An AMA with Pip Hare

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk
The pandemic has been hard on all professional athletes but we were really lucky in that from the start of the first lock down the Vendee Globe organisers supported by the French government were really clear that the race would go ahead. As we did not depend on a full stadium to make it work the organisers were confident they could make it work.

preparations were hard and in 2020 I did not get to meet with or race against any of my competitors so I turned up to the event with no idea of who I should be bench marking against or how well we had done. I still have never spoken to some of my competitors and I am sorry about that

That's really sad that you weren't able to meet all the other competitors, because it seems like there's such a strong community spirit among the fleet. Hope you get to have some kind of meet-up/reunion before the 2024 start line!

ridgy

Visit site
You've mentioned some other races apart from 2024 but do you have any non-sailing ventures lined up e.g. writing a book, after dinner speaker etc?

Are you definitely doing the 3 peaks and if so will it be another 2 handed attempt?

sarabande

Visit site
Your primary sponsor talked about 'monitoring' your cheerfulness and other mind factors. Loneliness and the long-distance sailor has taken its toll on many people over the years.

Can you share any prior coaching or professional help tips that enabled you to keep on an even keel, even wheneverything seemed to conspire against you ?

Pip Hare

Visit site
Are you allowed to unseal the warps and use them to trail ad 'drogues/sea anchors in heavy weather, or do you have to carry separate wraps 'drogues/sea anchor(s) for that?
If you wanted to unseal anything you would need to explain what and why to the jury on sure. For example I needed to use my anchor chain to weigh down my rudder when I swapped it over. I contacted the jury in advance explained why and they gave me permission then I had to seal everything back up again with one of my spare seals afterwards.

we do carry drogues which are not sealed but in reality in an emergency, you cut the seal, use the kit and then explain it away afterwards. You might end up with a penalty but if it is legitimate there is no problem

Pip Hare

Visit site
You've mentioned some other races apart from 2024 but do you have any non-sailing ventures lined up e.g. writing a book, after dinner speaker etc?

Are you definitely doing the 3 peaks and if so will it be another 2 handed attempt?
I am doing quite a bit of virtual speaking at the moment. I won't be writing a book yet - I think that is for when I have hung up my sailing boots.

the goal is to do the three peaks double handed but it depends on my fitness. I have to go from not using my legs for three months to being fit enough to run three back to back near marathons on no sleep. I have been struggling a bit with injury but there is still time to get fit I hope

Pip Hare

Visit site
Your primary sponsor talked about 'monitoring' your cheerfulness and other mind factors. Loneliness and the long-distance sailor has taken its toll on many people over the years.

Can you share any prior coaching or professional help tips that enabled you to keep on an even keel, even wheneverything seemed to conspire against you ?

I think one of the main points is that there is a big difference between being alone and being lonely. I chose to be alone and I love it and I feel loved and supported at every moment. You can feel lonely in a room full of people - it's not about physical proximity to people it's about relationships.
sat comms are very good now and so I knew I could always talk to someone if I needed and most of the time I had whats app messages from family and friends coming in.

but when I did feel miserable I tried to 'zoom out' - I would stop focussing on that moment in time, that one thing that was making me feel bad and I would zoom out so far that I could see myself in my incredible boat, on the ocean doing a race I had battled to achieve my whole life. it was a good reminder of how Lucky and happy I felt and that I had chosen to be there and whatever was making me feel bad was just a moment in time and it would pass

Pip Hare

Visit site
What is your view of the current 'vessels' in the last America's Cup race? e.g. A good thing for sailing?
Wow, I think they are amazing. But one of the incredible things about sailing is it's diversity. I think it might be the most diverse sport on the planet. We can stretch the boundaries of design and technology with the Americas cup, but still find the same pleasure in live aboard cruising or tall ships that take young people afloat. Every form of sailing is equally valid it just offers different things and the important factor is the 'horse for courses' bit

Pip Hare

Visit site
What kind of wildlife did you spot during the race? Are you able to look out for birds and marine mammals or are you too busy/focussed on sailing?
I actually didn't see a huge amount of wildlife. There is not that much on the surface of the ocean when you are really far offshore. But I did see hour glass dolphins off the bottom of South Africa and the Albatross were incredible

Pip Hare

Visit site
Do you have time to get bored during the race and carry a book(s) or music to listen to?
I never got bored. There is way to much to do. I listened to music quite a bit as it helped keep me happy and I love it, but I also listened to audio books. Many other skippers took movies to watch but I didn't have any

Pip Hare

Visit site
Did you come across a lot of floating pollution?
No not really - but I guess I was always trying to position myself where there was wind and the pollution tends to gather in windless areas. When you do see something it really jolts you though. Being totally immersed in a very natural and pure environment it makes you feel quite ashamed when a load of plastic or other rubbish floats on past

Pip Hare

Visit site
Following on, did you have to check your keel and rudder for snagged plastic nets etc?
I checked the rudders a lot and had to quite often pull of seaweed and then the odd bits of line from fishing nets. I didn't have a way of checking the keel but if the boat was feeling unbalanced or sluggish in lighter winds then I would try to back up to remove anything that might have caught up on the appendages

Status
Not open for further replies.