Any liveaboards in London?

Will

Visit site
Strikes me as a reasonable alternative to renting a flat for a year or so, as I can't afford my nice mews house in Chelsea yet...
Does anybody do this? Live aboard within striking distance of the big smoke? And on a yacht, not a houseboat - I want to be able to disappear at the weekends! If so, where, how, why, is it a good idea etc...

tony_brighton

Visit site
Limited opportunities aren't there?
Chelsea probably very expensive.
St. Katharines doen't encourage liveaboards (last tme I checked when I wanted to move house and thought a year on the boat would save a fortune).
Limehouse Basin seems to offer some possibilities.

Do you class Chatham as London?

Giles

Visit site
My Dad's a livaboard in London. Not encouraged at all in all marinias in London. Esp St Kats. Even Limehouse and Gallions Point are not keen on Liveaboards and certainly discourage new ones. Costs around £150 excl a month (If I remember correctly)

Trevethan

Visit site
I looked into this when it appeared I would have to move up to London from Devon for about 6 months to cover a colleague's maternity leave.

Gallions, St Kats and others all officially disapprove of liveaboard. However off the record they said as long as you're discrete and disappear off for a couple or three days a week they turn a blind eye. (I was going to be coming home to Exeter for the weekends)

Places that do officially allow liveaboard (usually the canal basins) have a waiting list as long as your arm, and I was told I'd need an inland waterway safety certificate.

Marina moorings for the 38ft Miller Fifer I was considering buying worked out at about £200 -£300 per month plus electricity.

Gallions Point looked to offer the best value and has good transport links. And seemed the most easy going. St Kats the most expensive and "uptight"

I think you'll need a holding tank if you plan to use onboard heads etc (not sure though)

Regards,

Nick

PS In the end teh maternity cover didn't go through (company not willing to fund additional costs of living in London) so I am still down here.

dom

Visit site
There are plenty of folk living aboard on the Medway, within hour drive of London

G

Hi

As per the previous replys live abourd is NOT ALLOWED in the London Marinas, due to council regulations.

However, I lived aboard my Fairline Squadron cruising betweem St Kaths, Chelsea Marina, Chiswick Pier, Belgium, France...... for a year with absolutely no problems.

In fact there is quite a little community doing this once you get to know them.

If you want more specifics then email me at mail@cinquanta.freeserve.co.uk

Regards

Steve