Am I a "real" sailor now?

Birdseye

Visit site
What makes a "proper" sailor? Crossing the channel? Crossing an ocean? Surviving a storm? Surviving psittacosis? Reading this forum I've long been aware that there's one significant experience you "proper" sailors have all had which I haven't.

Fray Bentos. The dead animal contents were a bit of a blocker, but hey, it's 2020 now.

I just ate my first. I'm not down to the boat until wednesday so cheated and cooked it in a domestic oven. Is the under-pastry supposed to be that soggy? I have to say that the gelatinous "gravy" or whatever it's supposed to be was not appealing and I'm not loving the idea of another one but if the full initiation ritual requires me cooking and eating one onboard I'll do it.

snapshotimagehandler_290316582.jpeg
Dead animal contents? Are there any in an FB pie? I dont know whether they make you a real sailor but they certainly give you enough dead ballast in your guts.

The qualifications for a real yottie include: antifoul specs on face and in hair, an empty wallet and maxed out cards, frequently spotted rooting in boatyard skips, going to the boat show dressed up as for the southern ocean, an obsessive interest in weather forecasts, withering contempt for mobo drivers.

John the kiwi

Visit site
Fray Bentos pies are available in little old hometown NZ. Given the status these things have on these forums i felt duty bound to at least try one. To be honest i have eaten worse and i felt that improved cooking technique may have made it better. (not good, just better!)

The same food outlet had some canned luncheon "meat". In the interests of science and wondering whether it would be good in the emergency rations i bought a can.
The can was covered in mostly Chinese writing, and with photos of happy smiling Chinese. They had obviously never tried the product, because if you have tried the product, you don't feel like smiling for a very long time!
Truly the nastiest thing ever! It even made spam seem attractive for a few minutes!

newtothis

Visit site
Fray Bentos pies are available in little old hometown NZ. Given the status these things have on these forums i felt duty bound to at least try one. To be honest i have eaten worse and i felt that improved cooking technique may have made it better. (not good, just better!)

New Zealanders have been inured to the quality of Fray Bentos through the consumption of Big Ben pies. A nation that can live on Big Bens (or Rat Packs, as we called them) can eat anything.

Denek

Visit site
We have an FB in the cupboard and I suspect that it where it will remain unless we have a dire emergency. Our stand by is tinned potatoes, tin corned beef and beans. I always try my best to make sure we have good food on board so these are not required though. We did bring a home made Chilli out of the freezer at home this time and it was curry? not a bad thing though.

Sybarite

Visit site
You are not a proper sailor until you have committed the contents of your stomach to the deep on at least one occasion. This may not be unconnected with the FB idea, of course. I performed the trick on a miserable X-Channel ferry called Cote d'Azur in the '50s, and not since, yet.

Beat you. I did it in a winter N.Atlantic storm in 1949. First and last time.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
What makes a "proper" sailor? Crossing the channel? Crossing an ocean? Surviving a storm? Surviving psittacosis? Reading this forum I've long been aware that there's one significant experience you "proper" sailors have all had which I haven't.

Fray Bentos. The dead animal contents were a bit of a blocker, but hey, it's 2020 now.

I just ate my first. I'm not down to the boat until wednesday so cheated and cooked it in a domestic oven. Is the under-pastry supposed to be that soggy? I have to say that the gelatinous "gravy" or whatever it's supposed to be was not appealing and I'm not loving the idea of another one but if the full initiation ritual requires me cooking and eating one onboard I'll do it.

snapshotimagehandler_290316582.jpeg
Having a bean in it puts it into the category of "Super yacht pie." True yachties only eat steak and kidney. The bean is for power boaters and snobs.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Oh my goodness. A tin of Spam will cost it’s own weight in gold in some parts of the Middle East. I recall a Friday breakfast with fried Spam. True luxury and fabulous taste too.

...and has anyone seen the price of corned beef these days? They were practically giving ti away when I was a much much younger version of the one I am now, but these days it costs an arm and a leg!