And I look down on him..

G

An interesting pecking order is emerging. Last year I suggested an order based upon type of boat and experience. I had completely overlooked rowers, who judging by the rather amusing thread on the powerboat forum, are the lowest of the low. So the new revised order is:

1. Wooden, pre Ark
2. Wooden, other
3, Classic plastic
4. Plastic, other
5. Wooden motorboat
6. Motorboat, other
7. Rower
8. Jetski (there hasn't been a rant about those for a while)

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

G

Chris -- what about Multihulls, Carbon fibre racers, Concrete cruisers, Steel Liveaboards, Motor-sailors, planning v displacement stinkboats, ship rigs, junk rigs, aero rigs, dinghies ( racing and cruising) , canoes, ribs, converted lifeboats ............. and my favourite lowest of the low - fishing dories.
Little bit more work to do I'm afraid .............

G

Re: But they look up to...

Your list is good, but enthusiast-focussed. Which is entorely reasonable hereabouts. But for the general public there is a more exhaustive list. This is unconcious of "sail.v.power", a concept unknown to anyone without a boat (which probably includes the Sailing Minister, if there was one, since I hear the Transport Secretary can't drive a car and the Minister of sport know 0 about his subject too)

1. Boats equipped with guns and aeroplanes
2. Boats with guns
3 Boats in IYC Antibes or St Tropez old harbour
4 Other boats, unaffordable
5 Other boats, affordable

G

I nominate for the lowest rung corporate racing charter fleets!!!

Pete

jamesjermain

Visit site
No, you can forgive them for their ignorance.

I would nominate the Dragons who are insufferably borish to everyone, even those trying very hard to get out of their way and keep clear or their wind - after the spinnaker has wrapped round the forestay...

JJ

ianwright

Home: Peterborough, Mooring, Heybridge Basin
Visit site
Oh, I don’t know,,,,,,,,,
My mate Jack owned his old wooden gaff yawl for about fifty years. when he reached 75 he mostly sailed on OPBs and took out his yawl perhaps twice a year. After his 80th birthday he didn’t take her out at all. He would paint a little and then join his friend in the pub . He wouldn’t sell her because if he did then his favourite way of spending the weekend would be no more. And he MIGHT feel like a sail on a good day , mightn't he,,,,?
Lowest of the low?

IanW

peterb

Visit site
Rowers

The rower bit is interesting, speaking as one who used to row (50 years ago!). Did you realise that the only mention of "vessels under oars" in Colregs is to the lights they shoud carry? Nothing at all about give way, stand on, responsibilities between vessels, etc. So what happens when the replica Greek trireme, with 60 oars, meets the replica Viking longboat? What rules apply?

G

Re: Rowers

I was asked that question in my yachtmaster's exam. From a generally, unreliable memory, I believe a rowed boat is treated as a vessel under power. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I 'm wrong.

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

ianwright

Visit site

I'm sure you are right. Rowing is a form of mechanical propulson.

So,,,,That container ship to port of you should give way to you in your coxless pair,,,,,,,, but you must give way to the rubber dinghy blowing down wind towards you for he is sailing, at least until he gets his Seagull to run.

IanW.

G

The bottom of the pit is the owner who leaves a good boat to rot
If the have lost interest or have another reason, it would be better to sell it.
and show it the respect any boat deserves.
Paul

peterb

Visit site

I'm not so sure. "Power driven vessel" is defined as any vessel propelled by machinery. Can an oar (or several oars) be considered as machinery?

Frequently things like this are decided in the courts. Next time I have a reference book (Marsden on Collisions?) I'll have a look.

G

This could go on for ever ... why can't everyone try and give everyone else consideration and if you can [regardless of sail/power/oar/waterjet] give another water user a bit of respect even if the last sailboat [say] you encountered decided that it was easier for you the motorboat to change course as he was tacking and he had the right of way. If some of us drove round roundabouts when we had right of way then we would have a lot of accidents ... you have to give a little, not get stressed when the human you just gave consideration to turned out to be an alien from the planet ARROGANT! We are all in the group 'WATERUSER' after all?

ianwright

Visit site

>give another water user a bit of respect<
Spoy on, I hope we all use a little commonsense on the water, but on the keyboard we can be as nit-picking as we like without vanishing under a bulk carrier or ending up in a knife fight over which boat is best,,,,,,,, adds to the fun, don't you think?

IanW.