An issue of perception.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
That's why I find it odd that so many people sail in the UK. Learning to sail in Oz was just another way to mess about in the water, with the advantage you didn't have to go home afterwards. It was most sunny, nearly always warm and always enjoyable!
Sunny and warm isn't the way we do things in England old chap, wash your mouth out; we're a hardy race and we positively enjoy
battering and beating our way round our rocky islands with our strong tides, dangerous shifting banks, inhospitable coastlines and continuous onslaught of low pressure systems to keep life interesting.
Doing it in ancient wooden vessels with historic rigs is the cherry on top, which links us to our Iceni, Trininovantes and Brigantes tribal ancestors.
In my incorrigibly biased patriotic opinion, Britain is the sailing capital of the planet. Australia was charted from a Whitby collier.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
Sunny and warm isn't the way we do things in England old chap, wash your mouth out; we're a hardy race and we positively enjoy
battering and beating our way round our rocky islands with our strong tides, dangerous sanbanks, inhospitable coastlines and continuous onslaught of low pressure systems to keep life interesting.
Doing it in ancient wooden vessels with historic rigs is the cherry on top, which links us to our Iceni, Trininovantes and Brigantes tribal ancestors.
In my incorrigibly biased patriotic opinion, Britain is the sailing capital of the planet. Australia was charted from a Whitby collier.
That must be why I've stayed here. Sailed the old timber boat back to the UK, sold it and bought an older, bigger one! (I won't poke the the AC button!)

Caraway

Visit site
As mjcoon points out, Sir Thomas Lipton, a purveyor of tea, failing to be deemed a “gentleman” challenged for the America’s Cup under the auspices of the Royal Ulster YC.

From 2017
Actually, all his challenges were made through the Royal Ulster Yacht Club - which he did indeed refer to as "My Own Bloody Yacht Club" - but he didn't found it. He was just a proud member. It's a fine club and it has a fine Model Room...

He was elected to the RYS shortly before he died - and is said to have quipped "What club is that? Where is its club house?"

Tranona

Visit site
Drop down to your local gravel pit, or tidal creek with their sailing clubs. You'll see far more sailing dinghies and small old stuff out and about actually sailing than the on the Solent.
Same with our club youth activities. No problem getting young people into boats. The problem is that it is like many youth activities it is difficult to carry over into adult life. There is a huge gap between sport sailing in small boats and owning and running a cruising boat. 45% of members are over 60, 35% 41-59 and together own most of the boats in the marina. Only 9% are in the 21-40 age group and virtually none own cruising boats.

Like many clubs we are working hard to expand the use of facilities and attract new family/cruising members as well as increasing the youth sailing programmes.

Walther

Visit site
As a somewhat ironic anecdote I've only met one RYS member on our travels - he made such a performance to ensure sure all in the vicinity saw the wad of twenties in his hand when he was paying the harbour master it was cringeworthy and rather gauche. It brought to mind a cash-in-hand apprentice tradesman in the pub on his first payday!
There are a few prats, and many good people, in every club. Please don’t judge the entire Squadron based on that one member/incident!

Did quite a bit of racing on a RYS boat in Hong Kong a few years ago now..
I had a chance to meet Tim Wilson at the RBYC shortly after El Oro had completed the 2017 Antigua-Bermuda race. He seemed like a pleasant person, very friendly and down to earth.

In the modern egalitarian social climate, is there a fairly representative % of ethnic minorities in the RYS?
To comply with modern laws, surely they must reserve some places on the board and comittee for the BAME community?
Very funny. :rolleyes:

Rumour in my Royal club is that RYS membership is first and foremost for those who have served (forces, not below stairs). Personally, I have my doubts and think it is who you know, as if normally the way.
You are both partially correct. Most Squadron members have no service connection; however, there is a special category of “naval members” who join under a different admissions scheme.

Last edited:

PhillM

Visit site
S
What's the best way to approach a RYS member?
Genuine question, he has a vacant parking space to die for, perfect for my 1895 44 ton gaff cutter.
( Ihave seen him casting appreciative glances upon her lovely lines.)
Is there a secret handshake, or some codewords to slip into a casual conversation?
I researched the masonic code and it got me off a speeding fine, because I told the beak I was ''on the level'. Is it the same kind of routine, or do I risk being black balled for sheer effrontery?

Say hello and talk about boats. I know a couple of members and they are really very nice people.