Any insurance recommendations (NOT Y Insurance)

Simi

Visit site
Try Assist insurance services seem to be a good broker have had no probs only had increases when increased size and value of the boat

Wavey

Visit site
I haven’t seen anyone mention Navigators & General, recommended by the Broom Owners Club (the marque I’ve just sold) and Haines Marine (who are currently building the replacement). Anybody have experience of N&G?

My Broom sold the day before renewal with Y so with the new boat due for delivery in December I’m looking to trawl the market for the best package at the best price.

Simi

Visit site
Freinds of mine had a problem with lobster pot line Nav And General were the insurer sorted and paid within 4 weeks

Forty_Two

Visit site
I haven’t seen anyone mention Navigators & General, recommended by the Broom Owners Club (the marque I’ve just sold) and Haines Marine (who are currently building the replacement). Anybody have experience of N&G?
I've been with them for at least 22 years, well that's my no claims bonus period, probably longer. It's through Fastnet Marine Insurance in Southampton. Good broker.

Increase this year about 9% but none for the last couple of years. This is the first sizeable increase I can remember so quite happy with that as it seems to be happening for many folks.

I have a defined sum insured on my 50 year old wooden GB42. They have just clarified the notification re changes clause for me & it's perfectly sensible what they require. They also improved the old corrosion clause that people didn't like a couple of years ago.

Fortunately I have no claims experience. Rate is 0.8%

Wavey

Visit site
Thanks for the info. I remember my dad always insured his boats with N&G but that was 40 years ago ?.

I also noticed the new corrosion clause which is a positive change. Definitely put N&G on my short list.

jon and michie

Visit site
Hi Jez - Hope your'e keeping well
is there any updates on this thread - I am sure you are going to miss Barry's letter from Y Yatch

superheat6k

Visit site
Is that the letter that states an average 5% increase, when everyone who reports on here has at least a 20% increase, in many cases on top of a prior year 20% increase ? He can stuff his letter. Whereas when he started out on his own and was keen for everyone's business, all raved about him, now he is established we can all go hang. I for one will not be returning.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Is that the letter that states an average 5% increase, when everyone who reports on here has at least a 20% increase, in many cases on top of a prior year 20% increase ? He can stuff his letter. Whereas when he started out on his own and was keen for everyone's business, all raved about him, now he is established we can all go hang. I for one will not be returning.
Oh dear, bit nasty ..... I also had the Y letter stating 5% increase ... when we worked it out it was actually about 7.5%, much the same as last year. I don't know where this 20% increase this year and last year came from. Is it a forum myth or exaggeration or has anyone actually had these increase demands? I've tried getting some other quotes - a French one quoted £300 more than Y and 2 UK ones said they couldn't insure a French registered boat! Y have insured 3 French registered boats for me to date with no problems. I'll keep checking others anyway, just in case!

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Oh dear, bit nasty ..... I also had the Y letter stating 5% increase ... when we worked it out it was actually about 7.5%, much the same as last year. I don't know where this 20% increase this year and last year came from. Is it a forum myth or exaggeration or has anyone actually had these increase demands? I've tried getting some other quotes - a French one quoted £300 more than Y and 2 UK ones said they couldn't insure a French registered boat! Y have insured 3 French registered boats for me to date with no problems. I'll keep checking others anyway, just in case!
The main increases was for yachts specifically sailing the eastern Med, and it was the result of 2 years of underwriting losses as a result mainly of Lightning strikes.

Before condemning Barry is such a way, note that he has a policy which is good and fair with an agreed value and sensible corrosion clause - which as people keep referring to N&G must have led change to their ridiculous clause plus also the Agreed Value clause they had which also said they could replace with any "similar Boat" . I left them to go to Y Yachts. Before people are lulled it a false sense of security - when a small claim is paid with out bother - do not expect the same treatment from any insurer when you are facing a total loss of constructive total loss - no more smoothe sales talk you had originally - now its business.

On constructive loss it is misleading the insure only for the Market value, when for instance the loss of a complete rig and related hull damage may exceed the market value. If thats what you insured for then, you will have either to walk away or dip in to your own funds to add to the funds for a complete repair.... This is usual insurance practice - its called under insurance - you need to take these things like all the extra you have spent converting to a long term cruising boat, which wont necessary reflect in the market value as that changes according to the market and not your repair costs!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
My increase last November with Y was in excess of 20%. No claims made in over 30 years.

terranova

Visit site

I had an increase of around 14% last year and they tried for another 24% this year (no claims in either year ). This reduced to an 11% increase this year when challenged.

I don’t get the feeling that they are acting as a broker should in scouring the market to find the most suitable / best value policy.
My renewal isn’t due for a few weeks so am looking for another quote.
It’s interesting to learn about N&G’s policy terms as they are one of the underwriters I was considering.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Me too, Just received the letter claiming about 5%.
Actual increase 20%... & i'm not in the Med or Caribbean and I don't race.
Not impressed!
My quote came through today, 15% on top of the 20+% last year. Plymouth based, no claims for 39+ years. I told them I was now marina based at the beginning of the year, they conveniently forgot to offer me the 10% marina discount until I reminded them. Not overly impressed. I will be shopping around.

dune16

www.noforeignland.com
I got my renewal through from Topsail (Y policy) and decided to shop around. I either stay with Topsail or I have a cheaper quote from Pantaenius and even cheaper quote from Craftinsure. Initial glance over the policies doesnt show them being too different so I'm tempted to go with the cheaper option. People with craftinsure (underwritten by Zurich), are you happy? Boat is in Spain. Thanks

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I got my renewal through from Topsail (Y policy) and decided to shop around. I either stay with Topsail or I have a cheaper quote from Pantaenius and even cheaper quote from Craftinsure. Initial glance over the policies doesnt show them being too different so I'm tempted to go with the cheaper option. People with craftinsure (underwritten by Zurich), are you happy? Boat is in Spain. Thanks
Anything written by Zurich is the Nav and Gen contract. Just take note that this supposed "Agreed Value" insurance - is not - its more of a market value policy - they say that they can also replace a written off yacht with "any similar boat". They of course say that this is to give them a get out from a very overvalued "agreed Value". However, in my mind this is a disgraceful wording - and it really is down to them to do the proper underwriting of a boat - which mean understanding it svalue, and why cruisning people will always palce a much higher value: Viz - Added arch and solar panels, Black water tanks Extra Batteries 100m Chain, replace fridge totally if a Westerly - Thats £5-6K if you get some one else to fit that fridge and all the other equipment you added. I would also argue that Market Value - an extreme uncertainty - is in many cases under insuring - you just need to take the simple example of the loss if the whole rig on an Oceanlord for instance - complete will all sails and running rigging.

I have just been through the process of changing my Y yachts insurance. Nav and General were not happy to agree a value of £77K, they reckoned Market value was 60K. Ah - so out of their own mouth they are condemned. Even with westerly discount it came out at £690 on 77K. I then went to talk to Helen Webster ex of Y yachts - having got GJW to quote as well -£ 720, She wanted to put me with Zurich - but understood why I wont go that route. She came up with a new quote from Amlin for £90K value (yes - I think it might be over insured at that) at £672. All require a new Survey - last one 2007, but thats no bad thing.
So ask her to sharpen her pencil a bit - the Amlin contract is better than most.

I know very little about Pants except its a brokerage and when I was insured with a 15 year old yachts, I didnt like the Rig element of the cover, which said they would apply betterment to a new rig/mast based on their view of the likely lifetime of a mast. Problem was they would give no indication at all as to their view of what that was..... Thats a no no IMHO!