An AMA with Nick Burham (AKA Aquaholic) - Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Hi Nick,

Love your YouTube channel. I've been watching for ages.

Are there any specific boats, or types of boat, that you have yet to be able to do a tour of, that you'd really like to feature one day on your channel? If so, what's stopped you from being able to get on board them to date?

:)

Riva and Pershing!

No response to requests from Ferretti Group...

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
Money no object, what would be your ideal maximum size of boat? Would you want the superyacht lifestyle (captain, crew, room for parties on board etc.) or do you always want to be the skipper?

It depends on circumstances. Right now, a 35-40ft fast sportscruiser in the UK. With more time, a 55ft flybridge in the UK that we could spend weeks on in the summer. With unlimited time, a 70ft flybridge in the Med. When I'm old, a crewed superyacht in the Med.

GaryPL

Visit site
What's the fastest that you have travelled on the water and what boat was is it in? Frightening or exhilarating?!

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
What was your favourite sale when you were a broker?

About 30 years ago a chap wandered into my office. He and his wife had a holiday flat in Brixham and they fancied a little boat to get out onto the water. I sold him a Fjord 21. He was such a nice chap that I gave him a lot of help and advice with it, and he was such a nice chap that he eventually gave me a set of spare keys and told me to help myself whenever they weren't using it.

It became such a great set up (I completely looked after the boat - he paid for it) that we moved up to a Princess 266 Riviera and then a Fairline Targa 33 that we had lots of adventures on.

He's been out of boating for 15 years now, but he's still one of my very closest friends and now he comes out occasionally on my boat.

LBRodders

Visit site
About 30 years ago a chap wandered into my office. He and his wife had a holiday flat in Brixham and they fancied a little boat to get out onto the water. I sold him a Fjord 21. He was such a nice chap that I gave him a lot of help and advice with it, and he was such a nice chap that he eventually gave me a set of spare keys and told me to help myself whenever they weren't using it.

It became such a great set up (I completely looked after the boat - he paid for it) that we moved up to a Princess 266 Riviera and then a Fairline Targa 33 that we had lots of adventures on.

He's been out of boating for 15 years now, but he's still one of my very closest friends and now he comes out occasionally on my boat.

Fantastic story. Thank you ??

Binnacle

Visit site
I don't think so because it's extremely clear that on the roads, formal qualifications don't stop bad or careless driving and because the fact is that incidents are extremely rare, and I doubt getting a qualification would change that.

I disagree with your optimistic view. Incidents are, unfortunately, quite frequent as analysis of e.g. ROSPA or RNLI data shows. The growth of e.g. jetskis is causing great disturbance to the peaceful use of water, and also for the need for greater regulation by local authorities and enforcement by marine police units. But it's not only the small motorised missiles: there have been too many incidents resulting in tragedy caused by excessive speed in areas where other users are constrained by wind speed (think of Southampton Water last year). Relative to other users, mobos have huge kinetic energy potential, and it is about time that formal training in safe and sensible use by all vessels of shared boating areas was considered to be essential by insurance companies.

Nick Burnham

www.facebook.com
I disagree with your optimistic view. Incidents are, unfortunately, quite frequent as analysis of e.g. ROSPA or RNLI data shows. The growth of e.g. jetskis is causing great disturbance to the peaceful use of water, and also for the need for greater regulation by local authorities and enforcement by marine police units. But it's not only the small motorised missiles: there have been too many incidents resulting in tragedy caused by excessive speed in areas where other users are constrained by wind speed (think of Southampton Water last year). Relative to other users, mobos have huge kinetic energy potential, and it is about time that formal training in safe and sensible use by all vessels of shared boating areas was considered to be essential by insurance companies.

Jet skis is a whole other subject - don't get me started! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.