Anchorage between Fethiye an Kaş

Irish Rover

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good anchorage anywhere close to half way between Fethiye and Kaş ideally with a restaurant or cafe reachable by dinghy. Any help appreciated.

rib

Visit site

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks. Will have a look at that on the chart in the morning. We're in Marmaris last 2 days but it's melting hot in the marina so we're moving south again tomorrow. We're planning to be in Kaş next weekend.

rib

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good anchorage anywhere close to half way between Fethiye and Kaş ideally with a restaurant or cafe reachable by dinghy. Any help appreciated.
Thanks. Will have a look at that on the chart in the morning. We're in Marmaris last 2 days but it's melting hot in the marina so we're moving south again tomorrow. We're planning to be in Kaş next weekend.
I'm in gocek this evening. May be one other night. Then getting food at Fethiye, may stay a day or two. Ti's very hot here as well. You staying at kas for any time??

Irish Rover

Visit site
I'm planning to be in Fethiye on Tuesday or Wednesday - I'm travelling with 3 ladies who like their comfort so will probably stay in Ece Marina. If you're there same time we could share a beer. I'll probably stay in Kaş 2 nights and may well turn back north after that.

rib

Visit site
I'm planning to be in Fethiye on Tuesday or Wednesday - I'm travelling with 3 ladies who like their comfort so will probably stay in Ece Marina. If you're there same time we could share a beer. I'll probably stay in Kaş 2 nights and may well turn back north after that.
Sounds like a plan that could work... Keep you posted ?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I dont know the area, but if you were a member of the CA, you would be able to consult the Captains Mate App which has a huge amount of members reports and satellite views of anchorages so that you can even see where the sand is to anchor! well worth the Sub. PM me and I will give you a joining discount code. Sorry to plug the CA!

Norman_E

Visit site
There are no anchorages at half distance. If going from Fethiye to Kas I generally spend a night at Karacaoren as Rib suggested. I have been into Kalkan in the past, but the harbour is often full.

Norman_E

Visit site
Oludeniz 17nm south from Fethiye, been a while, but was beautiful then...
You are not allowed to take your boat into Olu Deniz. There is an anchorage outside, but its not suitable in all conditions. Further south some boats anchor off Butterfly Valley, but again not in all weather conditions. There are no safe anchorages at all along the Seven Capes.

neil1967

Visit site
Karacaoren every time - although it has been a few years - do make sure you take the channel though - we saw a yacht trying to sneak over the reef and hitting it hard. Good restaurant ashore. Alternatively if you go a mile or so to the east you can anchor stern to in the channel between the island and the mainline (up against the island). It's quite steep - you'll be dropping anchor in about 20m but by the time you're against the shore you'll be in about 5m. There is a restaurant ashore, but it used to have a bad reputation.

Norman_E

Visit site
Karacaoren every time - although it has been a few years - do make sure you take the channel though - we saw a yacht trying to sneak over the reef and hitting it hard. Good restaurant ashore. Alternatively if you go a mile or so to the east you can anchor stern to in the channel between the island and the mainline (up against the island). It's quite steep - you'll be dropping anchor in about 20m but by the time you're against the shore you'll be in about 5m. There is a restaurant ashore, but it used to have a bad reputation.

So I am not the only one to have seen boats try it! Before going anywhere new, read the Pilot Book! I have seen two boats try to get in through the reef, and one even try to get out! Only one got though without hitting rock, and that was a small charter boat in a flotilla. What part of the morning briefing didn't that skipper listen to? The flotilla leader was mooring another boat and did not see it heading in, but realised what had happened and was not best pleased.
I was in the restaurant one evening when we all saw a fair sized charter yacht coming straight towards us at quite a speed. With no VHF we could do nothing to warn it off. Sure enough it hit hard and came to an abrupt stop with its rig shaking, then the swell took it over the rock. I bet they never told the charter company about that. The oddest one was a German crewed boat which had come in the evening before by the proper route, and tried to go out through the first gap at the end of the mainland. It hit and came back in astern. Its a tribute to the strength of modern boats than the ones I have seen hit the reef have not been sunk by having their keels torn off.

I have never seen a restaurant on Gemiler Island, though there was (is?) a cabin that sold drinks and snacks near the landing stage. There is a restaurant ashore in Gemiler bay (36.33.53N 29.03.70E) which was awful. I anchored in that bay once and tried it. Never again. The other local place to go is Cold Water Bay, with a restaurant ashore up the hill. You can walk from there to the abandoned Greek village of Karakoy.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks to all for the help and information. We stayed in Ece Marina last night. It's 10 years since I was there previously and it looks like there has been little maintenance in the meantime. The pontoons are wooden and quite rickety in places. The showers and toilets look old and dated and not exactly clean. €65 for the night cheeky in the circumstances.
We're now moored in Karacaoren. No other boats here although tripper boats just arriving. Its a beautiful place. We took a mooring line and a line ashore. We'll probably stay 2 nights.
Is Ölüdeniz too far in the dinghy, I wonder?

Norman_E

Visit site
Thanks to all for the help and information. We stayed in Ece Marina last night. It's 10 years since I was there previously and it looks like there has been little maintenance in the meantime. The pontoons are wooden and quite rickety in places. The showers and toilets look old and dated and not exactly clean. €65 for the night cheeky in the circumstances.
We're now moored in Karacaoren. No other boats here although tripper boats just arriving. Its a beautiful place. We took a mooring line and a line ashore. We'll probably stay 2 nights.
Is Ölüdeniz too far in the dinghy, I wonder?
Please tell Can (John) and Jill at the restaurant that Norman & Jila from Mary Lou send their regards, as we don't know if we will be able to get out to Turkey this year.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Please tell Can (John) and Jill at the restaurant that Norman & Jila from Mary Lou send their regards, as we don't know if we will be able to get out to Turkey this year.
Had an excellent meal and hospitality there tonight and planning to stay another night so will definitely pass on your greetings tomorrow. Thanks again.

Norman_E

Visit site
Had an excellent meal and hospitality there tonight and planning to stay another night so will definitely pass on your greetings tomorrow. Thanks again.
Always one of my favourite stops, generally for two or three nights. I have a video taken by a friend using my cheap GoPro copy of turtles swimming in the clear waters of the bay. Tis is a part of it. The star is the son of one of my sailing friends, who can swim underwater far better than I can

Irish Rover

Visit site
Message delivered to Jill. Can not around this evening. They say hello to you too and hope to see you both soon.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
Really quiet here tonight. There was just one other boat with a big family last night and only one boat again tonight with a single guy on board.