Amlin insurance

Seastoke

Visit site
What are the forums thoughts , I have had renew off topsail cheaper than last year , is amlin policy any good

Hurricane

Visit site
Topsail is just a broker and should be offering you options.
I was with Y and when the renewal came in, I shopped around and eventually settled with a different broker Curtis Marine.
I told Curtis about the forum and he is prepared to offer a discount to get your business.
Any discount will be subject to your specific requirements but in my case, I saved about £400 by switching to Curtis.

I also looked very carefully at wording.
Topsail wrap their wording into their own document and it DOES have some differences.
I chose Haven Knox Johnson as the main underwriter because of some small differences that would make a big difference in any claim.

So, I recommend that you give Aidan at Curtis a call.
You may have to leave your details with the girls at reception but if you mention Aidan and the YBW forum discount, I'm sure they will provide you a good service.

RupertW

Visit site
We have been with HKJ (then became Amlin then back again) for the last 10 years and had a major payout after another boat collided with ours in our home marina berth which was only noticed by us when we came back after a month away from the boat.

They were really good, both in surveying accurately, project managing all the work and paying up in full for the damage and for 2/4rds of some parts which were old and not broken but made sense to replace when doing the main work.

They have also been very good and cheap (or free) when we have moved around the cover during a season - deciding to visit a country not covered or whilst sailing the boat from one end of the Med to the other.

Momac

Visit site
Topsail wrap their wording into their own document and it DOES have some differences.
No Topsail wording in my case
The wording is Haven KJ's All Weather policy .
I obtained the price direct from Haven KJ and Topsail reduced it by 10% .

I have come to the view that brokers rarely if ever start with the best offer for you - more like they offer the best deal for themselves. Topsails starting offer was way higher than the price I eventually paid. But topsail did work hard to win me over.
Curtis were not far off the final mark and will be on my call list for next time.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Curtis offered me Towergate insurance which I thought was poor wording although it was cheap. I asked them for a quote from N&G and they just came back saying the Towergate was OK
They do respond well to questions but for me not the right answers
My issue was the “left unattended in a bay” requirement. I needed some precise wording on what and what not was allowed but all I got was “the insurers could refuse cover should you not exercise your duty of care.....”
Too vague for me. Is sitting in a beach restaurant while my boat is at anchor exercising duty of care?......I dunno........until I try to claim!

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
My issue was the “left unattended in a bay” requirement. I needed some precise wording on what and what not was allowed but all I got was “the insurers could refuse cover should you not exercise your duty of care.....”
Too vague for me. Is sitting in a beach restaurant while my boat is at anchor exercising duty of care?......I dunno........until I try to claim!
You are quite correct in not taking that policy if you wish to leave the boat unattended at anchor and you wish to be insured for any loss while at anchor.

Seastoke

Visit site
We have gone with top sail £10 cheaper than last year , it is with NG. We had to have some thing clarified but happy now.

Andrew M

Visit site
Topsail is just a broker and should be offering you options.
I was with Y and when the renewal came in, I shopped around and eventually settled with a different broker Curtis Marine.
I told Curtis about the forum and he is prepared to offer a discount to get your business.
Any discount will be subject to your specific requirements but in my case, I saved about £400 by switching to Curtis.

I also looked very carefully at wording.
I chose Haven Knox Johnson as the main underwriter because of some small differences that would make a big difference in any claim.

So, I recommend that you give Aidan at Curtis a call.
You may have to leave your details with the girls at reception but if you mention Aidan and the YBW forum discount, I'm sure they will provide you a good service.

Thanks for the nod on Curtis Mike, I've been speaking with Heather from there this morning and have renewed our insurance with them, very helpful people and good price.