Anti Torsion Ropes

Dave100456

Visit site
I have/had 3 furling assymetiric sails.
I'm finding that the Code 0 furls a little harder than when it was new, however, my fuller cut top down furling Assymetic is getting much more difficult to bring in. It may be that I'm using it in stronger winds but I think not.

So I'm wondering if the Anti torsion ropes loose torsional stiffness as they age and are used as I have to pull a fair length of the endless line in before it turns at the top. The top swivel and bottom furler are working freely.

Any thoughts?

yoda

Visit site
I have/had 3 furling assymetiric sails.
I'm finding that the Code 0 furls a little harder than when it was new, however, my fuller cut top down furling Assymetic is getting much more difficult to bring in. It may be that I'm using it in stronger winds but I think not.

So I'm wondering if the Anti torsion ropes loose torsional stiffness as they age and are used as I have to pull a fair length of the endless line in before it turns at the top. The top swivel and bottom furler are working freely.

Any thoughts?
Are you sure the halyard isn't twisting? I was reading the Selden Web site and noticed that they now recommend a 'long pin' shackle at the top if not using a high quality dynema halyard or 2:1 halyard. I made a simple long pin from a piece of stainless bar and it works a treat.

Yoda

Dave100456

Visit site
Are you sure the halyard isn't twisting? I was reading the Selden Web site and noticed that they now recommend a 'long pin' shackle at the top if not using a high quality dynema halyard or 2:1 halyard. I made a simple long pin from a piece of stainless bar and it works a treat.

Yoda
Ah ! thats a good point. Thanks
I will look to see though it can't be easy to tell if the halyard is twisting as there's only a few inches of halyard visible above the top swivel.

I had sensed that the anti torsion rope (but it could be the halyard now you mention it) was absorbing the turns I was applying until all of a sudden the sail would furl a few turns and then I'd have to do more turning of the torsion rope before it furled again.

Certainly I'm experiencing some "torsional lag/delay" between me using the furling line and and sail being taken in.

Looked for the Selden advice you mention but can't find it, do you have a link ps? Thanks

Last edited:
www.highwatersails.com
Torsion ropes can degrade over time, there are a variety of brands and quality out there, and deffinatley the ropes from the past few years are much improved from ropes from 7/8 years ago when they were first becoming mainstream items. Another thing to be consious of is the size of rope you are using for the application, it's not uncommon for the torsion rope to be under speced for the application and thus degrade more quickly.

yoda

Visit site
Ah ! thats a good point. Thanks
I will look to see though it can't be easy to tell if the halyard is twisting as there's only a few inches of halyard visible above the top swivel.

I had sensed that the anti torsion rope (but it could be the halyard now you mention it) was absorbing the turns I was applying until all of a sudden the sail would furl a few turns and then I'd have to do more turning of the torsion rope before it furled again.

Certainly I'm experiencing some "torsional lag/delay" between me using the furling line and and sail being taken in.

Looked for the Selden advice you mention but can't find it, do you have a link ps? Thanks

Very end of the last page here:
https://support.seldenmast.com/files/1454492313/597-200-E.pdf

Yoda

2copplane

Visit site
Could the top swivel be sticking a bit? While my top swivel feels great when spun by hand I wonder whether it is jamming under the high loads required for furling. My issue is it’s hard work to furl and also unfurl and didn’t used to be.
That said I’m using a high load climbing swivel and not a proper job, when I’ve chance I will replace and see if that resolves.

Dave100456

Visit site
Could the top swivel be sticking a bit? While my top swivel feels great when spun by hand I wonder whether it is jamming under the high loads required for furling. My issue is it’s hard work to furl and also unfurl and didn’t used to be.
That said I’m using a high load climbing swivel and not a proper job, when I’ve chance I will replace and see if that resolves.
The swivel was my first thought and yet when tested on deck feels smooth and “frictionless”. However as you say I have not tested it under load.