Anchors and anchoring, one of Panope's latest videos

MM5AHO

Visit site
I once dived in a lake in New Zealand, searching for an outboard lost overboard. There was no defined bottom, it was just as said above - gets thicker as you go down. You could dive from clear water into the bottom and go down another 2m or so until it got so thick it was hard to move. Depth to the opaque stuff was about 8m.
We never found the outboard.

NormanS

Visit site
The several places where I have left boats anchored in Bahamian Moor (Shetland Isles, and Western Isles), don't really do "prevailing winds". If you're going to leave a boat at anchor, unattended, for several weeks, you have to rely on the set-up being capable of being able to take whatever is thrown at it.
On our first cruise to Shetland, many years ago, we told everyone that we spoke to, that it was our intention to anchor the boat up somewhere, fly home, and come back later, and where would they suggest? We were heading up the West side, and several people suggested the village of Voe. I remember one old worthy sucking his teeth, and saying that at Voe, it sometimes freezes over. That seemed unlikely to happen in June, so that's where we went.

At that time, we had a 60ft converted fishing boat, built in Buckie by Herd and Mackenzie. Voe was indeed very sheltered, and we laid out our two 140lb anchors, a Plough and a Danforth, both on chain, and on excessive scope. There was plenty of space. With a Bahamian Moor, the two rodes are joined beneath the water, so that the boat can swing as dictated by the wind. It is important to make sure that both anchors are well set, and also important to ensure that there is sufficient slack in the system. Otherwise when the wind blows from the "side", it puts excessive load on the anchors. So, in essence, it's similar to being anchored in a Vee, except that the anchors are further apart.

When Bahamian Mooring on the West Coast, I relied on my own knowledge and experience to choose suitable situations. Obviously good shelter and good holding are paramount, but other considerations like not cluttering a recognised anchorage, a place to leave the dinghy, mobile phone signal (for a taxi etc), reasonable access to a road, all come into the equation. It has worked well for us.

Further to the above, where I said that I was warned that the sea sometimes freezes at Voe in Shetland:-

A piece on the BBC Scotland News just now had some beautiful film of just that. A large steel fishfarm boat, smashing it's way through the ice to get to the village. The film made all the better with blue sky and sea, snow on the land, and ice on the sea. I told you I was telling the truth. ? I've had it myself in Loch Spelve, a long time ago, when the fishfarm there asked me to act as an icebreaker for them. With a wooden boat? ?

RupertW

Visit site
Now, what does "unusually" mean? Some think that 25-30 knots. They won't anchor out in more than that anyway. Some think that is a 60 knot squall. It depends on the sailing area.

I could anwser the question for me, but not for everyone.
I haven’t done the calcs for your example but you would lose the catenary above maybe 30 knots not 60.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I haven’t done the calcs for your example but you would lose the catenary above maybe 30 knots not 60.

Actually, this depends very greatly on the depth of the water and the scope, and I did not give either, so there are no calculations that can be done. I have seen examples where the chain would not lift until just over 40 knots and not become relativly straight until near 60 knots. I've seen my chain lift at 10 knots. Each case is different.

But I was only talking about what "unusually strong" wind is. How long is a piece of string? Many people never anchor out above 25 knots. They go to a marina. Just sayin' and that is their business.

Neeves

Visit site
It is my experience, very subjective, but most anchorages that are popular are about 5m deep. There are some exceptional anchorages that are 20m deep - but they tend to be unpopular - because most people don't have enough rode to cope, 20m might mean that swell becomes an issue and an exclusive 20m depth means its a devil to get ashore.

Depths less than 5m are also unusual, as the waves tend to sit up in shallow water, people like a bit of water under their keel etc etc.

These 5m deep anchorages are well documented as they have been used from time immemorial. If you find Admiralty Pilots from 100 years ago - they are full of the anchorage we use to day (or would have used if they had not built a marina there :). The Pilot Books were developed from craft not dissimilar in draft and length to our own and they had the same issues as us as they made their surveys, not too much rode, no windlass, a need for a bit of peace and quiet (no swell), the need for fresh water and access to shore.......

On this basis I'd agree that for most people, most of the time then at 30 knots their rode will look as straight as a billiard cue. Of course some have yachts with out of proportion heavy chain and they fall outside the norm - but why would you sail with all that weight in the bow?

With the increased popularity of multi-hulls they can use more shallow anchorages - but we would always aim to anchor in around 5m of water. We do anchor in 10m but it would be very unusual - because there are so many anchorages of around 5m.

I know that in some places, Norwegian Fjords, large depths are common - how many members of this forum actually go there. How many members of this forum choose a 20m deep anchorage, at all. In Tropical North Queensland, up round the Barrier Reef we have monster tides, 10m, and there are lots of places with similar tides - you obviously need to anchor in 12 m. There are always exceptions.

Jonathan

NormanS

Visit site
It is my experience, very subjective, but most anchorages that are popular are about 5m deep. There are some exceptional anchorages that are 20m deep - but they tend to be unpopular - because most people don't have enough rode to cope, 20m might mean that swell becomes an issue and an exclusive 20m depth means its a devil to get ashore.

Depths less than 5m are also unusual, as the waves tend to sit up in shallow water, people like a bit of water under their keel etc etc.

These 5m deep anchorages are well documented as they have been used from time immemorial. If you find Admiralty Pilots from 100 years ago - they are full of the anchorage we use to day (or would have used if they had not built a marina there :). The Pilot Books were developed from craft not dissimilar in draft and length to our own and they had the same issues as us as they made their surveys, not too much rode, no windlass, a need for a bit of peace and quiet (no swell), the need for fresh water and access to shore.......

On this basis I'd agree that for most people, most of the time then at 30 knots their rode will look as straight as a billiard cue. Of course some have yachts with out of proportion heavy chain and they fall outside the norm - but why would you sail with all that weight in the bow?

With the increased popularity of multi-hulls they can use more shallow anchorages - but we would always aim to anchor in around 5m of water. We do anchor in 10m but it would be very unusual - because there are so many anchorages of around 5m.

I know that in some places, Norwegian Fjords, large depths are common - how many members of this forum actually go there. How many members of this forum choose a 20m deep anchorage, at all. In Tropical North Queensland, up round the Barrier Reef we have monster tides, 10m, and there are lots of places with similar tides - you obviously need to anchor in 12 m. There are always exceptions.

Jonathan
The tidal range where I live is six metres. A lot of the anchorages mentioned in the old copies of the Clyde Cruising Club, were in five fathoms. Remember them? We anchor in all sorts of depths, some deep, some shallow. With a powered windlass, it's not a problem. 60 knots of wind, while not welcome, is not that uncommon.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

Jonathan

Yup. My average depth has always been about 2 meters (at low tide--the range varies from very little to 5 feet). 5 meters a few times each year. Characteristically, they are protected from waves, but not always from wind. The unusual open roadstead requires more depth.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Good video. It would have been interesting to have included in the test a Kobra anchor. The Excel is of a very similar design to the Kobra although the Kobra has a much longer weighted tip which makes it difficult to store on the bow and some times its very "sticky" and difficult to break off the sea bed. Also, it would have been good to see how it behaves with re-setting, when turning 180 degrees.

MystyBlue2

Visit site
I only have room and weight capacity for a light 2.5kg bruce, 14ft 6mm galv chain and 100m 3 strand poly prop. My boat is 12ft dory half cabin.

always worked for me,

I just make sure that the ground is suitable on the sounder before throwing anchor overboard.

Its never let me down and have not got room or weight capacity to carry a different anchor for different ground. I just stick to hard sandy ground and if i want to fish broken ground i steam uptide, Drop anchor and drift back on the rode until im over the broken ground without actually anchoring into it. Tie off and fish.

Always set anchor and always getting it back.

Bloody good interesting video though ?

Neeves

Visit site
Like many anchors the Kobra does not travel - it is common in Europe but I've never seen one in N America and have only seen one in Oz, as the commissioning anchor on a French yacht. Like Spade, which is seen in French speaking locations, Fortress, genuine Danforth and Noerthhill in America, Excels in Oz and NZ, Brittany in France and Bugel for Germans - there are nationalistic patterns (not necessarily 'nationalistic' but indicative of poor distribution and marketing). It also has nothing to do with performance - just missed opportunity.

Jonathan