their go along and if you got nothing tomshow other wise you then have a problem .
I'm dealing with one such case at the moment .

Yes I think thats would be a wise idea, thank you

Star-Lord

Visit site
American / Swedish couple left N. Africa for Mallorca yesterday. All they needed was a PCR test before they left. So I believe.