Anchoring in Kirby Creek

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I think there was a private bye-law passed in 1963 (the year of the Great Frost which wrecked the Colne oyster fishery) which authorised the laying of oyster beds in Kirby Creek, but they were not actually laid there until several years later. Apparently the bye law expires in 2023

ianc1200

Visit site
Surely we've been through this in the thread ealier. There is order which is due to expire in a couple of years. You can google it and download the map and the order. The question really is there an intention to restart the use of the oyster beds, or is it just a ruse by those in the know to keep the creek to themselves?

Kukri

Visit site
There are hours of fun to be had with Google, as ianc says:

Here’s the 2011 Sanitary Report :

https://www.cefas.co.uk/media/4n0j4...nitary-survey-report-2011-dj-table-issues.pdf

However, Walton Backwaters is not listed here, on the 2015 List of Designated Bivalve Production Areas in England and Wales:

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/media/document/classification-list-17-march-2016.pdf

although it was listed in the 2007 edition of the same List:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/foodlaw/pdf/uk-07032-shellfish-list.pdf

Conclusion: the oyster layings in Walton Backwaters must have gone out of use between the dates of the 2011 Sanitary Report and the 2015 Shellfish Site List. But there is nothing in the Sanitary Report to indicate a health problem.

Last edited:

Kukri

Visit site
I first anchored in Kirby Creek in 1971. There were no oyster layings and no notices.

In the 1970s my father and I kept our boat in the Twizzle, were members of the WFYC and customers of Bedwells. I can remember the mud berths operated by Bedwells on the far side of their creek, more or less opposite the club house, to the west, being dredged and cleared to make the oyster storage pond. The smack “Dorothy”, sailing now, emerged from the mud as part of this process; only a short length of her starboard rail had been above the mud!

I’m going to date this as “early 80s”.

Poecheng

Visit site
@Kukri,
In the 90s (and no doubt other times) there used to be a large yacht (45' ketch perhaps?) in the pond, closest to the Bedwells' office and with a green canvas cover for much of the time and then unwrapped by them for her owner's occasional returns. Was that you by any chance?

Kukri

Visit site
@Kukri,
In the 90s (and no doubt other times) there used to be a large yacht (45' ketch perhaps?) in the pond, closest to the Bedwells' office and with a green canvas cover for much of the time and then unwrapped by them for her owner's occasional returns. Was that you by any chance?

Far from it! This was us ( not my picture - later owner).

4F9F2752-9160-4991-9FD1-A1D57582C858.jpeg

I do remember “Drumbeat” in the pond!

I also remember the “Good Intent” when owned by (WFYC Commodore) Pat Conly laying up in the mud berth near the road.

Poecheng

Visit site
Far from it! This was us ( not my picture - later owner).

View attachment 110109

I do remember “Drumbeat” in the pond!

I also remember the “Good Intent” when owned by (WFYC Commodore) Pat Conly laying up in the mud berth near the road.
Yes it could be Drumbeat that I am thinking of. I understood her owner to be in the Far East and the boat was looked after by Bedwells when we were around there.

Kukri

Visit site
Yes it could be Drumbeat that I am thinking of. I understood her owner to be in the Far East and the boat was looked after by Bedwells when we were around there.

Once seen, never forgotten! 59 feet of varnished Honduras mahogany:

3B331CBB-D5BD-4636-B57B-70382DE7B376.jpeg2BA02CAE-E01C-4A63-93FF-BD64D7465CB7.jpeg

Needless to say, she’s a centreboarder!

I decamped to Woodbridge in 1984 when I bought this (and promptly moved to Hong Kong, but I did get six straight weeks of leave per year...):

2C1ABB0B-3D15-490E-8506-7506A54EA20D.jpeg

Black Diamond

Visit site
I first anchored in Kirby Creek in 1971. There were no oyster layings and no notices.

In the 1970s my father and I kept our boat in the Twizzle, were members of the WFYC and customers of Bedwells. I can remember the mud berths operated by Bedwells on the far side of their creek, more or less opposite the club house, to the west, being dredged and cleared to make the oyster storage pond. The smack “Dorothy”, sailing now, emerged from the mud as part of this process; only a short length of her starboard rail had been above the mud!

I’m going to date this as “early 80s”.

Re Dorothy, I spied her on my evening constitutional
IMG_0189.jpgIMG_0190.jpg

ianc1200

Visit site
The notices in Kirby Creek & The Twizzle said "No Anchoring Several Orders" see

Shellfisheries: Several Orders and Regulating Orders.

for an explanation of Several Orders.

In the Sanitary Report Kukri has given a link to above, see paragraph 2.3. The order is in place until 31st May 2023. I'm guessing if somebody says they are intending to use the oyster beds they do have this order until then to prevent people anchoring. Was subject to a lot of discussion at Titchmarsh last summer, some people quite defiant and saying until the oyster beds are properly marked, they will anchor in the creek, and have done so.

Kukri

Visit site
Was that Mirelle in your picture?

Yes. Her complete history is short, for a boat of her age, and well documented. She was designed by William Maxwell Blake and built by Claude Whisstock for Philip Allen (she was a wedding present from his future parents on law!) in 1937. Philip sold her through George Jones to Francis and Grace Manfield in 1950 and they sold her to me through David East in 1984. I sold her through Woodenships to James Evans in 2013. And that’s it.

Plum

Visit site
The hand painted "No anchoring" notice seems to have now gone, and there was a boat anchored in the creek about halfway down towards Honeypot Island a couple of days ago.
Was quite busy in there 6 weeks ago, the sign was illegible, no idea what it said. There were another 8 at anchor behind me when I took this. Was the OGA Summer Cruise fleet.
20210911_135919_resize_65.jpg

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

nortada

Visit site
Understand that because of EU regulations, the oyster company that used to operate out of a shed by Bedwell’s ceased trading and that the beds are no longer harvested.

Even when still in operation, the beds were in the middle so it was possible to anchor at either end of Kirby Creek or around Honeypot Island which dries to the west but there is plenty of water to the east.

There is a fierce runoff on the early ebb so good ground tackle is needed.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
About 2 weeks ago we anchored just short of the gap which creates honeypot island. We had tried for further down around the island but there was a mooring in one of the pools and a dinghy pontoon in the other.
Unfortunately we picked a spot where the ebb whirlpools so a rather noisy night. No snubber and a moderate NE wind. Fine on the flood.
Only one other boat over the two nights we were there.