Another Thames Question.

alruss

Visit site
Both correct, the other 104 viewers now know. Perhaps now I will be able to stand on my boat moored between Putney bridge and Wandsworth bridge. The wash from some boats is enough to rip chunks out of the pontoon with my tank vents.
Not rowers or canal barges causing this problem. I will probably use this forum to name and shame if others have no options.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Take the names of boats, time and date of incident and publish. If you have taken a decent photo display it here. Even if they don't read this Forum someone here will know them and tell them they are spotted. If this is a constant thing report it to PLA. Problem is that 99% of the boats coming down have been speed restricted and they just cannot wait to open up.

Chris_d

Visit site
If you think boats are exceeding 8knts then report them, however they might make a lot of wash if only doing 8knts punching the tide, whereas going with it will make hardly any wash at all. Having been in the position of having to punch the tide to make a lock opening time in London, I know some poeple must be tempted to open it up if running late, however not an excuse.
Have to say though the tideway is not a very good place to moor a boat if your worried about wash, even seen the PLA patrol making a horrific wash above Wandsworth.

chuckaduck

www.coolphotographic.com
[ QUOTE ]
Have to say though the tideway is not a very good place to moor a boat if your worried about wash, even seen the PLA patrol making a horrific wash above Wandsworth.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thames can get very choppy and even a small wash can create havoc with moorings if you moor on the thames in this reach it is something that you have to live with

alruss

Visit site
I know that being where I am I will have to put up with wash but surely only reasonable
levels. Boats doing 8kn. with excessive wash are still going to fast. Wash governs speed on all of the Thames. Wash that shows me my propellers when I am standing on the pontoon is not acceptable anywhere. I must admit some of the worst culprits are commercial vessels. John Harriot being no1 Cockney Sparrow no2. Sparrow often on the wrong side of the river and too fast. London V T S phoned on several occasions. I hate
to think what happens when ther is no one on the pontoon.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Cockney Sparrow certainly ignores the rules, he also plays games that could prove dangerous for others. On one occasion he was coming downstream at full pelt about an hour after low water on the wrong side of the river, he made a blatant attempt to force me to alter course which would have put me aground on the shallows off Fulham FC. I steadfastly maintained course and called Woolwich to advise them. He instantly veered over to the Putney bank.

Chris_d

Visit site
Didn't know what the Cockney sparrow was but I do now, have had fun with him as well.
I was passing a slow moving narrow boat on the way up to Teddington in August. I was doing about 5/6kts, so a bit too fast already but mainly because the sparrow was behind me and obviously impatient to come through, another boat appeared around the bend as we are passing Eil Pie island, the channel is fairly narrow, so I backed off to make room rather than try and force all 3 boats to go abreast, the sparrow jusy opened up and went through middle of all us /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Of course less than 5 minutes later he reached the lock turned around and went back.
Certainly its one rule for commercial boats and another for liesure boats down that part of the river.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
>>>
Certainly its one rule for commercial boats and another for liesure boats down that part of the river.
>>>

See under "timetable" and "schedule". But yes, no real excuse for it, they can read a tide table and depth gauge as well as we can and work out when there is no room to press on. I would expect, were I a commercial skipper, a leisure boat to get out of my way subject to ColRegs etc and I do, as a leisure boater, try to follow that expectation.

alistairedw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right. All of the tripper boats exceed the speed limit most of the time.

Sailing a dinghy when these guys are around can be quite hairy. The only exception is the relatively small Merry Thames. The skipper of Merry Thames anticipates when dinghies will need to tack and adjusts his course accordingly.

Some of the big tripper boats simply barge through our dinghy racing fleet at Twickenham.

They may claim to be constrained by draught within the narrow channel, but that does not excuse steaming within inches of dinghies at 8 to 10 knots.

I have considered videoing them from the shore and sending the evidence to the PLA but I suspect that absolutely nothing would be done.

alruss

Visit site
I will be on the pontoon this Sunday, armed with bins and note book so be warned,
both commercial and pleasure boats with names. I will also try to get identifyable
markings from speed boats and ribs.

alruss

Visit site
As a matter of interest, during the great river race, I was onboard my boat on her mooring. I had to ask several ribs that were very close to the pontoon to slow down because of their wash, all complied, except one, a safety boat for the race said no. He was close enough to talk to, too close for the wash he was creating.