Any info on Pacesetter Yachts (specifically pacesetter 28 )

Davespacesetter

Visit site
I designed and built this boat, taking me over 5 years. I first launched it in 1986 and named it Devil`s Dream. I used it extensively in the Irish Sea, sailing to both N. Ireland and the republic, N. Wales, Scotland and nany trips ti the IOM. I constructed the split-pattern bilge keels in plywood and they were cast by Henry Irons foundry in Cornwall. They weigh 560kg each. Still have the construction drawings.I can confirm that it is a very capable craft and has got me through more than one full gale.

Davespacesetter

Visit site
You are correct that 3 were built, mine and one with a lifting keel at Terry Rawlinson`s barn at Stank and the third with the same bilge keels at a farm in Scales. Yes, all the resin and glassfibre were purchaced from Glasplies at Souport before it went up-market. Mast, rigging and boom from Bowman Boats. I think the other bilge keel one is at Dickies in N. Ireland. I do have loads of pics in my archives.

Davespacesetter

Visit site
Checked my records and it was first launched off the RIBC slip at the end of April 1987, not 1986. Bert Jackson Jnr. surveyed it and gave it a really good report.
Extra info:- All laminated with 2 layers of csm, 3/8" end-grain balsa sandwich and 2 inner layers of csm. This gave a stiff and light structure. Exra glass & resin of course at stress areas. The bilge stringers are 14ft long, epoxy laminated with 3 layers of 3/8"marine ply, through bulkheads to effectively support the keels. I can supply more info about the keel attachment bolts and still have some spares. You can contact me on Preston 914042.

Davespacesetter

Visit site
I have just brought the lifting keel version for very little as a project . How do they sail ? and did u find out much about the keel bolts ? There is very little info out here so anything would be useful tbh
I only know of one of these yachts which was built with a lifting keel. If it is that one from Barrow-in-Furness, the keel arrangement failed and it sunk in Walney channel. It may have been strengthened since and no longer a problem.

tyce

Visit site
As a member of RIBC, it really does amaze me the experience, knowledge, skills and history of its members over the years, some incredible talent from boat builders, designers, sailmakers etc all from such a small club. Love hearing this sort of stuff. Back to subject was there not a Pacesetter called Two Shoes, there was a couple living on it in Glasson for a while and then it found its way back to Barrow.

Wave digger

Visit site
I only know of one of these yachts which was built with a lifting keel. If it is that one from Barrow-in-Furness, the keel arrangement failed and it sunk in Walney channel. It may have been strengthened since and no longer a problem.
Ah that fills me with confidence 😂 in all fairness I have a very extensive history of the boat and mine was built in Liverpool in 1985 was sailing in Liverpool sailing club till 2001 and then was restored after the first owner sadly passed way and brought over to the Isle of Man . It then had the same owner for 10 years who seemed to look after it and then it has sat in peel harbour for the last 14 years untouched.I don’t think it was this one that sank

Wave digger

Visit site
Ah that fills me with confidence 😂 in all fairness I have a very extensive history of the boat and mine was built in Liverpool in 1985 was sailing in Liverpool sailing club till 2001 and then was restored after the first owner sadly passed way and brought over to the Isle of Man . It then had the same owner for 10 years who seemed to look after it and then it has sat in peel harbour for the last 14 years untouched.I don’t think it was this one that sank
Also some pictures of my project boat ameera

Attachments

• 939BE1DA-97B5-457E-942F-BEADE03C8902.jpeg
    939BE1DA-97B5-457E-942F-BEADE03C8902.jpeg
    483.6 KB · Views: 12

Leylanddave

Visit site
Definitely not the one from Barrow which was called JONMELHAY, abbreviated from his kids names.
I built mine with deep bilge keels and it was named Devil's Dream, renamed after I sold it to Mischief Maker. It is berthed in RIBC at Barrow-in-Furness and is still in great condition and has recently had a positive marine survey. I sailed it into Peel, IOM, several times and have fond memories of my visits.
Hope you get Ameera restored and sailing again soon.

Wave digger

Visit site
Definitely not the one from Barrow which was called JONMELHAY, abbreviated from his kids names.
I built mine with deep bilge keels and it was named Devil's Dream, renamed after I sold it to Mischief Maker. It is berthed in RIBC at Barrow-in-Furness and is still in great condition and has recently had a positive marine survey. I sailed it into Peel, IOM, several times and have fond memories of my visits.
Hope you get Ameera restored and sailing again soon.
Thankyou very much ! I think this year is a write of but am hopeful that by this time next year I should be ready to go back in the water. How well do they sail ? And what force would u say they’re comfortable in ?

Leylanddave

Visit site
Thankyou very much ! I think this year is a write of but am hopeful that by this time next year I should be ready to go back in the water. How well do they sail ? And what force would u say they’re comfortable in ?
Sorry, just noticed your response. Mine sailed very well and survived a F8 gusting F10 from Chicken Rock to Barrow. Running with just a small sinstalled Anything up to a F6 it coped well with ease, but it all depends on the designed balance of the boat, the sail choice and competance of thecrewm.
The original drawings were for a fractional rig and fin keel, making them competative and they used to race in Holyhead.
The cockpit drains which I installed, discharging to the transom were very effective and I consider necessary.
One of my worst experiences was in Peel harbour, tied to the quayside with a westerley gale generating huge swells into the basin. Mooring ropes chafed and a trawler crew decided to move my boat, thinking they owned the place. The knots they used for the mooring lines were pathetic and I was lucky not to have had damage. Rant over.