Anchoring in Priory Bay - any tips?

Giblets

Visit site
Being very familiar with the location and area I can confirm that the owners of the Priory Bay Hotel do actually own the foreshore down to the HW line together with the land and woods above it. As said there is a public footpath that runs part way along the top of the beach which then cuts inland up some steps to skirt Nodes Point and comes back down to the beach just north of the white daymark at the entrance to Bembridge Harbour.

Rappey

Visit site
I thought the previous owners were great allowing everyone to land and use their beautiful beach. Didn't they even set up a sandwich shack not so long ago for their visiting beach goers?

Habebty

Visit site
My very first trip on a “big” boat was from Hardway to Priory Bay on what seemed at the time a “huge” Atalanta 26.
( I was about 10y) Must have been about 1972?
For a 10 year old it was brilliant and remains as a top sailing memory that probably started the whole thing off!

bdh198

Visit site
Being very familiar with the location and area I can confirm that the owners of the Priory Bay Hotel do actually own the foreshore down to the HW line together with the land and woods above it. As said there is a public footpath that runs part way along the top of the beach which then cuts inland up some steps to skirt Nodes Point and comes back down to the beach just north of the white daymark at the entrance to Bembridge Harbour.

Do they actually own the ‘foreshore’ between the MHWM and MLWM? The Crown Estate map suggests someone other than the Crown Estate has control over it.

Probably a moot point because even if they don’t and there was a right of access to the foreshore it wouldn’t mean you could also enjoy access to the beach except for the part that also forms the footpath.

Refueler

Visit site
Memories of Priory Bay :

QwZnrYa.jpg

7LeAkIB.jpg

KhdEugG.jpg

u0xz8Ur.jpg

id0XOdZ.jpg

Uor536m.jpg

92cwz5a.jpg

j8E4BJ3.jpg

zhJZXR6.jpg

nMOiTj1.jpg

BD3HMA4.jpg

XN9op9N.jpg

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Nice piks Refueler..........
We decided to head over on Saturday in this heatwave. Knew it would be busy. Didn't realise quite how insanely busy....... Knew it would be a bit rolly.....but of course every rib and mobo in the world was on the water...............so extra rolly. AND NOISY. So on this occasion PB got a big thumbs down.
I was trying to lure my wife into agreeing to dry out inside Bembridge harbour. Couldn't get the webcam to work on my phone but went in and took a look. To my surprise one dinghy and plenty of people. We decided to turn around, but I wonder how busy it got later. Went into Portsmouth against the spring ebb and it was as expected, the best action of the day. :)