Amateur Radio 80m Yachting Net anyone?

Daverw

Visit site
Fingers crossed you get it sorted, may struggle on the boat though, I know mine would

Attachments

• 2CF2AD07-FCEC-4A4E-8CF4-7D7A2DDAA17D.jpeg
    2CF2AD07-FCEC-4A4E-8CF4-7D7A2DDAA17D.jpeg
    906 KB · Views: 17

Skylark

Visit site
I’m looking at the problem of getting an 80 metre antenna up too.

The thread has prompted me to dust off and start restoring a second hand home brew linear amp I picked up a few years ago. It’s been sitting in the shelf gathering dust. Do you think I’ll have enough power? HI

View attachment 106373

View attachment 106374
A pair of 813’s in grounded grid with 2400 volts on the anodes.
So far I’ve resurrected the power supply and sorted the relay switching out but my dummy load only takes 150 watts so I need to put a dipole up to accept the power! I’ve resprayed the cabinets but discovered both grid and anode meters are defunct. (I wondered for ages why there was no standing current through the valves but I eventually put my ancient AVO in the anode circuit and found it was working all the time. I’ve ordered new meters and 20 metres of RG213 to feed a dipole.
I’ve never really been a fan of “power”, I prefer “gain” as I think it’s cleaner, less likely to cause any form of RFI. Plus of course, a power amp does nothing for the receiver.

Hope you have a good band pass filter ?

Since my last post I’ve erected a long wire with 49:1 unun. The wire is only 20m long but with a decent ATU I can present a reasonable SWR to my tubes (Trio hybrid rig).

I’m not interested in chasing DX so the long wire is a pretty good multiband compromise for occasional use.

Crossing threads, I’m now trying to improve my CW ?

jdc

Visit site
May I ask why one would use the 3.5MHz band? Why not 7 or 14? The antenna is much harder to make or tune and range is lower. Almost all my useful HF contacts have been around 14MHz, and that's where the existing international cruiser nets tend to be. In fact, I don't think I've used 3.5MHz for some years.

PS: Why do amateurs refer to wavelength rather than frequency? It's something I've always thought, well, amateur in the perjorative meaning of the word.

Daverw

Visit site
HAMs refer to both wavelengths and frequency, wavelength for the shorthand and then frequency to be more precise as we don’t have channels on HF. 80m and 40m bands are used a lot for DX, antennas a challenge on lower bands, not harder to make or tune but need a bit more space. All bands will be used depending of conditions though, that’s the fun. Top band 160m needs a lot of thought though as loads of room needed.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’ve never really been a fan of “power”, I prefer “gain” as I think it’s cleaner, less likely to cause any form of RFI. Plus of course, a power amp does nothing for the receiver.

Hope you have a good band pass filter ?

Since my last post I’ve erected a long wire with 49:1 unun. The wire is only 20m long but with a decent ATU I can present a reasonable SWR to my tubes (Trio hybrid rig).

I’m not interested in chasing DX so the long wire is a pretty good multiband compromise for occasional use.

Crossing threads, I’m now trying to improve my CW ?
I’m not sure you’re post makes any sense to me. There’s a limit to the gain you can put into a receiving system. The limit at VHF is set by the noise figure of the front end. At HF it’s set by the background or natural noise. Ultimately it’s all about signal to noise ratio.

Of course perhaps you refer to gain in the transmit side? Gain that produces a clean signal that’s more powerful can improve signal to noise ratio. I don’t believe in excess power as I haven’t chased DX through pile ups for many years.

Skylark

Visit site
I’m not sure you’re post makes any sense to me. There’s a limit to the gain you can put into a receiving system. The limit at VHF is set by the noise figure of the front end. At HF it’s set by the background or natural noise. Ultimately it’s all about signal to noise ratio.

Of course perhaps you refer to gain in the transmit side? Gain that produces a clean signal that’s more powerful can improve signal to noise ratio. I don’t believe in excess power as I haven’t chased DX through pile ups for many years.
Yes, I was referring to your power amp, hence gain on transmit. I have a triband 3-element beam for 14/21/28 (not currently erected) and this would give benefit to transmit and receive compared to a se-up comprising dipole with power amp.

john_morris_uk

Yes, I was referring to your power amp, hence gain on transmit. I have a triband 3-element beam for 14/21/28 (not currently erected) and this would give benefit to transmit and receive compared to a se-up comprising dipole with power amp.
I completely agree with you in that regard. I used to build quad antennas for 20/15/10 and when I joined the RN I gave my tower to the local Scouts for their JOTA station.

I’ve never used this particular linear and picked it up cheap as a project. I had in mind to do it up and sell it (and will probably still do this.)

Finding gain in antennas in the LF bands isn’t easy though unless you’ve got a LOT of space. Phased verticals is one way but I sold the one multiband vertical I had a few months ago. You also need to bury a lot of copper wire in all directions to get the best benefit from verticals.

Turnbuckle

Visit site
Well, we're still working 3.765 +/- QRM at 0800 on Tuesday mornings - just above the daily Horizontal Net. Even if you can't work us (no radio, no licence, not enough power!) we'd still welcome reception reports. The call will be from Wessex Ham MX0WSX from 1st January 2021.

The reason why we're using 80m band at present is that the 40m and above increases skip distance and makes regional working a little more difficult, and 40m is a wee bit crowded. 20m (the old 14.303) was excellent for European working, but not for local SW England. Let's try to build the 80m net and see where we go from there.

john_morris_uk

Well, we're still working 3.765 +/- QRM at 0800 on Tuesday mornings - just above the daily Horizontal Net. Even if you can't work us (no radio, no licence, not enough power!) we'd still welcome reception reports. The call will be from Wessex Ham MX0WSX from 1st January 2021.

The reason why we're using 80m band at present is that the 40m and above increases skip distance and makes regional working a little more difficult, and 40m is a wee bit crowded. 20m (the old 14.303) was excellent for European working, but not for local SW England. Let's try to build the 80m net and see where we go from there.
0800 3.765 plus or minus QRM it is then. I’ll see if I can get the workshop warmed up by then. I’ll try and put some sort of antenna and matching unit together for 80m but it’ll be only low(ish) power at first. G4BXS

Turnbuckle

Visit site
Excellent - though we may not be on tomorrow 5th January - but will be regularly on from 12th January at this time. If you can tx please feel free to put out some calls for the net.... I have sent you an email.... Best, Richard G4JJP

Last edited:

Skylark

Visit site

Nothing heard from 08h00 to 08h20 from the Cheshire WebSDR site. Horizontal Net very strong at 3.760, another British group strong at 3.772 and a few French and German weak/QRM in between. If this station doesn't receive you in the NW, my compromised, neighbour discrete, long wire isn't going to. :(

Generally, the 80m band seemed wide open with some very strong European signals.

Turnbuckle

Visit site
Nothing heard from 08h00 to 08h20 from the Cheshire WebSDR site. Horizontal Net very strong at 3.760, another British group strong at 3.772 and a few French and German weak/QRM in between. If this station doesn't receive you in the NW, my compromised, neighbour discrete, long wire isn't going to. :(

Generally, the 80m band seemed wide open with some very strong European signals.
Thanks to Boris’ schools ‘mess’ up was unable to call this morning so lack of signal not surprising. Thanks for the time taken to listen though. Will be on next week as usual.

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
Excellent! Many people are re-joining nets and returning to Amateur Radio - with plenty of us enjoying yachting / boating.

Here also. A newly qualified mate was nudging me to get back into it. I found my 1974 City & Guilds Amateur Radio Exam pass certificate in the loft, sent it off to Ofcom who sent me confirmation of a full licence. In the "old days" I was only 2m+ as I never passed morse but now I have freedom of the airwaves! Not bought any kit and only charter/borrow boats so an installation isn't possible yet.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Here also. A newly qualified mate was nudging me to get back into it. I found my 1974 City & Guilds Amateur Radio Exam pass certificate in the loft, sent it off to Ofcom who sent me confirmation of a full licence. In the "old days" I was only 2m+ as I never passed morse but now I have freedom of the airwaves! Not bought any kit and only charter/borrow boats so an installation isn't possible yet.

Lucky Dab....... :)

Bilgediver

Visit site
How many made it? Up here in Edinburgh could just hear MX0WSX who made a contact with an unheard station but then dropped into the noise at about 08: 04. After that nothing heard.. I gave a CQ at 08:12 but nothing heard.

John GM4ZQH