Amazing new specie of seagull

Caraway

Visit site
It doesn't have to be a "video hosting site". After getting fed up with Facebook's uploading peccadillos I've been using Google Drive (for free) instead. You just cite the URL and Facebook recognises it's a video and shows a preview. Best if you already have a GMail account, perhaps. Example: Little Owl in tree
That was pretty cranky though.
Vimeo | The world's only all-in-one video solution is really easy, free and safe. If you can't manage to upload and link to Vimeo it's a lost cause.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
On Southwold Pier in Suffolk there is a machine showing an interview with a seagull.

They don't think much of our abilities.

Apparently, our invention of aeroplanes is only a coping strategy for not being able to fly.
Also, we can't make our own nests and have to get others to do it.

I was speaking to a couple of gulls in McDonalds car park recently whilst emptying the remains of my happy meal in the bin. They said only green aware seagulls clean up our mess.

dom

Visit site
I genuinely don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but anyway it's not black and white one way or the other; that's why I used extreme examples.

In fact, I have a pragmatic, but no deep philosophical objection to the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes.

But as you say, one doesn't need to go to such extremes; for most people would choose to save the life of a family pet (incurring £ '000s in vet fees) than the lives of many impoverished but blameless people living in poor countries. The difference being that those are anonymous poor people.

Which introduces the complex area of cognitive proximity. And whether all non-charitable discretionary spending is wrong, which would ultimately condemn all wealthy countries to long-term poverty, with the consequent loss of even more life-years.

Totally agree, this is nowhere near a black and white issue.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
https://youtube.com/shorts/hOiaFubn_x0?feature=share

Gulls are fine. Grey squirrels get shot and the corpses are left « pour encourager les autres » and to feed the crows.

I have noticed that crows have exquisite table manners (“lawn manners”, anyway). If one is eating the others form an orderly queue and go in for displacement activity like strolling up and down with their wings behind their backs and pecking the grass, until the one at the squirrel has finished. And they don’t leave a mess; the last one flies off with the remains.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Perhaps you should read about the research that has been done on octopus cognition. There was a short series by a philosopher on that topic on BBC Radio 4 recently.
I’m not sure I could eat octopus again after seeing the film “my octopus teacher”. They are such extraordinary and wonderful creatures.

it’s a shame really, as when it’s done well, octopus is one of my favourite delicacies.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I couldn't eat octopus again. I think bicycle inner tube would be easier to eat.
I’m not going to argue with you about that; let’s propagate that view. It would be good news for the octopus population.

I don’t think it will catch on in Spain or Portugal, mind you.

Bouba

Visit site
Can anybody help, the compression program Clideo.com allows me to compress the video and it gives it a url code, which I have copied above but how do I post it here to share (only here)?