Any insurance recommendations (NOT Y Insurance)

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Been with Y for 5 years.

20% increase last year, 22% this year. No claims. Had enough

Anyone got anyone else to try?
I cannot believe this is happening, when Y set up the owner got a lot of referrals on this forum , now the fees are ballistic .

i cannot understand why if you pardon the pun .

I have found over the last 5 years never to renew with your current insurer as it is cheaper to shop around , all agents give better deals to new business , it should not be like that , loyalty counts for nothing these days .

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I cannot believe this is happening, when Y set up the owner got a lot of referrals on this forum , now the fees are ballistic .

I have found over the last 5 years never to renew with your current insurer as it is cheaper to shop around , all agents give better deals to new business , it should not be like that , loyalty counts for nothing these days .
I’ve been with Y for quite a few years, if the premium goes up by more than 10% this year I’ll be looking to move. My son and I both moved from river Dart trot moorings to a Plymouth Marina this year, he was given a 10% discount, we were given nothing. Work that one out. And I’ve not had a claim in over 30 years.

BruceK

Visit site

They rely on automatic renewals and the general apathy and laziness of most people to shop around, and by and large it works. Then of course their is the commission incentive to generate new business by the brokers.

Portofino

Visit site
Is there a marine / leisure boat price comparison site ......like go compare for cars ?

I think there are only a handful of leisure marine underwriters , thats the problem .Who are down so to speak at the moment, with losses .Obviously most years they are up , but the last few have been some heavy payouts .Rebalancing the books by those still in it .

Tiny market compared to motor , which has hundreds of players not a handful.

Make sure the policy covers what you want .
Ie one of the Colemans underwriten by Amlin can have stuff like , paintings , safe contents , crew not turning up , hijacking , fire arms , along with the essential basic stuff .
Worth trying to delete that or your broker guiding you towards something more fitting .

eg we have Vet bills , a few €k cos we boat with a dog ,
Dont be afraid to ask for stuff you desire and delete stuff not applicable.

If theres anything ambiguous....seek clarification imho .This seeking clarity has been a moot point here in the past.

They ( the handful of underwriters) do evolve there policies too .
So last year it may Amlin , this year Zurich based etc etc .So you cant categorically say X is better than Y because it was 12 months ago .

Whitelighter

Visit site

What is worse is they tried to claim they'd only put the price up by 5% in their original letter

Hurricane

Visit site
You have got to be sure that you are getting "like for like" and insurance in general has been rising.
In my experience Y is still competitive but my renewal ins't due until next year now.

julians

Visit site
I recently had my renewal through from Y, it had gone up by about 10%. I've had a few quotes from other firms and Y's is not loads higher than most but it is the most expensive. Its a market so they'll adjust prices as they see fit as people move to other firms and vice versa.

Havent decided what to do with my policy yet....

chrisharris

Visit site
I went with Y again this year, despite another increase, I did shop around but found others were similar if not more expensive, and would require a new survey. I did go round the loop with Y, the only way to reduce the premium was to reduce the sum assured. It did not make much difference increasing excess or reducing cruising area to just south coast......

rafiki_

Visit site
I have been with Trafford’s for 6 years. While there has been some increase in premium over the years, it has been minimal. However, I have never made a claim with them, and hence cannot comment on their service and care. You only need insurance when you need to make a claim.

Sneds

Visit site
Been with Traffords for ever, around 20 years
One claim, sorted without drama

Never found cheaper comparable when I have compared

bluetooth

Visit site
Been with Traffords for ever, around 20 years
One claim, sorted without drama

Never found cheaper comparable when I have compared

I had been with them on and off 10 years. Had to make a big claim in 2018 and whilst they paid I had to put a lot of man hours in when I shouldn't have. One of our parish checked the small print and wasn't impressed. I'm with Y now though my premium went up last October it wasnt a deal breaker.
I'll be checking carefully this year.