Antifouling

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Portishead Marina will arrange lift out into their yard. Dont expect it will be cheap. Make sure you chose good weather week as needs warmish. Just touched up my rudder and it dripped due to unseasonal cold and overcast - should have waited a day but hey its only the rudder.

Wales out of bounds mostly, Watchet apparently closed , and I have no idea about Ilfracombe. Maybe some yards with cranes Appledore way

rgsmg53

Visit site
+1 for Portishead.

Straddle carrier lift out so no need to unstep mast. Yard is generally good although large puddles can appear after rainfall. From memory, lift-in /lift-outs are usually charged out by the week but cradle / prop hire is extra (although not unreasonable). I'd give you the rates per metre but Dean & Readyhof in their infinite wisdom have omitted them from the latest handbook - which, sadly, is a shadow of its former self.

Give the manager Ian Lidstone a ring at the marina. He's a good chap in my opinion.

If you need help with applying your Coppercoat then get hold of Andy Steggles who is very flexible and does a very good job. Personally, I'd steer clear of other more prominent contractors in the area.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Cost is a consideration!

I have asked the Lydney Yacht Club if I can use their slip. If I do the tidal sums correctly (mindful of becoming neaped which would be rather unpopular!) I should be able to find time to do the whole job maybe working upwards from the keel bottoms.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
you need as many coats as needed to use up all the copper epoxy mixes. Minimum of two if mix thick and thix application better so assume 3 or more. My rudder repair needed 3 for mere patchup. So weeks warm days, and its water
based epoxy if I recall so you must make sure its set before tide comes in.

I have done antifoul between tides at Emsworth and at Uphill/Weston S M but Coppercoat is meant to last 15 years so worth applying better. Good luck

Snoopy463

Visit site
What about preparation? When I Coppercoated last year, it took me man weeks to get back down to gelcoat, then two man days for Gelshield and keel preparation and one day for five coats of Coppercoat. Can’t imagine doing that on a slip between tides.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
What about preparation? When I Coppercoated last year, it took me man weeks to get back down to gelcoat, then two man days for Gelshield and keel preparation and one day for five coats of Coppercoat. Can’t imagine doing that on a slip between tides.
Well the good news is she has never previously been anti fouled (although she has some weed growth).

The second bit of good news is that it doesn't have to happen between tides. I took a photograph of high water neaps at the bottom of the Lydney YC slip and it hardly wetted the concrete. Thus, the sums are important. The big constraint is the danger of becoming neaped. I reckon if we "land" two or three days after high water springs, we should have time to do the washing off, the sanding and the coating before she lifts off again.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
you need as many coats as needed to use up all the copper epoxy mixes. Minimum of two if mix thick and thix application better so assume 3 or more. My rudder repair needed 3 for mere patchup. So weeks warm days, and its water
based epoxy if I recall so you must make sure its set before tide comes in.

I have done antifoul between tides at Emsworth and at Uphill/Weston S M but Coppercoat is meant to last 15 years so worth applying better. Good luck
I was recommended five coats! Coppercoat have provided the estimate as yhry know the boat class.

See below for the tidal considerations. The joy of the Bristol Channel!

Sandy

Visit site
I have decided to Coppercoat and need around a week out of the water.

I would prefer not to have to unstep the mast.

Where can forumites recommend in the Bristol Channel.
If you have time can I recommend more than a week out of the water.

I had the boat done at Mylor last summer. They do it in a shed so the mast was stepped and outwith your geographical area.

Once blasted back she was washed and left to dry, then Coppercoat applied by spraying (it gives a smoother finish) and then left for a week to cure before going back in the water. I am convinced that the curing time is important.