Another anchor question

Yealm

Visit site
My current configuration is a pain to pull up (manual windless).
I looked on the manufacturer's website and the boat (Contessa 32) comes standard with a 25 lb anchor, 10m 8mm chain and 30m warp.
I think I've currently got more like 30-50m chain.
If I went for the standard configuration - would this be enough for lunchtime anchoring and the odd night, in sheltered, benign Summer conditions ?

James_Calvert

Visit site
Have you tried not using the windlass?

They can be very slow.

The problem with chain is it gets heavier to pull up the deeper the water. So the depths you anchor in make a big difference.

In answer to your question, yes probably fine but I wouldn't want you anchored near me because you'd range about in the wind.

zoidberg

Visit site
.....would this be enough....

Yes.

I'd want a longer warp, for some places, but that's easily added.

I have found, as have many, that it's not the weight of the anchor that determines its suitability for the job, but how much substrate it grabs..... and how effectively. A watchful eye on these columns will show there's no one anchor that's optimum for all types of seabed, and one must make a choice. I have chosen to have Fortress Fx-16 anchors, for the large majority of places I expect to anchor will be well suited to that hook's considerable competences. It's also significantly lighter than 25lb.

However, the anchor you have will probably continue to do the job for you, as it always has.

And, of course, long experience tells me there will soon be a long chain of contributors with better ideas..... :)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I looked on the manufacturer's website and the boat (Contessa 32) comes standard with a 25 lb anchor, 10m 8mm chain and 30m warp.
If I went for the standard configuration - would this be enough for lunchtime anchoring and the odd night, in sheltered, benign Summer conditions ?
It entirely depends upon what depths and substrates you are anchoring in which is why you will get opposite opinions.

If you were anchoring in Greece the general answer would be yes, if you were anchoring in Croatia the general answer would be no, if you were anchoring in the Caribbean the general answer would be maybe. :)

Richard

Yealm

Visit site
It entirely depends upon what depths and substrates you are anchoring in which is why you will get opposite opinions.

If you were anchoring in Greece the general answer would be yes, if you were anchoring in Croatia the general answer would be no, if you were anchoring in the Caribbean the general answer would be maybe. :)

Richard

Southwest UK..
5m-10m I guess
Sand, mud..
<10 knots wind

D

Deleted member 36384

I used to sail on a yacht regualarly, anchoring frequently, West Coast of Scotland, that had 10m chain and a lot of warp. I never had an issue with the set up beyond a large swinging angle. Typical depths were 5m up to 20m depth.

On my own boat, I changed out a 60lb CQR for a 39lb Knox, so called new generation anchor. It made a huge difference, so consider a new anchor.

noelex

Visit site

A 25lb steel anchor is really too small for a 32 foot boat anchoring overnight. However, I gather your primary question is about the chain length.

Reducing your chain length from 30-50m to 10m, the major impact is on the reduction in chafe resistance of the rode. In some locations, particularly those with patches of rock and coral, the risk is significant. If you reduce your chain length to 10m you would be sensible to completely avoid these anchorages. That may not be a problem, depending on your intended cruising locations.

However, even in areas that are thought to be free from these hazards, there is sometimes unfortunately debris (usually man made rubbish), old moorings etc that can be quite abrasive to rope rode. I have also seen isolated rock outcrops in unexpected places. In many locations the risk is small and choosing to accept this small risk is reasonable, especially if you only anchor overnight occasionally in well known locations.

There are some other effects that occur with the change. There will be some loss in anchor performance. How much is a hotly debated topic, but this can be compensated with a slight increase in anchor performance (a better design) or anchor size. You will also swing differently to boats using an all chain rode. This is only an issue in more crowded anchorages, but can be an annoying problem in some areas.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
We took our S&S original of the Contessa round the Atlantic circuit with a Plastimo copy of a 25lbs CQR on 15m of 8mm chain and 3 strand nylon warp.

Anchored over 400 nights in everything up to 50 knots (plus being side swiped by Hurricane Hugo) and never had any concerns about it holding.

Stemar

Visit site
From research I did a good few years ago, the main argument in favour of an all chain rode is around coral or other sharp rocks, where rope is likely to suffer. 10-15m of chain and all the rope you can afford is what I'd go for. If things really kick up, I'd far rather have 100m of rope out in 10m of water than 30m of chain

People get hot under the collar about catenary and the need for weight, but the physics shows that, when you really want the catenary for shock absorption, the chain's pulled straight, just like a mixed or all rope rode, and having a bit of string in there provides the elasticity you want. Better yet, with a lighter rode, it's easy to put plenty out there. If it's too heavy, there's a temptation to put out less than might be ideal because of the trouble getting it back in.

As for anchor size, while I'm a great fan of the bigger the better, Jimmy Green's sizing table for the Delta suggests that 6kg would be adequate and 10kg plenty for a 32, and I reckon a Contessa would get away with a good bit less than plenty of modern designs with huge freeboard and windage.

dom

Visit site
From research I did a good few years ago, the main argument in favour of an all chain rode is around coral or other sharp rocks, where rope is likely to suffer. 10-15m of chain and all the rope you can afford is what I'd go for. If things really kick up, I'd far rather have 100m of rope out in 10m of water than 30m of chain

People get hot under the collar about catenary and the need for weight, but the physics shows that, when you really want the catenary for shock absorption, the chain's pulled straight, just like a mixed or all rope rode, and having a bit of string in there provides the elasticity you want. Better yet, with a lighter rode, it's easy to put plenty out there. If it's too heavy, there's a temptation to put out less than might be ideal because of the trouble getting it back in.

As for anchor size, while I'm a great fan of the bigger the better, Jimmy Green's sizing table for the Delta suggests that 6kg would be adequate and 10kg plenty for a 32, and I reckon a Contessa would get away with a good bit less than plenty of modern designs with huge freeboard and windage.

Thoroughly sensible, scientifically based advice on an anchor thread!! Now where is that report button :)

In terms of practicality and safety, however (y)(y)

Yealm

Visit site
Thankyou so much for all the amazing advice :)
Supplementary question....
If, with Covid restrictions, I'm anchoring single handed, are there any tips, where really it's a two man job, one on the throttle and the other at the bow !

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We took our S&S original of the Contessa round the Atlantic circuit with a Plastimo copy of a 25lbs CQR on 15m of 8mm chain and 3 strand nylon warp.

Anchored over 400 nights in everything up to 50 knots (plus being side swiped by Hurricane Hugo) and never had any concerns about it holding.

If one reads posts #10 and 11 you can see why those who ask for advice get confused.

Noelex states autoritively that the advised set up is NBG while motor sailer states, after genuine experience it is fine.

In the OP's position I would buy an electric windlass.

Our Kiwi boat has 30 metres of 8mm chain, 100 metres three strand nylon and a 20 kilo delta. No windlass.

It is bloody hard work!

But it holds very well in Wellington Harbour. The windiest city in the world.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site

I have the book by an early delivery skipper "All Weather Yachtsman"

He relates a time when anchored near Gibraltar in a Levanter with constant high winds and gusts of over 100 MPH with all chain - 3/8th inch IIRC - that when it was time to leave the chain would not fit the gypsy.

Every link had stretched and the galvanising had flaked off.

That's pressure on the anchoring gear!

ibbo

Visit site
When anchoring single handed, if you feed the anchor down with some way on, allow it to run free to settle the anchor on the bottom, then snub it as you get to the required lenght of rode, the inertia of your boat will snug the anchor in nicely.
The boat will come to a halt showing you are stuck.
You may or may not reverse to dig it harder in, depending how long you're staying.

Mark-1

Visit site

For lunchtime anchoring in a 21 footer I adopt a feather-light approach. A 2kg Bruce and 50m of mm nylon line with no chain. (Yes. two kg; the weight of a bottle of coke.) I've been using it for 3 or 4 years now and it's deployed every time I anchor and don't intend to sleep. I anchor pretty much every time I use the boat so it's had a lot of use. (My son who's just turned four deployed it on Friday!)

So in your case I'd certainly consider feather-light lunch tackle and see how it goes. Keep all that lovely chain for overnighters and bad weather. I never looked back and I doubt you will.

Over-specced main anchor and under specced lunchhook strikes me as the perfect combination.

(In fact, haven't you already got a kedge? If so just use that with very light cable and away you go at zero cost.)

(Full disclosure: The drawback of 100pc nylon is it doesn't sink fast which can be awkward - you could weight it a bit to deal with that.)

Last edited:

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The OP could have lighter anchor for ocassional short stops. Our 31ft Westerly uses a 7.5 kg Bruce (16.5lb) and holds fine but I had 11.9kg(25lb) Supreme for bad weather anchoring and was glad enough of it when F8 blew over our heads. Buts its a faff changing anchors and not to be done once weather has already blown up.

If using two anchors consider light one on chain and warp, but keep heavier one on chain. But then you have storage issue up forard or dragging it along from stern